Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of using Purdy (yes I know) I want to give something else a try. Searched around a bit last year and came across Corona but didn’t feel like ordering online at the time. Just found out a local store literally 2 minutes from me carries Corona now so I want to finally try one out. End goal is to ditch Purdy. I still like some of their brushes but the quality control has just gone down hill.

Corona
Instead of guessing which one to buy first I figured I’d ask people who have actually used them for advice. I wanna pick up a 2.5” angled sash to start and go from there. This will be specifically for interior latex painting only. In the future I will try other models but right now I am looking for something stiff enough to cut nice lines on the wall but one that can also be used for baseboard/trim without worrying too much about brush marks. With that said I am guessing I want something in the middle of the firmness scale? Other than that I just want it to clean EASY and hold it’s shape nice over time.

Wooster
I also see Wooster mentioned a lot here but the only local store I have that carries them is Home Depot. I’d be open to trying one of them based on what people from here recommend. I was searching around a lot and some people say HD Wooster are different from Wooster you can get elsewhere. Is there a “good” Wooster that HD carries and if so which one?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
After years of using Purdy (yes I know) I want to give something else a try. Searched around a bit last year and came across Corona but didn’t feel like ordering online at the time. Just found out a local store literally 2 minutes from me carries Corona now so I want to finally try one out. End goal is to ditch Purdy. I still like some of their brushes but the quality control has just gone down hill.

Corona
Instead of guessing which one to buy first I figured I’d ask people who have actually used them for advice. I wanna pick up a 2.5” angled sash to start and go from there. This will be specifically for interior latex painting only. In the future I will try other models but right now I am looking for something stiff enough to cut nice lines on the wall but one that can also be used for baseboard/trim without worrying too much about brush marks. With that said I am guessing I want something in the middle of the firmness scale? Other than that I just want it to clean EASY and hold it’s shape nice over time.

Wooster
I also see Wooster mentioned a lot here but the only local store I have that carries them is Home Depot. I’d be open to trying one of them based on what people from here recommend. I was searching around a lot and some people say HD Wooster are different from Wooster you can get elsewhere. Is there a “good” Wooster that HD carries and if so which one?
Corona cortez or the wooster ultra 'firm' are great brushes.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My boss loves Corona Chinex brushes. That's all I've used personally from them. I found for stiffness and feel they're sort of like Purdy if they didn't suck, if that makes any sense. They are definitely super easy to clean, and that's mainly why my boss likes them I guess.

I still prefer Wooster overall, Silver Tips in general, Gold Edge for thicker paints (stiffer.) I only buy my Wooster stuff from local Ben Moore stores, though my local PPG store also has a good selection. Never tried Home Depot Woosters. Lowes Woosters were meh quality, though the Wooster "Proclassic" could cut straight it held very little paint. Could just Amazon any brush you want now, theoretically. Oval Woosters in general are something else, and are the best, but my local store doesn't tend to carry them as much anymore. Some people don't like the oval shape but I love them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Corona cortez or the wooster ultra 'firm' are great brushes.
Thanks! The Cortez is the one I see mentioned the most and the one I keep learning towards. From my understanding that is a Tynex/Orel blend.

The other one I see mentioned a lot is the Vegas which is Tynex/Nylon.

I'm not too familiar with all the different materials so I am wondering what are the differences between those two that I mentioned. Which one is stiffer? Are they both Oval? Would one be better than the other for interior latex both cutting walls and trim? Thanks again!

·
Registered
203 Posts
vegas baby vegas. best brush imho. I have one that's gotta be 5 years old still performs great

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
My boss loves Corona Chinex brushes. That's all I've used personally from them. I found for stiffness and feel they're sort of like Purdy if they didn't suck, if that makes any sense. They are definitely super easy to clean, and that's mainly why my boss likes them I guess.

I still prefer Wooster overall, Silver Tips in general, Gold Edge for thicker paints (stiffer.) I only buy my Wooster stuff from local Ben Moore stores, though my local PPG store also has a good selection. Never tried Home Depot Woosters. Lowes Woosters were meh quality, though the Wooster "Proclassic" could cut straight it held very little paint. Could just Amazon any brush you want now, theoretically. Oval Woosters in general are something else, and are the best, but my local store doesn't tend to carry them as much anymore. Some people don't like the oval shape but I love them.
Purdy is the Toyota of brushes.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts

Those go on sale for $20, occasionally. I bought a pack as a sample and was so impressed (considering the cost) I went and bought 15 more packs.
Every nylon/poly brush I've ever owned ends up with paint stuck to individual bristles about halfway up. The paint doesn't clean off, and gradually gets thicker every time it is used and cleaned.

Also, the paint collects in and around the ferrule, eventually causing the (enviably soft) bristles to splay out like a dust brush. Cutting-in? Forget about it!
Would be interested to see how some of your older brushes look, if you have been able to keep them from looking like this...?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Every nylon/poly brush I've ever owned ends up with paint stuck to individual bristles about halfway up. The paint doesn't clean off, and gradually gets thicker every time it is used and cleaned.

Also, the paint collects in and around the ferrule, eventually causing the (enviably soft) bristles to splay out like a dust brush. Cutting-in? Forget about it!
Would be interested to see how some of your older brushes look, if you have been able to keep them from looking like this...?
I had a Wooster rep give me a Miami when they were re-introduced. (Wooster Miami) Black nylon. IDK the chemistry or why "black" nylon matters, but it cuts great and the easiest cleaning brush I've ever had. I though Chinex were great for easy clean up when I first got one. These black nylons - even easier.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I had a Wooster rep give me a Miami when they were re-introduced. (Wooster Miami) Black nylon. IDK the chemistry or why "black" nylon matters, but it cuts great and the easiest cleaning brush I've ever had. I though Chinex were great for easy clean up when I first got one. These black nylons - even easier.
pure nylon is pretty soft, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
pure nylon is pretty soft, isn't it?
It is pretty soft. I've grown to like that, largely for cutting out walls. But it's true it's not really an all-around, everything brush. But paint does not stick to it at all. Whatever dries up at the heel sloughs right off, and doesn't end up crudding up the ferrule.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
It is pretty soft. I've grown to like that, largely for cutting out walls. But it's true it's not really an all-around, everything brush. But paint does not stick to it at all. Whatever dries up at the heel sloughs right off, and doesn't end up crudding up the ferrule.
Please, can you post a picture of one of your older brushes! Curious to see how it ages.

"The original synthetic brush filament, black nylon was developed just before World War II and gained wide use in the next decade with the growth in use of water-based paints." Corona Website

"Nylon brushes are very durable but may soften in hot weather or after prolonged use in latex paint." Wooster Website

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Obviously this thread shows just how PERSONAL a paint brush is! I know for 40 years I've been on the lookout for the perfect brush for me (interior use) and, quite by accident, I discovered the Wooster Pro's at HD. Not a lot of painters use them, not a lot of positive feedback either, but, for me, they are perfect. Not too firm, not too soft. I love the amount of paint it holds and my cut-ins go fast!!! I mean, I hate those brushes that are soft and floppy and you spend twice as much time cutting in as you do rolling the walls.

Im not saying a Wooster Pro is right for everyone, but, if you catch them on sale at HD as you're strolling through, give them a look-see. At $12 a pop, you can buy 2 or 3 in comparison to the elite brushes like Corona.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts