Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Rock On
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually use Cabot's "Clear"
It's got a little hint of golden brown which works well when the wood has been cleaned and brightened

I have a customer that wants to keep the sort of driftwood silver/gray look the deck has achieved, but wants oil protection
They do no want a gray stain (Cape Cod Gray, Platinum Gray, etc..)

Is there a "clearer" clear oil out there?

·
Rock On
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Slinger
What's TWP?

·
Rock On
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks
I sent them a message as to local dealers, they don't have a listing for them
I can't do mail order, if I need an extra gallon (sometimes these decks suck it up) I can maybe wait a few hours or a day, but not a few days to finish

Wood Tux I haven't seen around here either
But then, I haven't been looking for it really

·
Rock On
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha ha...just googled Wood Tux and got a bunch of links to Contractor Talk Forums...ha ha

Anyone have a link to a site by them?

·
Registered
217 Posts
BTW, I believe the name comes from Total Wood Products.... or protection.. something, but just look for a "clear" that has a high soild content... not sure about Cabots, I really never use it, but for a clear in your case you need a high soild content to seal and protect without color.

·
Rock On
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm...I think I found the Tux boys under Extreme Solutions
There's no listing of retailers
I don't think mail order is gonna do it for me

·
Epoxy Dude
566 Posts
It is pretty hard to beat Cabot clears for long term durability. I did some testing several years ago on a boat dock using some resins from a raw material supplier vs. the top 15 sellers.

Cabot finished first... by a long shot!
I think a product from California Paints was second
The raw materials suppliers resins (formulated) finished third.
Guess where Thompson finished... lol... dead last!

All of the products were clear...

Of course, these companies change formulations just about every year... but... Cabot is almost always in the top 3! Of course, now that they have sold out to Valspar... it's all up in the air! I give them one more year before the big monster company starts dumbing down the formulations... :mad:

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
As of now Vals-par has not changed anything with cabot. Let's hope they don't. I use cabots exterior stains and paints all season long so I have been watching this situation carefully...

BTW Valspar owns, goof off, quikrete products, plasti kote, a few others also. no different then other big boys buying up stuff..

Doing a search on TWP it is a naphtha based formula, which is very similar the stuff from Sikkens that I use, what is Woodtux made from? And no I can't find any links to it either.

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
Yeah its been close to 2 yrs I think but no they haven't change ProVT. Thats what I sue all summer long too.

Paintwerks are you having trouble finding cabot products now?

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
I get mine at my local hardware/lumber yard I am in a small town. If I am on a job site in Naperville / Dowersgrove and I need some cabot I have to goto Ace hardware. I am familiar with Epco mostly up north though. I went to one for supplies when I had a big job in Evanston last year. They carry BM and PPG also correct?

Sorry for hi-jacking thread.. Were getting off topic.

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
yes Valspar has the exclusive rights for paint at Lowes similar to HD and Behr. Lowes bought in Cabot to draw people into the stores to buy there Valspar line of paints. they do not carry a lot of it and a full line.

There pricing for it also is higher then I pay at my lumber yard! So they are not giving any one a break on it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts