Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
commercial estimating

anybody have pricing per foot for base molding or a square foot charge for walls?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what I have been doing, but it gets tricky on big jobs. your from st. louis like me what are you charging a hour? I try to get 40.00 an hour but it has been rough lately. a lot of low ballers

·
Registered
745 Posts
There can be no legitimate price per ft that would apply nationwide.

Too many other factors, state, regional, and local.

Even seasonal and site specific factors must be considered.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'll give youy a couple numbers to play with but I have to caution you that they are based on very general production and rate numbers. I do estimating for a few contractors and usually get all my numbers (take-offs) then apply certain production rates and then plug in their rates and profit margins.

Try these numbers on a typical 10'x12'x8' room and see if it works

for 2 coats on 8" base (no filling nail holes) $2.50/ft

for 3 coats on drywall - $.70/sf

let me know what you get I'm curious

Mndk

·
Flog a Mocker
1,493 Posts
Mandrake, I don't mean to hijack the thread but, my brother-in-law currently works for a large construction management company and has done quite a bit of estimating. He asked me a couple weeks ago about estimating for me after hours for a percentage of any awarded jobs.

You said you estimate for several, what type of arrangement is there if I were to hire your services, hypothetically.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tonyg

I hate to be obtuse but there's a couple factors that determine how much I get for estimating. Some of the other members could probably help in this regard much better than me

There are 2 commercial contractors I do estimating for. In most cases I actually go to the site (when required) meet with the representatives, go over the plans, ask the questions, make the calls, and then run the numbers. In those cases I am on the clock and have an hourly figure ,$--.00/hr

In a strict case of simply looking at plans, doing a take-off and then crunching some numbers you will probably have to look at some type of graduated system based on job size. I just did a 20k interior commercial remodel estimate that took about 8 hours due to numerous clarifications. It was a fairly complex project. Other 20k jobs might take me 2-4 hours.

A system somewhere around 1% with a bonus for landing the job would probably work - run the numbers and see. It obviously depends upon your region, competition, and profit margins.

Hope this helps. If i can be of any help drop me a private email. I do consulting on a number of areas including safety and management.

Mndrk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Mandrake,

My interests are similar, and am just looking for clarification. Is your compensation 1% of the bid price? How are bonuses structured? As a percentage bid price also? Flat rate?

I am starting to do some take-offs for a painting contractor: basically calculating areas and quantities and putting a package together, and the contractor is going to put the prices to my numbers. How much would you pay someone to do take-offs? He offered me a bonus for jobs we land also, but I don't know what to charge for the work. Hourly? Graduated rate?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts