Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Costco's Guide to Custom Painting: Hire CertaPro?

31K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  premierpainter 
#1 ·
I was on my way out of the Costco the other day and passed by those little booths they have for special orders and long behold they had one for custom painting.

In the kiosk they had large pictures of nicely painted homes and a large logo for CertaPro Painters. I picked up the brochure and they had a "Special Offer" for Costco members... "a FREE in-home consultation." :rolleyes:

Anyone else seeing these?

#5 ·
I certainly have problems with Certa Pro. But I do admire them marketing through CostCo.

Marketing is about getting your name out there. I may not admire a company, but I still try to learn from their marketing. Certa Pro paints more houses each year than I do. I have to attribute a lot of that to their marketing.

We tried a similar thing with a local flooring company. It had minimal impact, but we may bring the idea back on a bigger scale.

Brian Phillips

#12 ·
What do the ads say. Do you remember?
Well, going from memory (from last year, I haven't heard any this Spring)

It was a radio spot with "two homeowners" talking to each other
They were saying how they needed the house painted, but didn't want any dirty contractors messing up the house, and how contractors always lie and never call back etc...it really focused on bashing "other" contractors

#13 ·
corp. america is taking over everything. pretty soon well all have a boss that wares a suit and tie. I live in new york here thank god they keep targert, wall mart out, costco has some stores. certafoe does not have a franchisee in my areas. But i have Sales geine and i get sales figures and one staten island certafoe contractor did 1.5 mil in busness 2 years into. They are someting to learn from. they did a ton, of d-mail which i recieved, and posted signs everywhere(even illegally). You never see them in the newspaper but they are on cable tv. The owner of certa-foe never even touched a brush or roller in his life. They branded the word CERTANTY
which was brilliant because of this industrys fractional market (drunks looking to just eek through life) someone figured branding this industry would work and to a significant degree it has. In the next few years they may trample the entire suburban market. I think locally indy painters in order too survive will have to work more closely together in order to compete.

#23 ·
They have been the ad painter for Costco in CA for at least 3yrs or more. Costco is much more high end then the other chains. They promote quality so Certa Pro seems a natural fit for them (na franchise). The one thing I read about Costco is they will not bring your product into the stores unless they are less than (trying to remember the %) 10% of your gross sales. They do not want to put a business under that can't handle their needs. Not that a service provider has product in the store, but I am sure Costco gets a nice cut of the total contract.

I bought a garage door from Costco, and the company that did the work has a contract with Costco for better quality doors. I got an insulated door for the price of the non.

#24 ·
MikeCalifornia said:
They have been the ad painter for Costco in CA for at least 3yrs or more. Costco is much more high end then the other chains. They promote quality so Certa Pro seems a natural fit for them (na franchise). The one thing I read about Costco is they will not bring your product into the stores unless they are less than (trying to remember the %) 10% of your gross sales. They do not want to put a business under that can't handle their needs. Not that a service provider has product in the store, but I am sure Costco gets a nice cut of the total contract.

I bought a garage door from Costco, and the company that did the work has a contract with Costco for better quality doors. I got an insulated door for the price of the non.
Certa and high end quality go together like peanut butter and jelly.

#28 ·
MikeCalifornia said:

Any company can get into Costco. We had one competitor of our who sold lots from them. He gave a percentage of each contract sold. Doesn't mean your quality. It means your willing to pay a commish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.