Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 242 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
You guys give me too much credit. I am not trying to play the false modesty tip. I really appreciate the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.

The way I view it is this: My customer's want and are willing to pay for an 8. The labor requirements to go to a 9 or 10 are exponential and thus the price must also go up exponentially. As you say, most customers won't notice the difference in the quality of the work. They will notice the huge price difference.
Brian Phillips
I think this is an important part of this ongoing discussion about quality and success. I suspect that there is alot of the following:

Painters doing 9-10 work at 6 prices.
Painters doing 5-6 work at 9-10 prices.

When their should be more:​

Painters doing 8-9 work at 8-9 prices.

And the reality probably is that:​

There is no such thing as perfection. You can just keep chasing it and trying to get as close to as it as you can, while as Brian said, costs are going through the roof, or you are losing your shirt.​

In response to another aspect of the great quality debate of '08:

Would a car dealer sell me a BMW for the price of a Hyundai because he believes the BMW is the better quality car and, although the BMW is not in my price range, he is willing to absorb the loss to prove it? I hope so, because I will send everyone I know down there to get a BMW before they run out of BMW.​

Guys who make the argument that they deliver quality no matter what are really interesting. In my BMW example, even if the dealer did that to prove it to me, chances are when I am ready for my next car, BMWs will still be out of my price range, and chances are out of most of my friends' price range too. So he wont be gaining a repeat customer or referrals. He just gave away what he believed was the appopriate quality car for me, and while I appreciate it, there is nothing I can do other than give him the money I would have paid for the Hyundai I was interested in.​

well put, and very true.
My customers love that I am the buffer between them and the labor. it helps them to critique the work without hurting someones feelings.

I agree HomeGuard, here is a little tip for how we explain that "buffer" concept if anyone is interested:

We use the analogy of a restaurant.

"Our production manager is going to be here, much like a manager in a restaurant to make sure you have a great experience and handle any concerns or questions you might have.

For example, if the chef came right out and asked you how you liked the steak, most people are not going to tell them that it is undercooked, they're going to say Great! Thanks! and silently be unsatisfied.

But if the Manager of the restaurant, comes over and sincerely asks, its alot easier to say, Sir, this steak is great, but could you throw it on the grill a little longer?

Please feel free to communicate with the production manager!"

They completely understand and appreciate that we care and we handle concerns before they become a real issue.

Makes for alot of satisfied clients and steady referrals.

Ethan

I wonder how many of the guys who really need to read this are working right now trying to eat this week. Irony...

I liked your post Ken. I am not a man of great ego. I have actually taken to heart many of the things I've learned in this forum and put them into practice. I am happier than I've ever been right now and I mean this with the deepest sincerity-I owe some of the posts on here to my happiness right now including threads you have been a part of. Seriously, I am very thankful for how you've continuously tried to help people in here in a way that is very clear.

I've spent the last hour reviewing these threads and gonna read every single post here again.

U guys are great for sharing you timelearned secrets. Thank you

TIMHAG is right when he posts threads to read for people.

:thumbup:

I had a "company" once that I formed to simply make ends meet back on the east coast before moving here (back on the west). The company name had "Excellence" in it, and believe me, you described me to a "t". That was painful to read! But, too true.

I only wish you had written it sooner, Ken. I'm now in the same boat, getting ready to start over with another paint/remodel gig, only this time trying to go at it right.

I was once told that I could and did "Paint with excellence," but my customer told me she'd settle for "Painting with adequacy."

Ouch! Keep posting. I'm waiting for the book to come out.

great thread. i feel like im part of the industry that lowers the bar and while we take pride in our work, we cater to cheap landlords. i guess there will always be cheapo's who want a quick whitewash, but if the job is there, and i can do what they want, and i need the work, should i feel bad or dirty? i mean, its not like one day the cheapos will wake up and say to themselves, you know, my tenants deserve this and this and im gonna spend extra money keepin up these rundown rentals. it makes me almost cry to go into these small, 1900's, mill houses, with high ceilings and beautiful trim etc... that has 30 plus years of slop-antique white, plaster walls collapsing on themselves, and boss says, alright boys start caulking and cutting in. theres gotta be another way to save these old houses. sorry if off topic

Why is Starbucks closing 600 stores and every Dunkins I see is getting remodeled?

DD needed a new look, the reason most people didn't go to DD is because they looked run down and dirty. Starbucks is bloated, its not possible to sustain sales of a high end product at the rates they have. Also many people are putting all their money in the gas tank and can only afford the home made coffee now.

I think this is an important part of this ongoing discussion about quality and success. I suspect that there is alot of the following:

Painters doing 9-10 work at 6 prices.
Painters doing 5-6 work at 9-10 prices.

When their should be more:​

Painters doing 8-9 work at 8-9 prices.

And the reality probably is that:​

There is no such thing as perfection. You can just keep chasing it and trying to get as close to as it as you can, while as Brian said, costs are going through the roof, or you are losing your shirt.​

In response to another aspect of the great quality debate of '08:​

Would a car dealer sell me a BMW for the price of a Hyundai because he believes the BMW is the better quality car and, although the BMW is not in my price range, he is willing to absorb the loss to prove it? I hope so, because I will send everyone I know down there to get a BMW before they run out of BMW.​

Guys who make the argument that they deliver quality no matter what are really interesting. In my BMW example, even if the dealer did that to prove it to me, chances are when I am ready for my next car, BMWs will still be out of my price range, and chances are out of most of my friends' price range too. So he wont be gaining a repeat customer or referrals. He just gave away what he believed was the appopriate quality car for me, and while I appreciate it, there is nothing I can do other than give him the money I would have paid for the Hyundai I was interested in.​
What painter drives a bmw? your comment makes no sense. as far as paying for quality...thats what i base my business on. clean your brushes!

21 - 40 of 242 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.