Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things have been slow for a while. Several freinds of mine say that I should advertise in Craigslist. I am a little concerned about the types of jobs (people) that I will get. Seems to me craigslist is full of cheapskates looking for a deal, which is fine for merchandise, I use it myself, but for my 27 years worth of painting experience I'm not so sure....anyone have opinions?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Things have been slow for a while. Several freinds of mine say that I should advertise in Craigslist. I am a little concerned about the types of jobs (people) that I will get. Seems to me craigslist is full of cheapskates looking for a deal, which is fine for merchandise, I use it myself, but for my 27 years worth of painting experience I'm not so sure....anyone have opinions?

Go with your gut, unles you wanna make $12/hour.

·
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe
4,508 Posts
Unless you wanna end up painting rooms for less than $89 per room :whistling2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have posted on Craigslist to test it out, and have had landed 2 good small jobs from it. I have also had a few knuckheads call me and want me to work for peanuts, and one guy who called me and wanted me to tell him over the phone what I would charge and how I would do a job. He was looking for a courtesy bid for himself and in a kind way I told him where to put it. I tried to make my posting look professional with links to my website.... because there are posts out there for painters that suggest they will work for 10 bucks an hour. If you can filter out the BS calls it has worked for me for smaller filler jobs.

·
RIP 2017
1,306 Posts
This is just me, but if work was really slow, I would consider advertising on CL (I think) knowing full well what I would be up against as far as competition.

I would also be working on my marketing full-time.

Of course, if things got bad enough, I'd work doubles at a gas station to put food on the table. I wouldn't like it, but I'd do it.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Craigs List is excellent for dominating Google and landing quality jobs.. you just have to know how to use it.

Reactions: bikerboy

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
I thought this was funny!

LOOKING FOR PAINTERS LICENSE (ST GEORGE)

Date: 2010-10-05, 6:59PM MDT
Reply to: ******@gmail.com [Errors when replying to ads?]

***LOOKING FOR A PAINTERS LICENSE, I'd like to rent it for 6 months or a year... maybe even two years.

For details please Contact me at 801-8****** Edwin.

NOTE: it would be a WRITTEN legal agreement where I use your license for a period of time and I would have total liability.

Compensation: Call for details.
This is a contract job.
OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities
OK for recruiters to contact this job poster.
Phone calls about this job are ok.
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
PostingID: 1991118387

·
Estimator/Instructor
1,004 Posts
I believe we have hit a new low

The $99 could probably be just labor. Even if this guy took a full day to do a room (which is probably just walls) he could do 5 a week and gross $500. He's probably looking at this as a great thing because working at CVS or Walmart will give him half that amount.

I know it's a bitch for a bonafide painter but he's not necessarily a dope either. If he's doubling the money that he MAY make in a different job, he's not so stupid.

He also may know that he's not 100% legit but he figures it's better than seeing his little kids starve.

Just another perspective that may or may not be the case...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The $99 could probably be just labor. Even if this guy took a full day to do a room (which is probably just walls) he could do 5 a week and gross $500. He's probably looking at this as a great thing because working at CVS or Walmart will give him half that amount.

I know it's a bitch for a bonafide painter but he's not necessarily a dope either. If he's doubling the money that he MAY make in a different job, he's not so stupid.

He also may know that he's not 100% legit but he figures it's better than seeing his little kids starve.

Just another perspective that may or may not be the case...
Oh I think this is working put quite well for him. He's been advertising the 99 rooms for Tue past couple of years

·
misha
43 Posts
Need my condo painted. I wll provide paint and supplies.
Condo is about 1100 square feet with 9 foot ceilings.
Can pay $300. This is what Craigslist about

·
House Painting Reading PA
419 Posts
This is one of the several I use for my Power Washing Contractor Craigslist Ad. I am currently revamping them all, but you get the idea. It is loaded with codes and all. It is also clickable when they hover over it.

Attachments

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
I thought this was funny!

LOOKING FOR PAINTERS LICENSE (ST GEORGE)

Date: 2010-10-05, 6:59PM MDT
Reply to: ******@gmail.com [Errors when replying to ads?]

***LOOKING FOR A PAINTERS LICENSE, I'd like to rent it for 6 months or a year... maybe even two years.

NOTE: it would be a WRITTEN legal agreement where I use your license for a period of time and I would have total liability.
The 1st thing you get taught in cali CSLB renting or loaning your lic out is grounds for lic termination. I wonder what "total liability" means

1 - 19 of 19 Posts