Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Property Manager
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon,
In the process of painting a 12' long bookcase/cabinet job I had to respray this center piece due to a couple of runs in the upper area. Prepped it all and was get ready to paint and I tripped and knocked it off the sawhorses. Now I have the crack you see, no other damage. . This was a glued and screwed joint. I wasn't sure how I was going to repair it but I knew I needed to sand it so I started there w/320 but in my frustration and haste I over heated the paint and went from bad to worse. Very disappointed in myself and now not certain the best way to repair so it doesn't crack on installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
Property Manager
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I turned my back on it today. Not in the right frame of mind. I do know I can't flex the joint to open the crack so maybe the joint held but the spot putty and paint cracked? I did give the pocket screws a twist and they were tight.
I don't think the crack is large enough to allow me to work no more nails into it. I'm assuming it's a thick product?
Thinking about some thin CA glue into the joint. If it accepts alot I'll know the glue joint separated. If nothing flows into the joint I would think it's only paint cracked.
I know CA glue is brittle but....
Thoughts?

The thing that hacks me off is the runs were more like sags and were on the shelf side of the upper opening, above eye level. But did I leave it as is? Nooooooo

1 - 2 of 2 Posts