Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year we started accepting credit cards with Square mobile app for iphone. For many years we did not accept credit cards no so much for the fees but considering the request were so infrequent. But the market place has changed and most customers expect the option to pay by credit card.

We are pretty happy with Square although the swiping is touch and go. Inputting the number vs swiping is a higher fee. A manual cc input has a waiting period( example 7k; 2k available in 2 and 30 days for the balance) although Square has reduced our wait time recently.

We considered charging for credit card use (2.75% square) but ultimately decided against it.

Quickbooks also has a credit card feauture; and increasingly banks are hoping onto the bandwagon. Bank of America has their own service and app with card reader device.

What is your experience with accepting credit card payments.

· Super Moderator
7,252 Posts
We switched to Square a couple months ago. Prior to that we had a 3rd party company then used PayPal.

I've only used it a couple times and got the money within 2 business days.

Most recently I took a 5k payment entered in manually. I didn't encounter a longer wait time for money than the swipe, however I was caught off guard with the higher rate.

· Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What was your rate with Paypal?

We switched to Square a couple months ago. Prior to that we had a 3rd party company then used PayPal.

I've only used it a couple times and got the money within 2 business days.

Most recently I took a 5k payment entered in manually. I didn't encounter a longer wait time for money than the swipe, however I was caught off guard with the higher rate.

· Super Moderator
7,252 Posts
I just signed up with square. I haven't used it yet as I am waiting for the reader in the mail.
So you have to wait 30 days, in some cases, to get your money?
I've gotten the money within 2 business days every time I've used it so far.

· Registered
10,573 Posts
I just signed up with square. I haven't used it yet as I am waiting for the reader in the mail.
So you have to wait 30 days, in some cases, to get your money?
Been using square for two years now and am very happy with it. I get ALL of my money on a swiped card the very next business day. When I was a new account, if I didn't have the card and just entered the numbers they held anything over $1,000.00 for 30 days. It's a fraud security measure, and can be lifted upon request after you have been with them for awhile. I think I'm at $5,000 now for a manually entered CC number before they do the 30 day hold.

· Registered
3,840 Posts
Been using square for two years now and am very happy with it. I get ALL of my money on a swiped card the very next business day. When I was a new account, if I didn't have the card and just entered the numbers they held anything over $1,000.00 for 30 days. It's a fraud security measure, and can be lifted upon request after you have been with them for awhile. I think I'm at $5,000 now for a manually entered CC number before they do the 30 day hold.
Yea I just asked them about lifting the restrictions and they approved $5000.00 for non swiped cards per week. Swiped cards I don't think there is a limit.

I hardly ever use it, I try to avoid it due to the fees. Plus nobody ever asks

Pat

· Super Moderator
7,252 Posts
Schmidt & Co. said:
That's weird I've had it no longer than six months and had no problem getting a 5k manual payment.

Good thing too I wouldn't have been a happy camper of they held it for 30 days :no:

· Registered
551 Posts
I'm wondering what issues anyone is having with swiping. We've used Square for over a year and haven't had a single issue. . . The difference between two days and thirty days is an absolute deal breaker so I'd be on the phone with Square trying to figure out the problem.

What kind of phone do you have and what trouble are you having with swiping?

· Registered
12,314 Posts
I use Paypal, the rates are 2.2 to 2.9 depending on volume. I have the Paypal Credit Card and funds are available immediately whether I swipe, enter manually or invoice. It does take a few days to transfer to bank account if I request it.
I see a lot more people using it, I was surprised when I had my hair done recently when she whipped out her phone to take payment.

· Registered
615 Posts
Does square allow you to send online invoices?

We started accepting credit cards this year and about half are paying with cards. I love PayPal....send them an invoice and get a text saying you have been paid. got their business master card which makes it super easy for me to keep track of expenses. Not bad for 2.9

They also have a financing option....Haven't looked into yet but I think we'll be offering financing next year. Paypal pays you...your customer pays paypal later.

· Super Moderator
7,252 Posts
SeaMonster said:
Does square allow you to send online invoices?

We started accepting credit cards this year and about half are paying with cards. I love PayPal....send them an invoice and get a text saying you have been paid. got their business master card which makes it super easy for me to keep track of expenses. Not bad for 2.9

They also have a financing option....Haven't looked into yet but I think we'll be offering financing next year. Paypal pays you...your customer pays paypal later.
I don't square offers invoicing. I they do I couldn't figure out how to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.