Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Craftsmanship is not what makes a business successful

96K views 241 replies 159 participants last post by  CornerstonePainting 
I also agree. The thing is, if I do an 'excellent' job, or a 'pretty darn good' job, less than 2% of my customers would notice or care about the difference.

EDIT: I posted the above after reading the thread title, but before I read the post. After reading the post, I see Ken touched upon this. Can you say STICKY! :yes:
The way I view it is this: My customer's want and are willing to pay for an 8. The labor requirements to go to a 9 or 10 are exponential and thus the price must also go up exponentially. As you say, most customers won't notice the difference in the quality of the work. They will notice the huge price difference.

The closer you get to perfect, the more you must charge. That gives you a very small market, and chances are you won't have the time and inclination to sell jobs at the right price. So you wind up in the place that Ken describes.

Certainly there are exceptions. But they are exceptions, and not the rule.

There was a time that I expected pretty close to perfection from my guys. Little wonder I didn't make any money. When I "let go of perfect" I started making money and my customers were just as happy. And I was a lot happier.

Brian Phillips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.