Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished painting the white railings of this house, (below is a before pic). Since no other painting was done, and these were going to be repainted white over white, my plan was to just brush & roll them. BM pumped 2 more oz/gal of white in and they called it their "Hi-Hide", but nothing could be further from the truth. I didn't have the option to add umber, black or even blue to improve the hide, since the existing white trim was just a stock white.

After cleaning, I sanded thoroughly with flexible sponges and maroon scotchbrites, dusted, and wiped down with damp microfiber cloths. I then proceeded to brush & roll, using a myriad of roller covers; everything from Wooster 1/4" Prodooz FTP to 5/16" Microplush to HD's premium rebranded Linzer 3/8's. Absolutely no combination was favorable. Granted, this is smooth steel we're talking about here, but still, 4 coats white over white didn't make it look solid. (This was all on the upper rails, since I hadn't even touched the lower ones at this point). Couldn't believe how runny Command was either. I actually had to open another can of it to see if it was a mistake.

After trying a small sample area on the 5th coat and still wasn't passable, I got pissed and just draped the front of the house in 6 mil plastic, masked tight in a few areas, and sprayed 2 quick back-to-back coats with my little GX19 with TriTech 208 FFLP tip on the uppers and 3 solid coats on lowers. The time it took to mask & spray everything was about what it took to brush & roll 3 of the coats on the uppers, so I don't regret switching gears.

Since this is still a new product, I wanted to ask those of you who have brushed & rolled Command, what have you had success with? If possible, please specify the cover type, nap, as well as surface you painted. Although I absolutely loved the way it sprayed, brushing and rolling Command has me baffled right now.

Garfield Rails.jpg

·
Registered
Finish Work
21 Posts
Troy, sorry to hear that this happened to you while on a job site.

We have not used Corrotech Command yet, but I was very interested in trying it. My impression of it was that it appeared to be the next generation of Advance (e.g. great leveling and durability without the long dry times).

I'm now reading a bunch of stuff saying that unlike Advance, it dries very soft. While we're on the topic, can you comment regarding your impression of how hard it dries?

·
Monarchski
194 Posts
Just finished painting the white railings of this house, (below is a before pic). Since no other painting was done, and these were going to be repainted white over white, my plan was to just brush & roll them. BM pumped 2 more oz/gal of white in and they called it their "Hi-Hide", but nothing could be further from the truth. I didn't have the option to add umber, black or even blue to improve the hide, since the existing white trim was just a stock white.

After cleaning, I sanded thoroughly with flexible sponges and maroon scotchbrites, dusted, and wiped down with damp microfiber cloths. I then proceeded to brush & roll, using a myriad of roller covers; everything from Wooster 1/4" Prodooz FTP to 5/16" Microplush to HD's premium rebranded Linzer 3/8's. Absolutely no combination was favorable. Granted, this is smooth steel we're talking about here, but still, 4 coats white over white didn't make it look solid. (This was all on the upper rails, since I hadn't even touched the lower ones at this point). Couldn't believe how runny Command was either. I actually had to open another can of it to see if it was a mistake.

After trying a small sample area on the 5th coat and still wasn't passable, I got pissed and just draped the front of the house in 6 mil plastic, masked tight in a few areas, and sprayed 2 quick back-to-back coats with my little GX19 with TriTech 208 FFLP tip on the uppers and 3 solid coats on lowers. The time it took to mask & spray everything was about what it took to brush & roll 3 of the coats on the uppers, so I don't regret switching gears.

Since this is still a new product, I wanted to ask those of you who have brushed & rolled Command, what have you had success with? If possible, please specify the cover type, nap, as well as surface you painted. Although I absolutely loved the way it sprayed, brushing and rolling Command has me baffled right now.

View attachment 112340
I love the Command product but not for brushing and rolling. It's more of a spray only/mostly product and has a great recoat time. They don't make an 01 stock white and adding a couple of oz of white colorant did nothing to help the hide. I would have probably just used their DTM on this job.

·
Monarchski
194 Posts

We have not used Corrotech Command yet, but I was very interested in trying it. My impression of it was that it appeared to be the next generation of Advance (e.g. great leveling and durability without the long dry times).

I'm now reading a bunch of stuff saying that unlike Advance, it dries very soft. While we're on the topic, can you comment regarding your impression of how hard it dries?
I've found the exact opposite. It gets very hard, in fact you really need to scuff sand after the first coat or you'll get little micro-fisheyes from the product trying to adhere to itself. I used the black redoing exterior aluminum windows and it worked great but I masked and sprayed them. I wouldn't try brushing and or rolling outside except in small areas.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I've found the exact opposite. It gets very hard, in fact you really need to scuff sand after the first coat or you'll get little micro-fisheyes from the product trying to adhere to itself. I used the black redoing exterior aluminum windows and it worked great but I masked and sprayed them. I wouldn't try brushing and or rolling outside except in small areas.
I'll be painting my floor with it soon going directly over old oil porch and floor, I saw on some internal BM forum that another store did that and put gold flake into the stock black.

·
Super Moderator
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I will do some pencil hardness tests over various substrates when I get a chance, but the one thing Command was NOT lacking was hardness. Extremely fast dry times, especially trying to paint in full sun. Very early blocking as well...so much so that I could paint the top rail below my ladder, paint a few more things for 15 min, then climb over the rail without even marring the finish.

·
Super Moderator
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was not my first choice for product, not even my 2nd choice, but I thought it'd be among the best products I could find readily available, given this was a last-minute request. The owner of the home is a Christmas Light Customer of mine and asked if I could squeeze in these railings before his 4th of July party, and since he pays me $2,000-$2,500 each year for lighting, I wanted to accommodate. It started out as a total disaster, with coat after coat not covering, and honestly, I was embarrassed. He understood if I did the job that I'd be using an untested paint and having to learn on the job, which is something I haven't done in a long time, and it was easy to remember why.

I will try again in the shop when I have time to play with Command, but for sure I'll only use it in the future when the surface to be painted can be sprayed. I read everything I could find on PT and even FB Painting Groups. Couldn't find a single mention of specific roller cover type & nap which yielded good results, although a few folks made claims that they were able to brush & roll it with success.

If anyone has insights or useful tips when working with Command, please feel free to contribute. Whether it's regarding roller cover & nap, best brush they've had success with, which extender to use, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
This was not my first choice for product, not even my 2nd choice, but I thought it'd be among the best products I could find readily available, given this was a last-minute request. The owner of the home is a Christmas Light Customer of mine and asked if I could squeeze in these railings before his 4th of July party, and since he pays me $2,000-$2,500 each year for lighting, I wanted to accommodate. It started out as a total disaster, with coat after coat not covering, and honestly, I was embarrassed. He understood if I did the job that I'd be using an untested paint and having to learn on the job, which is something I haven't done in a long time, and it was easy to remember why.

I will try again in the shop when I have time to play with Command, but for sure I'll only use it in the future when the surface to be painted can be sprayed. I read everything I could find on PT and even FB Painting Groups. Couldn't find a single mention of specific roller cover type & nap which yielded good results, although a few folks made claims that they were able to brush & roll it with success.

If anyone has insights or useful tips when working with Command, please feel free to contribute. Whether it's regarding roller cover & nap, best brush they've had success with, which extender to use, etc.

Thanks for the replies.
I was just rolling some on smooth mdf boards using whizz microlon 1/4" bronzetone satin. left a bit of an orange peel stipple but not bad could be better. Would be interested to try some flocked foam with this product

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,046 Posts
That's not very encouraging. I haven't tried brushing just pure white in the Command.. Although I tested out the stock black Satin and High Gloss. Both sprayed really well, but did not brush and roll well at all. Left a bunch of micro bubbles. Too bad as I was hoping this would be a good choice for front metal doors. However if I cant get the stuff on quick enough without bubbles or heavy stipple it's gonna be a crappy day. Might I add, The Super spec DTM Acrylic is not much easier to brush and roll in hot weather. Sprays OK, but sets up way too fast for a good finish. Still on the hunt for a good brush friendly exterior door paint. Oil?:unsure:

·
Monarchski
194 Posts
That's not very encouraging. I haven't tried brushing just pure white in the Command.. Although I tested out the stock black Satin and High Gloss. Both sprayed really well, but did not brush and roll well at all. Left a bunch of micro bubbles. Too bad as I was hoping this would be a good choice for front metal doors. However if I cant get the stuff on quick enough without bubbles or heavy stipple it's gonna be a crappy day. Might I add, The Super spec DTM Acrylic is not much easier to brush and roll in hot weather. Sprays OK, but sets up way too fast for a good finish. Still on the hunt for a good brush friendly exterior door paint. Oil?:unsure:
Have you tried Regal Select Ext Soft Gloss? Love that product and it brushes out well.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have brushed and rolled it a few times and it covered ok. I believe it was just a purdy white dove mini roller cover. I think it was 1/4 inch on doors and 1/2 inch on closet walls and shelves. It took 3 coats for me to cover over an old cream/yellow trim doors and closets. 3 is not ideal but honestly par for the course when doing a pure white. I will be interested in the pencil hardness test. It did seem to get hard fairly quickly. I doubt it gets as hard as oil but its got to be close.

·
Super Moderator
7,030 Posts
I covered in one coat of bin and two command on a set of cabinet frames that were previously a dark color. I can't recall the color used but it was a bluish/grey off white which is probably why it covered so well. I've found it to level out the best when rolled with a microfiber and tipped off with a brush.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts

Thanks for the replies.
I haven't used Command, but I have done a number of metal railings.
Your railings look good! A lot of railings to re-caot 3-4 times. That must have been frustrating!!

We use a PPG Direct To Metal product (I think Durethane).

In those situations I have had good luck using 3/8" microfiber.

The paint is a different consistency than other outdoor paint I have used and applies like an epoxy or enamel, and tends to run and sag if over-applied, but difficult to tell if its over-applied until you go back and see the runs and sags. We listen for the "sizzling bacon" sound, which lets us know we are applying the correct paint thickness.

·
Super Moderator
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think what bothers me the most about the situation is that I spoke to 2 guys at my local BM store and described the scope of work and that I'd be brushing/rolling. They both said that Command would be great. They clearly weren't speaking from real-world experience though. I'd rather have no advice vs. bad advice, so I'll be following up with them to make sure they know not to recommend Command to others when brushing/rolling is the mode of application, (at least not on exteriors). Maybe the addition of an extender/retarder would help, but I was working with enough unknowns as it was, so I chose not to use any.

·
Super Moderator
7,030 Posts
I think what bothers me the most about the situation is that I spoke to 2 guys at my local BM store and described the scope of work and that I'd be brushing/rolling. They both said that Command would be great. They clearly weren't speaking from real-world experience though. I'd rather have no advice vs. bad advice, so I'll be following up with them to make sure they know not to recommend Command to others when brushing/rolling is the mode of application, (at least not on exteriors). Maybe the addition of an extender/retarder would help, but I was working with enough unknowns as it was, so I chose not to use any.
Ya I would never consider using it on an exterior in the summer brush and roll. It dries so fast in a climate controlled house I can't even imagine using it outside.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,046 Posts
Ya I would never consider using it on an exterior in the summer brush and roll. It dries so fast in a climate controlled house I can't even imagine using it outside.
That's what I was wondering. Thought this would be great for a front door, especially with the low temperature application quality. But in warmer weather, I just don't see keeping a wet edge on an entire door?? Maybe some extender.? Sucks about the coverage abilities in white all the same..

·
Super Moderator
7,030 Posts
I finished a cabinet job with Breakthrough yesterday Revere Pewter on the bottoms and sw Pure White on top. The frames on the top took one coat of bin and four coats of Breakthrough brush and roll, bottoms three coats total. So I'm not stranger to these types of paints taking a lot of coats to cover in white but I had more hope for command. Week after next I'm using Command again in a white, we'll see how it does.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Sprayed some custom bronzetone command satin (stock bronzetone +1oz black & blue)/ Sprayed wonderful with a 1.8mm and C-HS aircap thinned roughly 15% with water and 8psi on an apollo power5. Great coverage and was dry to handle within minutes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts