Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

321 - 340 of 499 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
We have friends who live in one of those large retirement enclaves in Florida (not The Villages, but similar). We were talking the other day and sharing how supermarkets in both our areas now have special times for seniors to come in and shop. He told me he has never seen their market so busy and it was only 7:05am.
I suggested that back where they are maybe the markets should have special times only for those under sixty - that might actually make a difference. :devil3:
I've heard similar reports of stores in PA that are doing the same. And they don't check ID to verify age at any of the stores in PA. More of a PR stunt than any real effective measure.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
While we were all happily going about our business a couple of years ago (when no concerns of pandemic were taking place) the following was taking place in the US:

CDC 2018-2019 US Seasonal Influenza Report

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated:

1. 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza

2. 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness

3. 490,600 hospitalizations,

4. 34,200 deaths from influenza (Table 1).

The number of influenza-associated illnesses that occurred last season was similar to the estimated number of influenza-associated illnesses during the 2012–2013 influenza season when an estimated 34 million people had symptomatic influenza illness6.

Peak activity during the 2018–2019 influenza season was classified as having moderate severity across ages in the population. Compared with the 2017–2018 season , which was classified as high severity, the overall rates and burden of influenza were much lower during the 2018–2019 season (Table 2).

Among children, however, rates of influenza during the 2018–2019 season were similar to the 2017–2018 season. In addition, the 2018–2019 season had two waves of activity, including a wave predominated by influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses and another wave of similar magnitude attributable to influenza A(H3N2) viruses5. The dual waves resulted in a protracted season during 2018–2019 that was less severe when compared with peak activity in 2017–2018, but resulted in a similar burden of illness in children by the end of the season. *End Quote*

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
While we were all happily going about our business a couple of years ago (when no concerns of pandemic were taking place) the following was taking place in the US:

CDC 2018-2019 US Seasonal Influenza Report

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated:

1. 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza

2. 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness

3. 490,600 hospitalizations,

4. 34,200 deaths from influenza (Table 1).

The number of influenza-associated illnesses that occurred last season was similar to the estimated number of influenza-associated illnesses during the 2012–2013 influenza season when an estimated 34 million people had symptomatic influenza illness6.

Peak activity during the 2018–2019 influenza season was classified as having moderate severity across ages in the population. Compared with the 2017–2018 season , which was classified as high severity, the overall rates and burden of influenza were much lower during the 2018–2019 season (Table 2).

Among children, however, rates of influenza during the 2018–2019 season were similar to the 2017–2018 season. In addition, the 2018–2019 season had two waves of activity, including a wave predominated by influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses and another wave of similar magnitude attributable to influenza A(H3N2) viruses5. The dual waves resulted in a protracted season during 2018–2019 that was less severe when compared with peak activity in 2017–2018, but resulted in a similar burden of illness in children by the end of the season. *End Quote*
Tell that to the people who are dying in hotspots in this country and around the world, maybe we should all congregate in the largest arenas in our area and have a big old I'm not afraid of coronavirus party.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Tell that to the people who are dying in hotspots in this country and around the world, maybe we should all congregate in the largest arenas in our area and have a big old I'm not afraid of coronavirus party.
Maybe we should try less fear mongering and work together. These aren't made up incidences we've survived through.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
I think what makes the 2018-2019 CDC seasonal influenza report interesting, is that there was a vaccine in place for the virus, yet thousands of people got sick and died.

I'm glad hygiene awareness has been elevated to the degree that it has. Maybe it'll help prevent needless deaths in the future.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I think what makes the 2018-2019 CDC seasonal influenza report interesting, is that there was a vaccine in place for the virus, yet thousands of people got sick and died.

I'm glad hygiene awareness has been elevated to the degree that it has. Maybe it'll help prevent needless deaths in the future.
They predicted the wrong strain , IIRC. That would make the vaccine far less effective, if affording any protection at all.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I've got one person who just keeps calling me and leaving messages about when I'm coming to do two days of painting. I told them already early on in this that it was likely being postponed if things got worse and I'd be in touch when things got better.

Things haven't got better, they've got worse. I can't bring myself to answer the phone because I think I'll lose it on her. My wife was in shock when I was listening to the latest message on my phone.
I gave the guy I cancelled on today multiple chances to bow out. He kept saying "No it's fine come on over". He's pushing 80 and his wife has early dementia. I finally just made the call to shut him down and everyone else for awhile. I wont let anyone in my house, period. The fact that people still will let others in their house tells me a lot about their judgement, which is what makes me nervous and angry.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
They predicted the wrong strain , IIRC. That would make the vaccine far less effective, if affording any protection at all.
The point is, people die every year from influenza in the thousands even when there are vaccines available for the most common strains that killed them. Vaccines are scary for many people. Unfortunately, many older folks won't get them for a number of reasons even though they are typically at the highest risk. I didn't start getting vaccinated for seasonal flu until only about three years ago.

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts

I’d like to think so too. But I suspect most people will prove to have short memories. I do know, once things return to “normal” we will take steps to build a bit of emergency stock pile good for approximately two months. Not trying to go full tilt survivalist - just want to be better prepared for any possible next time.

Meanwhile, we will stay home except to go out after essentials, only buy what we need when we need it, touch bases with our neighbors and friends, and take extra steps to ensure proper sanitation.

When this is over I just want to be able and look back and be satisfied (proud?) with how we conducted ourselves.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I've developed a procedure that involves vinyl gloves and a can of Lysol when retrieving the mail...I never dreamed I'd be saying that. I'm probably over reacting.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
They interviewed a primary care physician in New Jersey who said that even if he had unlimited tests available, which he did not, he could not get enough of the 3 cent test swabs to administer the tests. These failures are showing the complete incompetency of our health care system!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
I'm trying my best to shelter in place, at this time I don't want to go out unless it's absolutely necessary. At 9 am yesterday I tried placing a grocery order on Instacart, they said no delivery times were available so I tried again at 12:30 am this morning only to find no delivery times are available for today.

I'm out of milk and bread, oh well I guess I'll have to eat my oatmeal with water and drink my coffee black.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
We have friends who live in one of those large retirement enclaves in Florida (not The Villages, but similar). We were talking the other day and sharing how supermarkets in both our areas now have special times for seniors to come in and shop. He told me he has never seen their market so busy and it was only 7:05am.
I suggested that back where they are maybe the markets should have special times only for those under sixty - that might actually make a difference. :devil3:
Lol. Got a email from Walmart. They're doing a special time every Wednesday for seniors to shop. Get this......6am to 7am. That's mighty considerate of them.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I'm trying my best to shelter in place, at this time I don't want to go out unless it's absolutely necessary. At 9 am yesterday I tried placing a grocery order on Instacart, they said no delivery times were available so I tried again at 12:30 am this morning only to find no delivery times are available for today.

I'm out of milk and bread, oh well I guess I'll have to eat my oatmeal with water and drink my coffee black.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
They interviewed a primary care physician in New Jersey who said that even if he had unlimited tests available, which he did not, he could not get enough of the 3 cent test swabs to administer the tests. These failures are showing the complete incompetency of our health care system!

Shortages of swabs during un unprecedented event, like a pandemic, is not evidence of a systemic failure. It's evidence of a logistical failure. Big difference.

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts
Lol. Got a email from Walmart. They're doing a special time every Wednesday for seniors to shop. Get this......6am to 7am. That's mighty considerate of them.
Yeah, Our supermarket’s is 6:30-8:00. A little better.

Reactions: cocomonkeynuts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Shortages of swabs during un unprecedented event, like a pandemic, is not evidence of a systemic failure. It's evidence of a logistical failure. Big difference.

Some of both really, thus the call for the immediate use of the defense production act. Basically allow federal government to take over logistics across state border lines.

321 - 340 of 499 Posts