Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I use what they call a "knuckle buster". You insert the card and move a bar over the top and it imprints a receipt with the card number and your business info. They cost $40. Then you just call it in. The machine is just so you can give you customer a receipt.

The portable card swipe is like $700.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do you have a portable card machine or do they go on line to pay you?:)
I do not see the value. You have to buy the machine or lease it and then pay a cell phone bill for it. The machine will give you a lower rate but in our case the rate is not attractive enough.

I use quickbooks service because it works well with quickbooks. I had to set up a separate account with AMEX and Discover. I enter the information and 3 days later the money is in my checking account.

·
Paint to ride!
230 Posts
I do not see the value. You have to buy the machine or lease it and then pay a cell phone bill for it. The machine will give you a lower rate but in our case the rate is not attractive enough.

I use quickbooks service because it works well with quickbooks. I had to set up a separate account with AMEX and Discover. I enter the information and 3 days later the money is in my checking account.

How do I go about getting a knuckle buster?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
91 Posts
How do I go about getting a knuckle buster?:rolleyes:
No idea, I've never used one. All we need to do is get the name on the card, the CCRV code and when it expires. They do not require my client to sign anything and all of my transactions are done on line.

When you sign up with Amex + Discover you can do all of your holiday shopping for free! They give away clipboards, pens, signs, dry erase boards, business card holders and other great stocking stuffers. I am not sure if they give away the knuckle busters but if they do someone will get it in their stocking this year.

·
Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
I use Quick Books. As FHI says you don't need the customer to sign anything. It is a very seamless process-- one entry into QB and it's done.

PayPal also has a program called Virtual Terminal that works in a similar fashion. You go on line, enter the information, and the money is instantly in your PayPal account. This program is only $20 a month, plus processing fees.

Brian Phillips

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use Quick Books. As FHI says you don't need the customer to sign anything. It is a very seamless process-- one entry into QB and it's done.

PayPal also has a program called Virtual Terminal that works in a similar fashion. You go on line, enter the information, and the money is instantly in your PayPal account. This program is only $20 a month, plus processing fees.

Brian Phillips
Brian, are you doing the PayPal thing to be proactive or are your clients requesting it? I might have to look into it.

·
17,849 Posts
I use what they call a "knuckle buster". You insert the card and move a bar over the top and it imprints a receipt with the card number and your business info. They cost $40. Then you just call it in. The machine is just so you can give you customer a receipt.

The portable card swipe is like $700.
I have'nt seen one of those sliders in years.

Yes PayPal is a good thing to offer, i was thinking a few weeks ago it should be offered.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think it's a total no brainer to offer credit cards and you will find people will use you over another guy in order for them to get points for a flight or whatever. Customers are also willing to spend a little more when they have more time to pay.

I used Quickbooks as well to process everything and I never had a problem. It would be nice to swipe a card on site but I was never there for final payment anyways so I'm not sure how well that would work.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I've been using Paypal as a payment processor on my websites for a long time but have never used them for my painting business. The reason is that they are very quick to pull money from you if there is ever a dispute even if you can show a contract in writing with an agreement to pay.

Also, they charge peoples accounts in a strange way and sometimes attach your name to charges you didn't make.
For example, one time I charged someone $125 but it showed up on their credit card that I charged them over $3,000. The client complained that I had over charged his account even though I had only received the amount agreed to which was $125.
After talking to PayPal on the phone I found out that the clients account was in the negative of $3,000 because they had had a back charge and so the next time their account got charged they grouped it together and charged their account all at once. So, in the end I got paid $125 which is what was agreed to but got a complaint put against me for an over charge because PayPal used my name to bring their account back in line.

Anyways, I know that's a confusing story but I don't like the way PayPal does certain things. Even though it was their fault they still sided with the client.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Naaa, I don't actually accept paypal, just use thier credit card service... it's a seperate deal. If I need to accept paypal however, I can.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Paypal is $20 per month and charges 3% for visa and master card. I admit that the service is user friendly.

I went the cheap route.

Through my bank and a company called PayMentech I am paying $7.50 a month and 2% for visa and mastercard. The $7.50 a month gets you round the clock customer service and they send you more carbon copy slips when you are about to run out for free. The knuckle buster thingy is $40, I didn't pay that, I already had one...

Once you swipe the card and give the customer their receipt all you have to do is call it in, it takes about 60 seconds and you get your money in 48 hours.

I never thought about not being on the job site when final payment is due like Nathan pointed out. I'm sure that's going to be a PITA some day. But for now I rarely ever get asked about CC, maybe I will get more requests now that it's going to say it in all my literature.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts