Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else making the switch to cordless, or hybrid, lighting?

I haven’t made the switch to battery-powered lights exclusively, but there are times when it is just easier to have a cordless option.

I started using this Cordless Work Light (the DLCO77B)* a while ago, and has become me new work light 90% of the time.

Automotive lighting Helmet Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

DeWalt 12/20V DLCO77B Cordless Work Light

Dark Room:
Brown Rectangle Grey Font Pattern

One Work Light (notice shadow):
Property Building Black Lighting Interior design

Two Work Lights:
Building Ceiling fan Lighting Interior design Window

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I'm on Milwaukee M18 and have a couple of these. They're pretty awesome.
Automotive lighting Rectangle Gadget Automotive exterior Personal protective equipment

I'm also on M12 and have one of these, tho it's only one and more of a "lantern" than a serious work light. Also pretty awesome, though for when it fits the bill.
Liquid Kitchen appliance Home appliance Cylinder Machine

I'd not own either, of course, if I wasn't already on the battery platforms. I'd have to imagine there are stand-alone cordless you wouldn't need to pay as much for. But I haven't looked.

·
Registered
Property Manager
170 Posts
Nice Lights guys! I like the clamp idea.
A number of years ago I bought one the Ryobi jobsite leds since I had about a half dozen Ryobi batteries and was blown away. I now have 2 of them. Can be either battery powered or plug in. About 9 months ago I bought a Lutec 6290 off Amazon and it blew me away with the quality of the build and versatility. Seperate on/off switch for each lamp, dimmable and I can change color temp if I want. That feature alone has come in handy when HO or designers are giving final ok on color selection. I just dial it back to 2700/3000 then when I'm working, crank it up to 5k!. This thing puts out 11k lumens and I can aim each head in different directions. Simply awesome.
Edit: Just noticed the thread title said cordless. Ooops. The Lutec isn't cordless.

Automotive lighting Rectangle Automotive mirror Automotive exterior Bumper

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My only cordless is a little light by nebo. Takes the same charger as my android phone. Ok light but it dies relatively quick. After seeing some of those pics I might grab a DeWalt if they have a 12v light.
Depends on which platform you’re running. Milwaukee makes great lights, definitely strong competition is good for the consumer.

I have about a dozen DeWalt batteries (ranging from 2.5 to 6 ah), so glad that they finally came out with something that works.

These new(ish) cordless work lights are nice to have around! I find that pointing them at the ceiling gives a bright even light for the whole room, don’t have to worry about a 6’ cord, or hunting for an outlet.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My only cordless is a little light by nebo. Takes the same charger as my android phone. Ok light but it dies relatively quick. After seeing some of those pics I might grab a DeWalt if they have a 12v light.
Which Nebo Light do you have? I noticed there is at least one model that is 2000 Lumens.
Is it hybrid? Can it be plugged in if needed? I wish more light makers would give that option.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Nice Lights guys! I like the clamp idea.
A number of years ago I bought one the Ryobi jobsite leds since I had about a half dozen Ryobi batteries and was blown away. I now have 2 of them. Can be either battery powered or plug in. About 9 months ago I bought a Lutec 6290 off Amazon and it blew me away with the quality of the build and versatility. Seperate on/off switch for each lamp, dimmable and I can change color temp if I want. That feature alone has come in handy when HO or designers are giving final ok on color selection. I just dial it back to 2700/3000 then when I'm working, crank it up to 5k!. This thing puts out 11k lumens and I can aim each head in different directions. Simply awesome.
Edit: Just noticed the thread title said cordless. Ooops. The Lutec isn't cordless.
There have been significant advancements made in LED technology, and parallel advancements in battery technology. The batteries are getting better, and so are the LED lights.
Gone are the days of Blue, Purple or neon Yellow LED's that made everything look unnatural.

Being able to adjust the temperature has the potential to be a valuable option in the painting field. That is the kind of advancements I think are really great to see, and hope they become standard features, at the same time as the costs start coming down.

I have tried several battery-powered lamps over the last several years (5-10), but did not feel like they were nearly good enough for practical use out in the real world. I finally feel confident enough to change some (not all) of my lighting to battery-powered. Convenience and Functionality is the main reason. I find I use them more, and because they are small, I just leave them in the vehicle. Very convenient to have around (I pulled them out yesterday, in case we lose power- as we have been under severe storm warnings).

·
Registered
696 Posts
Which Nebo Light do you have? I noticed there is at least one model that is 2000 Lumens.
Is it hybrid? Can it be plugged in if needed? I wish more light makers would give that option.
I have the Omni 2k, it is the 2000 lumens one. I have a corded LED that seems to dwarf it in comparison as far as light output, but it definitely is handy. I haven't tried plugging it in when it's dead to see if it works, that's a good thought though, don't know why I hadn't thought of that.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have the Omni 2k, it is the 2000 lumens one. I have a corded LED that seems to dwarf it in comparison as far as light output, but it definitely is handy. I haven't tried plugging it in when it's dead to see if it works, that's a good thought though, don't know why I hadn't thought of that.
They are not as bright yet for sure - not quite as bright as the plug-in Husky LED Lamps, but close. Yes, they are handy!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
This light (DCL079B), gives out a little more light than its little brother (around 3000 lumens, vs 2000), but it takes up considerably more room, is much heavier, and cost three times more.

The built-in tripod is nice but it is little too big and bulky to use most of the time. It telescopes to 7' height, the light rotates 360 degrees, and it pivots up and down to a 90 degree angle (unfortunately it does not point downward).

The light is usable, but the sheer size and weight, and the cost, is a major deterrent to this unit, in my opinion.

View attachment 113117
I have this light and love it. Thinking about getting a second one. They are expensive and when I have it on the highest setting I have to use 2 6amp batteries for an 8 hour day. The 2 batteries and a high speed charger will most likely run around $300. But, I almost only buy Dewalt tools now, so worth the expense.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have this light and love it. Thinking about getting a second one. They are expensive and when I have it on the highest setting I have to use 2 6amp batteries for an 8 hour day. The 2 batteries and a high speed charger will most likely run around $300. But, I almost only buy Dewalt tools now, so worth the expense.
Pete,

Good to hear from you. Sounds like you use the cordless lights frequently?

Have you tried the smaller DeWalt light (DL077B)? I have both, and I prefer the little one. I didn’t think I would like that one, but that that’s the one I tend to reach for.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Pete,

Good to hear from you. Sounds like you use the cordless lights frequently?

Have you tried the smaller DeWalt light (DL077B)? I have both, and I prefer the little one. I didn’t think I would like that one, but that that’s the one I tend to reach for.
Hi Holland,
I have not tried the smaller one. I use the large one all the time, especially this time of year when the light starts to fade around 2pm. The biggest reason I got it was the adjustable lumes, although I usually use it at the highest setting. Is the smaller one adjustable?

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Holland,
I have not tried the smaller one. I use the large one all the time, especially this time of year when the light starts to fade around 2pm. The biggest reason I got it was the adjustable lumes, although I usually use it at the highest setting. Is the smaller one adjustable?

The small one is identical to the big version in terms of function: it has the same brightness adjust button (3 levels).

The small light is not quite as bright, but the only way you would know that is a side-by-side comparison.

The smaller size is a benefit, imo.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do these lights also take ac power? Do you not have ac power access?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Do these lights also take ac power? Do you not have ac power access?
They run on batteries. No chords. I think there is a way to put an adapter on it so it will take a plug, but I have never had issues running off of batteries.

·
Registered
70 Posts
They run on batteries. No chords. I think there is a way to put an adapter on it so it will take a plug, but I have never had issues running off of batteries.
I only asked because it seems like it would make sense to plug into ac power if the light is stationary and in use for eight hours straight. This would eliminate extra wear and tear on the expensive batteries.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts