Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

composite safe mold cleaner

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Respec 
I am looking at a job with wood railings with some mold / mildew . Railings currently have and is getting a refresh solid color stain. New composite decking. This is a first time situation for me. Will using a cleaner with bleach on the railings discolor the composite? I plan to wet it down first but just dont want to take a chance. Looking to hear from someone who has done this.
Trex has a footnote on their cleaning instructions that states:
**Use of products containing bleach or acid will lighten the surface of Trex. Use in an inconspicuous area to determine whether you like the effect. Neither product will affect the structural integrity of Trex.
So I would say yes.

I looked real quick and the only non-bleach mold killer I can find that is recommended for painted exterior wood is the Jomax House Cleaner and Mildew Killer. There are various others (Moldex, Concrobium Mold Control), but they are only recommended for hard, non-porous surfaces.

Jomax doesn't contain bleach but is a concentrate that you add bleach to. We use it all the time and mixing it to the recommended ratios has never affected a composite deck in a negative way.
I somehow completely missed that, thanks! That explains how it works without containing bleach, because you add the bleach yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.