Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a project coming up where I will need 1-2 dozen lightweight shields. I am planning on buying Luan Plywood and cutting it into the sizes I need.

I would like to coat the plywood to make cleaning off the Latex that I will be spraying easier.

I have considered:
  • Oil based paint (Satin, Semi-gloss, Gloss?)?
  • Hybrid paint (Breakthrough, Cabinet coat, etc.)?
  • Polyurethane?
  • Or one of the above, then coated with furniture wax or coated with spray silicone?
Any suggestions? Is there a better way that I have not considered?

ALSO, do you coat your metal spray shields with anything to make cleaning easier?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,818 Posts
I have a project coming up where I will need 1-2 dozen lightweight shields. I am planning on buying Luan Plywood and cutting it into the sizes I need.

I would like to coat the plywood to make cleaning off the Latex that I will be spraying easier.

I have considered:
  • Oil based paint (Satin, Semi-gloss, Gloss?)?
  • Hybrid paint (Breakthrough, Cabinet coat, etc.)?
  • Polyurethane?
  • Or one of the above, then coated with furniture wax or coated with spray silicone?
Any suggestions? Is there a better way that I have not considered?

ALSO, do you coat your metal spray shields with anything to make cleaning easier?

Thanks,
Brian
1-2 dozen? You must have a big crew? What is it that your painting mostly.?They do make metal Paint shields that are pretty easy to wipe clean as is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1-2 dozen? You must have a big crew? What is it that your painting mostly.? They do make metal Paint shields that are pretty easy to wipe clean as is.
I am relatively new to painting (less than 2 years), and we are a new company. So, I'm still trying to learn EFFICENT ways to get stuff done.

My idea was to use a bunch of cheap shields under baseboard to protect the carpet, spray the base, and then clean the shields all at once (maybe spray off with garden hose and let dry in sun?).

Is there a better/more efficient way to get this done?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,818 Posts
I am relatively new to painting (less than 2 years), and we are a new company. So, I'm still trying to learn EFFICENT ways to get stuff done.

My idea was to use a bunch of cheap shields under baseboard to protect the carpet, spray the base, and then clean the shields all at once (maybe spray off with garden hose and let dry in sun?).

Is there a better/more efficient way to get this done?

Thanks!
I'd probably just use a masker with tape and 9" paper. I hate wiping off spray shields. Such a mess. Either that or slide some cardboard under there, if it will fill fit..

·
Registered
812 Posts
When you pull the Shield out from under the base, you're going to get paint on the floor.

For factories, I just use cardboard at the base of walls, so I can get paint right to the floor. But the occasional spot on the floor in a dirty factory isnt a big deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts