Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

261 - 280 of 499 Posts

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Options for Handling a Pandemic:

1. Minimize the severity so as not to create a panic that can lead to shortages of common household items along with the collapse of the economy and then count your blessings that you've made it through it, e.g. H1N1 virus

2. Plan way ahead for a crisis of pandemic proportions, which no one has done since the days of duck and cover, as cocomonkeynuts points out

3. Deal with a pandemic as well as you can with the resources you have available and be better prepared next time.

What not to do

1. Don't politicize a crisis in order to validate incompetency in leadership you don't agree with. Particularly in the middle of the crisis.

This is a time when we need to work together and give each other hope rather than doom and gloom. We're better than that.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Because they are virtually all made in China. Manufactures in the US have to set up the equipment to make the masks, which takes time....and that equipment first had to be made...which takes time.
That's why it's so important to use the Defence Production Act to ramp up the production of ppe and ventilators especially, ventilators are essential in treating the most severe cases of this virus to save lives. They are complicated machines and each can cost up to $25,000. We as a country are woefully short on these life-saving devices. New York State alone may need up to 40,000 ventilators if the number of cases keeps increasing. Unless the Federal Gov. goes out and tells companies we need these things ASAP and funds them to get materials, machines, and a workforce to make ventilators and guarantees that their products will be sold, no companies are going to take this on without that assurance!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
No- that was Triumph, The Insult Comic Dog.
Is Conan sitting on the official government covid19 advisory board???

I thought I saw him on one of the press briefings, in the background. It was hard to tell if it was him, as so many people were crowded around the podium. And they were standing so close to each other. It was like trying to find Waldo...or Rand Paul at the Senate gym....:surprise:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #265

I thought I saw him on one of the press briefings, in the background. It was hard to tell if it was him, as so many people were crowded around the podium. And they were standing so close to each other. It was like trying to find Waldo...or Rand Paul at the Senate gym....:surprise:
What's up with some of these press conferences where their all crammed together like a can of sardines while telling us we have to keep a social distance? At least at the NY State briefings, they are spread out.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
What's up with some of these press conferences where their all crammed together like a can of sardines while telling us we have to keep a social distance? At least at the NY State briefings, they are spread out.
Well, not to over simplify things, but I think they're idiots. But, I hear, it's bad form to blame management when they're idiots- even when you don't...work... for them. I guess especially when you don't work for them.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

I missed that. Can't get any good information from them so, I'm not going to worry my pretty head over it.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
That's why it's so important to use the Defence Production Act to ramp up the production of ppe and ventilators especially, ventilators are essential in treating the most severe cases of this virus to save lives. They are complicated machines and each can cost up to $25,000. We as a country are woefully short on these life-saving devices. New York State alone may need up to 40,000 ventilators if the number of cases keeps increasing. Unless the Federal Gov. goes out and tells companies we need these things ASAP and funds them to get materials, machines, and a workforce to make ventilators and guarantees that their products will be sold, no companies are going to take this on without that assurance!

Exactly. In the short term the Defense production act would bypass all the economic barriers for private companies.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-are-made-in-america-to-deal-with-coronavirus

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Exactly. In the short term the Defense production act would bypass all the economic barriers for private companies.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-are-made-in-america-to-deal-with-coronavirus
That is why we need this to happen NOW not next year. If we produce too many ventilators they can all be stored away for use in the next pandemic if there is one. This also goes for N-85 masks, sterile gloves, face shields, hospital gowns, disinfecting wipes, and toilet paper!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
That is why we need this to happen NOW not next year. If we produce too many ventilators they can all be stored away for use in the next pandemic if there is one. This also goes for N-85 masks, sterile gloves, face shields, hospital gowns, disinfecting wipes, and toilet paper!
Those mask-making jobs ain't coming back here until greedy US workers quit demanding more than a dollar an hour...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

It wouldn't be like WWII though....the capacity is all in China, and so are many of the parts needed to make the machines to make the products we need.

I seriously think this has some bearing on the President's hesitation to invoke the DPA. He doesn't want to expose our lack of production capacity. It wouldn't look too good if the act were invoked and it still took several months before any finished products rolled off the lines.:sad:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Ventilators have a limited shelf life, from what I understand. Rubber seals and gaskets that degrade, I imagine. They at least require periodic maintenance while in storage. Not sure of the time frames.

We would be better positioned if we maintained production capacity to be able to quickly ramp up production to meet emergency demand.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
It's fiscally conservative to let old people- who are gonna die any ol' ways- take one for the team.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Until the H1N1 Flu pandemic of 2009 that wreaked havoc on the US with nearly 60 million infected, over a quarter million hospitalized, and roughly 14,000 dead across the board, there hadn't been a pandemic for over forty years! Now, we have a second pandemic within eleven years.

I think it's safe to say we need to be ready for more. And despite what anyone says about the hype of this particular Covid 19 pandemic, amidst an extremely polarized political climate no less, it is a critical lesson learned. Hopefully.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
It wouldn't be like WWII though....the capacity is all in China, and so are many of the parts needed to make the machines to make the products we need.

I seriously think this has some bearing on the President's hesitation to invoke the DPA. He doesn't want to expose our lack of production capacity. It wouldn't look too good if the act were invoked and it still took several months before any finished products rolled off the lines.:sad:
How is it that we put all of our eggs in one basket (China) to produce critical supplies? It's scary to think that 97% of the antibiotics used in the US are made in China. The Department of Commerce study found that 97 percent of all antibiotics in the United States came from China. “If you’re the Chinese and you want to really just destroy us, just stop sending us antibiotics".

It's time to pull our heads out of the sand and set up the infrastructure we need to be more self-sufficient in critical areas of need.
As Rosemary Gibson noted in her testimony, centralization of the global supply chain of medicines in a single country makes it vulnerable to interruption, “whether by mistake or design.” If we are dependent on China for thousands of ingredients and raw materials to make our medicine, China could use this dependence as a weapon against us. While the Department of Defense only purchases a small quantity of finished pharmaceuticals from China, about 80 percent of the active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) used to make drugs in the United States are said to come from China and other countries like India.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Ventilators have a limited shelf life, from what I understand. Rubber seals and gaskets that degrade, I imagine. They at least require periodic maintenance while in storage. Not sure of the time frames.

We would be better positioned if we maintained production capacity to be able to quickly ramp up production to meet emergency demand.
Then they could stockpile rubber seals and gaskets and replace them as needed. You don't junk your car because you have an oil leak.:surprise:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
It's fiscally conservative to let old people- who are gonna die any ol' ways- take one for the team.
I know someone who has a friend who is a high ranking FBI agent stationed in Italy. He has been loaned to the CDC over there and said the Italian Doctors are making an assessment of older people with complications and deciding which ones will get put on a ventilator.

In his news briefing, this morning Gov. Cuomo said the Italians are putting two people on one ventilator because there aren't enough to go around. He said healthcare officials are studying that in NY in case they have the same situation.

261 - 280 of 499 Posts