Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be sanding down a previously clear coated table. Not sure what was on it before.
Looking for suggestions on a product to Recoat (preferably waterbased ).
I'm in Canada and have access to BM and SW and Dulux. And of course the box stores..

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Going to be sanding down a previously clear coated table. Not sure what was on it before.
Looking for suggestions on a product to Recoat (preferably waterbased ).
I'm in Canada and have access to BM and SW and Dulux. And of course the box stores..

Just curious, is there a specific reason why you prefer waterbased? Oil-based Poly gives wood a warm glow, and so easy to use.

I re-finished my Dining Room table this winter, because the factory lacquer was breaking down. I used Minwax Oil Polyurethane and applied it with Steel Wool and rags- about 4 coats.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
EMTECH EM8000cv WB Conversion Varnish with EMTECH CL100 WB CrossLinker

https://www.targetcoatings.com/product/em8000cv-wb-conversion-varnish/

Just did a couple of tables with their flat which is more like a low satin..

The table pictured was previously finished by others in the same fashion that Holland mentioned with 4 coats of Minwax Wiping Poly. It only gets used on weekends, and experienced staining and finish failure shortly after its 2nd year in service.

Ended up buzzing the wiping poly off w/a Rotex followed by a half sheet sander. Water popped and sanded to #320. Applied 4 coats EM 8000 flat w/HVLP. Gave it a final hand rub w/000 bronze wool and wool lube. The EM 8000 CV provides that warm amber glow that oil does.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
BM just introduced a new waterborne poly that you can add a catalyst to.

Here it is.
https://myoldmasters.com/product/masters-armor/

The link doesnt show the hardening agent though...

1) Old Masters is not BM, and that product has been around for quite some time.
2) See my other thread regarding aziridine cross linker, ie you can add this type of catalyst to any waterborne polyurethane
3) Megavar WB urethane lacquer ;) (ps you can also add crosslinker to this precat finish as well)

·
Super Moderator
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EMTECH EM8000cv WB Conversion Varnish with EMTECH CL100 WB CrossLinker

https://www.targetcoatings.com/product/em8000cv-wb-conversion-varnish/

Just did a couple of tables with their flat which is more like a low satin..

The table pictured was previously finished by others in the same fashion that Holland mentioned with 4 coats of Minwax Wiping Poly. It only gets used on weekends, and experienced staining and finish failure shortly after its 2nd year in service.

Ended up buzzing the wiping poly off w/a Rotex followed by a half sheet sander. Water popped and sanded to #320. Applied 4 coats EM 8000 flat w/HVLP. Gave it a final hand rub w/000 bronze wool and wool lube. The EM 8000 CV provides that warm amber glow that oil does.
Jaazus. That stuff sounds incredible. Who carries the Emtech? Or Do I have to order that in..

·
Super Moderator
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just curious, is there a specific reason why you prefer waterbased? Oil-based Poly gives wood a warm glow, and so easy to use.

I re-finished my Dining Room table this winter, because the factory lacquer was breaking down. I used Minwax Oil Polyurethane and applied it with Steel Wool and rags- about 4 coats.
Your right about the warm glow, which is nice. Just don't like spraying oils in my shop. I'll probably shoot it with my hvlp or airless.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Ill have to recheck, but i could have sworn that the hardener was designed specifically for the mastors armor, and the guy at my BM store said it was new.

masters armor has its own optional 'hardener'. Its just coincidence that many BM stores decided to carry old masters after BM discontinued the benwood line of products. It has been available for a few years now anyway. Its a slow catalyst too, 48 hour pot life.

Ask your dealer about adding the Lenmar catalyst to stays clear, aquaplastic ;)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Jaazus. That stuff sounds incredible. Who carries the Emtech? Or Do I have to order that in..

Target Coatings is primarily an e-commerce business, so whether purchasing in the US or Canada, there are very few retailers. You can call Target Coatings directly for international shipping or try Canadian retailers listed below. The Canadian retailers only carry the more popular EMTECH products.

Just a note with any WB finishes on wear surfaces such as tabletops...just about any WB clear film finish below a 25% +/- sheen level will have a tendency to burnish/leave shiny rub marks when something is slid across the finished surface cross grain. I would recommend stepping up the sheen from the flat I used. A quick gentle swipe with 000 bronze wool knocks down rub marks if they should ever occur with flat.

Artdec
797 Avenue Granada
Rouyn-Noranda QC J9X 7B3
http://www.ardec.ca

Coast Signature Paints
1747 Boundary Road
Burnaby BC V5M 3Y7
http://www.coastpaint.com/

Coastec Industrial Paints Ltd.
116-7350 72nd Street
Delta BC V4G 1H9

Lee Valley Tools
Lee Valley Tools Store Locator

Wood Essence Distributing
2343 1st Avenue, North
Saskatoon, SK S7K2A2
http://www.woodessence.com/

·
Administrator
21,638 Posts
Target Coatings is primarily an e-commerce business, so whether purchasing in the US or Canada, there are very few retailers. You can call Target Coatings directly for international shipping or try Canadian retailers listed below. The Canadian retailers only carry the more popular EMTECH products.

Just a note with any WB finishes on wear surfaces such as tabletops...just about any WB clear film finish below a 25% +/- sheen level will have a tendency to burnish/leave shiny rub marks when something is slid across the finished surface cross grain. I would recommend stepping up the sheen from the flat I used. A quick gentle swipe with 000 bronze wool knocks down rub marks if they should ever occur with flat.

Artdec
797 Avenue Granada
Rouyn-Noranda QC J9X 7B3
http://www.ardec.ca

Coast Signature Paints
1747 Boundary Road
Burnaby BC V5M 3Y7

Coastec Industrial Paints Ltd.
116-7350 72nd Street
Delta BC V4G 1H9

Lee Valley Tools
Lee Valley Tools Store Locator

Wood Essence Distributing
2343 1st Avenue, North
Saskatoon, SK S7K2A2
http://www.woodessence.com/
Out here, my local Miller dealer carries a limited stock of Target Coatings. Or, they order in any that is desired but not in store. They are the ones who got me turned onto it and I love the 8000 for cabinets. But, I think if I were going to do a table top, I might still go with an oil based clear. Either way, clears work beautifully out of my HVLP. Would not even consider using an airless for those.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I’ve heard of people on other forums using floor finishes from Bona and Glitza for table tops.

If I really wanted to spray I’ve had excellent results with SW HydroPlus with the crosslinker. The performance characteristics should be very similar to the Emtec EM8000, which I’ve never had a chance to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I’ve heard of people on other forums using floor finishes from Bona and Glitza for table tops.

If I really wanted to spray I’ve had excellent results with SW HydroPlus with the crosslinker. The performance characteristics should be very similar to the Emtec EM8000, which I’ve never had a chance to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m with PNW on Glitsa solvent borne coversion varnish as being bulletproof for tabletops. The stuff is absolutely beautiful to work with. The only reason I don’t use it is that any solvent borne CV labeled or marketed for floor use cannot be distributed, sold, or used in my location, otherwise that would be my go-to finish. I think the VOC’s are just shy of 800g/l..

Ditto on the Bona 2-K finishes as well. Either the Bona Traffic Satin or Naturale would make for a bomb-proof tabletop finish. The only problem when spraying Bona-kemi is the potential for micro-bubbles and cratering due to CO2 production. They are engineered to be rolled, but you can achieve a flawless sprayed look with the proper roller. They also have terrible vertical hang properties and cannot be applied on vertical surfaces too effectively. I was going to use Naturale on the tabletop pictured, but the client is asthmatic, and has sensitivities with isocyanates.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I’m with PNW on Glitsa solvent borne coversion varnish as being bulletproof for tabletops. The stuff is absolutely beautiful to work with. The only reason I don’t use it is that any solvent borne CV labeled or marketed for floor use cannot be distributed, sold, or used in my location, otherwise that would be my go-to finish. I think the VOC’s are just shy of 800g/l..

Ditto on the Bona 2-K finishes as well. Either the Bona Traffic Satin or Naturale would make for a bomb-proof tabletop finish. The only problem when spraying Bona-kemi is the potential for micro-bubbles and cratering due to CO2 production. They are engineered to be rolled, but you can achieve a flawless sprayed look with the proper roller. They also have terrible vertical hang properties and cannot be applied on vertical surfaces too effectively. I was going to use Naturale on the tabletop pictured, but the client is asthmatic, and has sensitivities with isocyanates.

Have you used any of the lenmar wateborne megavar? I heard of people using it also with the lenmar crosslinker... Both those products contain no isocyanates.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
masters armor has its own optional 'hardener'. Its just coincidence that many BM stores decided to carry old masters after BM discontinued the benwood line of products. It has been available for a few years now anyway. Its a slow catalyst too, 48 hour pot life.

Ask your dealer about adding the Lenmar catalyst to stays clear, aquaplastic ;)
I was also told, that its not exactly a catalyst, as in, after the 48 hour pot life, the product is still perfectly usable, but the crosslinker is no longer active after that time, but you can simply add more, so thats pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
wow.
hard to believe that 4 coats of oil-based polyurethane would fail in less than 2 years! I'm curious what a failure would look like.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Have you used any of the lenmar wateborne megavar? I heard of people using it also with the lenmar crosslinker... Both those products contain no isocyanates.
I never did try the MegaVar WB PU, although I have used and do like the Lenmar oil PU. Any KCMA testing done on the MegaVar WB? I heard the DuraLaq has poor chemical resistance..409, Windex, etc..

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
wow.
hard to believe that 4 coats of oil-based polyurethane would fail in less than 2 years! I'm curious what a failure would look like.
I have wiping finishes (oil-resin mixtures) on most of my tabletops, wood countertops, and furnishings in my own house. I periodically apply a maintenance coating and all is fine. I like minimalist wiping finishes much better than plastic film finishes.

Failure was hard-water related, the tap water having a high iron content creating gray stains within the wood.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
kinda surprised you're not doing a traditional shellac finish (French Polish)
nudge, nudge.
I did a French Polish on my living room coffee table, setting a hot pizza box down on it, the heat melting the finish and the cardboard getting stuck to it..the finish having -zero- alcohol resistance as well, so no more beer and pizza on game nights..think I’m getting a new coffee table with a more alcohol and heat resistant finish!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts