Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get a recommendation on fastest way to finish this.
Final colors all dark.
Crap walls with nicotine and some soot from a small fire.
Fix worst areas by cutting out sheetrock and tape float. Fill in smaller holes with lightweight mud.
Paint with oil based primer tinted appropriately to final color.
Apply slightly watered down mud with roller to give a slight texture.
What nap....3/8? any particular brand or material?
Behr paint plus primer quick coat as 1st.
Final coat with behr paint w/out primer.

Can I cut a step by adding mud to oil based primer and then go straight to 2 coats.?
Any other ideas?

I don't do spray drywall. Savings in time not commensurate with time and rental fees saved on this job.

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
Final colors all dark.
Fix worst areas by cutting out sheetrock and tape float. Fill in smaller holes with lightweight mud.

Can I cut a step by adding mud to oil based primer and then go straight to 2 coats.?
Any other ideas?

I don't do spray drywall. Savings in time not commensurate with time and rental fees saved on this job.

as I posted on the other forum, I cannot help with the texture but I prime with Bin and ditch the Behr crap

Attachments

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Final colors all dark.

Any other ideas?

IMO, for the QUICKEST way, wash nicotine and soot, prime those areas with B.I.N., do your patching, prime with QUALITY primer/sealer, finish with QUALITY finish.

Behr, because of it's inabilty to cover itself, will NOT save time or money.

and NO you CANNOT mix mud with oil primer

·
A Brush Above
4,669 Posts
if you dont have a clue how to roll texture, why would i start with advice? hire a pro boss.

·
A Brush Above
4,669 Posts
I will be kind.

Go for it! Sounds like a perfect plan. What could go wrong?

did you say add drywall mud to oil based primer? excellent idea!

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
what happened to the idea that perhaps we should be helpful to the noobs?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
what happened to the idea that perhaps we should be helpful to the noobs?
I'm all in favor of being helpful, but one needs to have "some" basic knowledge. When you mention adding mud to oil base paint ....I don't know what to say..:no:

I enjoy "brainstorming" with fellow professionals, but there has to be some "minimum requirements" or else we are all just here to teach the whole world how to paint stuff for free...

·
Super Moderator
9,502 Posts
Scope of work does not sound DIY.

To the original poster, some of your tactics for this job sound like you may have little experience in the trade. Tell us more about your business experience so we can help you better or refer to to a site designed for DIY questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks gents. Appreciate all the advice. Many ways to skin a cat. As I said I don't use oil based paints. I figured I'd have to add to first coat of latex paint to create a slight stipple.
Why do so many hate Behr? What in your opinion is a good alternative at the price point?
And, just telling me BIN primer doesn't really help does it?
Wiping down does not seem conducive to production. IMO. Could be wrong.
Dean which tactics apart from creating stipple/orange peel texture by adding mud to oil based primer is suspect?

·
Registered
413 Posts
The BIN .. Alcohol Shellac will lock odor on the substrate it is applied ; the residual smell from smoke will come from the inner wall.

For fire damage the GWB often needs to be removed and the STUDS need to be sealed. We have performed this work three times in the last decade. Extreme but the only guarantee; also the owner needs to compel the insurance co.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts