Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
I don't know if it helps, but it does help in finding out where people are discovering you. That's the biggest benefit I see. It shows you which media forms people are using the most.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
It can give you a temporary spike in calls....depending on how big your marketing exposure is and how many people are seeing the ad.

I find $ off works better (ie better ROI) then a % off. Also, you should put some "small print" on that add. Not all work deserves a 10% off and there should be time limits to increase urgency.

·
Master Painter
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It can give you a temporary spike in calls....depending on how big your marketing exposure is and how many people are seeing the ad.

I find $ off works better (ie better ROI) then a % off. Also, you should put some "small print" on that add. Not all work deserves a 10% off and there should be time limits to increase urgency.

I just used that picture as an example . I don't use that in my advertising .

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I think its just bs, All people will think is you will add 10% to your price before you deduct the 10%. Its not like a specific item say as a toaster at target that is 10% less then at wallmart.

Pat
Especially since most coupons state "coupon must be presented BEFORE time of estimate".

Ummm... I wonder why? I get a kick out of those. I often wonder who can't see through that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
With the down economy people are now more than ever looking for better deals with coupons and promotions. The trick to coupons is to use dollars, not a percent as people don't equate that in their heads. And don't go too high on the price because they will think the number is just being inflated.

·
Estimator/Instructor
1,004 Posts
Yes, coupons increase sales.
Yes, people use more coupons in slower economy.
Highest percentage of coupon users are incomes between $25-$50k...not to say that $50-$100k don't use them.
I found this info on the net.

I can understand why you need to present coupon before in some cases such as items purchased, food, etc. I don't see the need if it's used for services unless the service pricing is automated.

·
Estimator/Instructor
1,004 Posts
I see some food stores give a price then a caption right next to it saying something like "Save 40 cents!"

·
Chicago Painting Pros
67 Posts
I have found that coupon clippers are a pain in the butt they are cheap give you a hassle to make sure you do more work for less money. I dropped coupons over 5 years ago best move ever. Clears out the cheapskates looking to give you grief..

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
A coupon is a good call to action. Here is a proof of a couple ads I run.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
i decided to try it!

Just wondering how are you going to do this? are you going to figure a price just like normal then deduct the 100 bucks? are you going to require the coupon first? I also noticed it's just for interior. Why not exterior?

btw - its a nice looking add :)

Pat

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Thanks, I waited till the last minute and hurried it, wish I had seen Ken's, would have put "Save $100" instead of "$100 off". I can change the next one.

I'll just do regular price and take the $100 off and write it off the marketing budget if anything comes out of it.
Our area has mostly siding or stucco homes, we only do a few exteriors a year.
The next one I may do a front door special, but that may be too targeted.

The price for the ad was cheap enough, and it will go in three papers, so I am considering it more as a branding opportunity.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I do not want the type of client that waves a coupon in my face.
Full price 24/7.
If I offer anything off it comes out of my pocket, and increasing volume by forfeiting profit is wholly against my business model.
Writing it off is cool, but what types of potential clients are you inviting? Seems as though you would get flooded with bargain hunters (tire kickers) that in the end will end up hiring the cheapest guy anyways.
Which I know for a fact nobody here is that guy. So after all the windshield time and smiles are wasted what is left?

I respect others in their business choices, but this is not for me.

I honestly hope to see this thread become a serious test bed for the coupon offers, and to read future results.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Well, I guess we just have different business models.
Wise, is all your work from referrals, besides the LPQ?

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Well, I guess we just have different business models.
Wise, is all your work from referrals, besides the LPQ?
Yes.
I do not advertise, or have a website so pretty much yup.
Starting all over again from scratch here in K.C. I cannot afford those things yet.
It's been 4 years and I have finally broken through in the scene as a viable contender (5 year plan is working).
I am serious here, I am always curious about the outcome of investing in areas other than direct advertising (web/ads/etc.).
LPQ was an experiment off the grid too, and I used full disclosure despite the slew of insults personal and otherWise.
I hope this works for you, and I want updates.

dammit.

:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts