Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
19,651 Posts
In all seriousness, I prefer the dark mode versus the light. It just seems a bit easier to differentiate between quotes, posts, signatures, and any other stuff - at least to me.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,813 Posts
In all seriousness, I prefer the dark mode versus the light. It just seems a bit easier to differentiate between quotes, posts, signatures, and any other stuff - at least to me.
Sometime soon, hopefully in November, we will be seeing an update that will help with readability.

·
Registered
688 Posts
One of the things I liked better about the old format/platform is just that IIRC, if I went to the main forum listing it would show the thread that had most recently gotten a reply along with the user name who gave the last reply. I found that convenient. With the new format, if I want to see what thread had the most recent response and by whom in one of the forums was (e.g. General Painting Discussion or Interior Wood Finishing), then I have to click in. I don't know if that can be changed, but I liked the old way better.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,813 Posts
One of the things I liked better about the old format/platform is just that IIRC, if I went to the main forum listing it would show the thread that had most recently gotten a reply along with the user name who gave the last reply. I found that convenient. With the new format, if I want to see what thread had the most recent response and by whom in one of the forums was (e.g. General Painting Discussion or Interior Wood Finishing), then I have to click in. I don't know if that can be changed, but I liked the old way better.
I can pass on your feedback to the developers.

If you click on NEW you will see all new UNREAD posts, in chronological order, along with who made the last reply.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The resurrection of old threads has gone off the rails. I understand that websites survive as click-bait and this is related to the "recommended for you" thing. But that's got to go. There needs to be a balance between click bait and serving the purposes of the board.

Like someone else (Masterwork?) in one of the resurrected threads I have to wonder about the old warning of replying to an old thread. Obviously some users - especially new ones - might not care or understand. But as far as glitches on the new site go, this is actually becoming a big one.

·
Administrator
19,651 Posts
Apparently the system is just randomly picking past threads to “recommend” but that particular problem is being addressed and will be fixed. There is no effort to place “clickbait” for our members to waste time on. For now, just do what I’ve been doing and ignore the recommended reading feature for now.

Reactions: Holland

·
Registered
704 Posts
*Adding this discussion to correct thread:

I love how easy it is to add photos to posts in this new format!
Overall the new forum is better! Looks good and is organized! Must have been a lot of work to get it this far. there is a lot of content!!

---

Spitballing here.
I'd like to see more photos of members' work, and I'd like them to be added to the "new" feed in a way that encourages sharing and discussion... I don't know how this should be done, but that is what I would like to see.

We need more "photo" posts, imo, of members work. They add a lot of visual interest, and inspires. The "Showcase" does not make sense to me. Is that supposed to mean something? Is it different than Gallery?

example: I noticed Kevyn posted a lot of new pictures recently (great examples of work!) in the "showcase" (whatever that is), but they did not come up in the "new" feed, and then I had trouble finding them again when I wanted to comment. I only saw them accidentally, and do not remember how I found them.

---

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 10.42.02 AM.png

Maybe an icon link
next to the "new" icon (in header) that links to a showcase thread, or submenu- or something? Something easy that encourages photo posts? Just spitballing.

---

Also, have a personal gallery that does not link to new feed automatically , in case members want their profile to have a gallery, but not share with the new feed. This probably exists, but I need help understanding it, and I'm probably not the only one. I thought the gallery setting in the previous format was easier to use (more intuitive and user-friendly).

---

*Feels a little awkward to me. Help me understand.
I don't understand what's going on here, why would anyone want to look at this? (It looks messy and random- like my desktop when I have too many pictures open- in other words I avoid looking at this subconsciously)

·
Administrator
19,651 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Site developers need to hear from members so they know about areas not working effectively or so information about how to deal with them can be given.
I’ve complained about a few things myself but then had it explained how I was either not finding certain things that were in place or that I was just not aware of new processes which would address my complaints. Regardless, if we don’t hear of any concerns, they can’t be dealt with.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,813 Posts
Within NEW it does have a tab for New Showcase and also for NEW Gallery.

What is the Difference Between the Showcase and Gallery?

Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on content you wish to share. Showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas gallery would be like a photo album.

How to Create a Showcase?

From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click the 3 vertical dots to open the drop-down menu and select “Showcase”.

From the Showcase page, click on “Add item” in the right-hand corner.

A popup will appear at the top. Click on “showcase”.

A form will open for you to fill in the blanks, such as title, tags, general information, etc.

Scroll down to “General Information” to content and images, in the same way that you would for writing a post. The first image added will be the cover photo.

Add any additional item details, and “Save”.

If you want to make any changes, including choosing a different cover photo from the images you added, you can do so by editing your showcase.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,813 Posts
A feature that I like is how you can share the images within one of your albums within a post.

Just choose one of your albums. (Open it.) and then copy the code below "Copy GALLERY BB code"

Example below.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,813 Posts
How To Remove Cardview Announcement

Click on OK to close the announcement

How To Change View Mode
Click the 3 vertical dots in the upper right-hand corner of the site. Select View Mode

Choose the Forum View you prefer and click OK.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Something is broken. Clicking on "New" does seem to bring up the threads with the most recent comments.

But under "New" is "Threads below have not been updated since your last visit." But IDK how that list is built as it doesn't include a complete list of the most recent threads with replies. There are lots of live discussions that don't show up in that list. I.e. discussions with recent replies seem to just disappear.

"New" should be a spot where something like the X # of threads (regardless of forum) to get posts should be visible. It's handy to know what hasn't been updated "since your last visit" - but there should still just be a running timeline of posts last updated. That's now how it's working right now. I engage in a thread and then it disappears unless I go dig for it.

EDIT:
I was finding this hard to explain but let me elaborate:
Today I posted a question thread here: but unless there is literally NEW post, I can only find it since I knew which forum I asked it in.

And this entry (Community Feedback: New Forum Software Is Live!). It will also disappear from my view because it won't show up under "New" under the "not been updated since your last visit." The "not been updated since your last visit" is the problem. It's a weird archaic list that seemingly had nothing to d with the most recent activity on the site.

Stuff's broken. I suspect it's the normal reason - programmers are not users.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Not an edit but just a separate reply. I can now come in and click "New" and still not see my own message. I have to go hunting for it through the maze of "forums." "New" should just be all of the latest things that anyone said about anything in any forum or thread. This feature is broken.

·
Administrator
19,651 Posts
Not an edit but just a separate reply. I can now come in and click "New" and still not see my own message. I have to go hunting for it through the maze of "forums." "New" should just be all of the latest things that anyone said about anything in any forum or thread. This feature is broken.
Joe, try this;
Click on the “New” icon. When it shows up, look for the box that says ”Filters” over on the left, above the first listed thread. Open that and the first box marked, “Unread Discussions” should be checked - that is the default setting. Uncheck that and then check “Save as default” and the green “Filters” box and then see if that doesn’t give you what you want when it comes to seeing new stuff - including your own posts. After doing that, let me know if you are now getting the viewing option you wanted.

As a mod, I want to be able to see everything so I don’t have any of the boxes in Filters checked off. I find that to be the best set up for me personally, but you have the option to customize what you do or don’t want to see using the filter option.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts