Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would like to know what is your "order" of tasks........i have just recently started doing trim work first then cutting in walls......seem to get a better line this way........have i been lost all along?? have most painters done it this way and i missed the boat?.........just curious about everyones style

·
Registered
217 Posts
We have always done top down, ceilings, walls then trim... personally I CAN cut a straight line on a 1/4 inch peice of trim... some can't.

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
this has come up before many times, but

**ceiling, trim, walls

I can cut like the rest of them, work smarter not harder though

**of course it can also vary depending on the product, the job, and other trades

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
this has come up before many times, but

**ceiling, trim, walls

I can cut like the rest of them, work smarter not harder though

**of course it can also vary depending on the product, the job, and other trades

Yep I agree ceilings, trim, walls.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have always done ceiling, walls, trim. I have tried doing trim before walls, but I always go back to walls then trim.
Sage

·
Banned
184 Posts
I have always done ceiling, walls, trim. I have tried doing trim before walls, but I always go back to walls then trim.
Sage
SAge you are Sage, you always paint trim last, no other way to do it, don't try to explain, you are wrong, I'm talking about you others, not sage...

·
Registered
11 Posts
whatever gets the job done more efficiently. We usually do ceilings first, trim as we're waiting for ceiling to dry, then walls. Don't lock yourself into doing it only one way. Now if you have a bunch of employees, it can be tough to get them thinking enough to decide which way is best, so in that case standardize, do it the same way every time. Aren't I a big help? :001_tongue:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi all and thanks for the input.......although i use to always do cielings walls then trim, i have found that i get a much better line when i do the trim before the walls.....i dont feel as though there is a right or wrong way BUSHDUDE.......i just think it is what ever works best for the painter and the job.......i think this forum is a great way for us to toss around ideas regarding what works for us and what doesnt.....everyone is different and works differently..........i think that we are all proffesionals and should be respected for our ideas and input

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
.....i think that we are all proffesionals and should be respected for our ideas and input
word to bigbird :thumbsup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
order of things

Hello, today I tried a different order of things as I had a large wall of bookshelves and window benches. I actually did the trim first (because I spray painted everything! I then gave two coats to the ceiling; end of first day, walls tomorrow! I found myself completely out of sorts, very disorganized trying something new. But it was interesting!

My two cents.

Eric (newbee here)

·
17,849 Posts
Hello, today I tried a different order of things as I had a large wall of bookshelves and window benches. I actually did the trim first (because I spray painted everything! I then gave two coats to the ceiling; end of first day, walls tomorrow! I found myself completely out of sorts, very disorganized trying something new. But it was interesting!

My two cents.

Eric (newbee here)
Eric did you spray your ceilings? If so why spray trim first? was'nt there dusting on the trim?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts