Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one was fun, yet a bit stressful. I wasn't 100% sure how to quote this or exactly how it was going to turn out. Made a little less then I wanted but was happy with the end results. Pushing my carpentry skills. New trim with headers and custom shaker style wainscoting. All caulked and painted with ScuffX. Including risers. All Brush and rolled.

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
This one was fun, yet a bit stressful. I wasn't 100% sure how to quote this or exactly how it was going to turn out. Made a little less then I wanted but was happy with the end results. Pushing my carpentry skills. New trim with headers and custom shaker style wainscoting. All caulked and painted with ScuffX. Including risers. All Brush and rolled.
Wow that looks great! Really like that wainscoting. I don't do much carpentry, just minor exterior rot replacement, but it really is fun to dabble in, stretch the brain out a little bit.

·
Super Moderator
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow that looks great! Really like that wainscoting. I don't do much carpentry, just minor exterior rot replacement, but it really is fun to dabble in, stretch the brain out a little bit.
Stretch the brain is right! haha. That's pretty much how I started was in Rot repair. It's not worth waiting around for "a carpenter". Unless it's some super tangly stuff. Not to mention, I just really like learning new stuff. It keeps life interesting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow everything looks great, professionally done and modern/up to date.
Last month, installed a couple of 3/4" quarter rounds on some stair stringers and it took all morning. Measure twice but cut ..several times --kept making mistakes with that 45 degree angle cut. And the molding became irreversibly shorter.
An observation: in the 2nd to last photo, the first flat panel appears to be longer than others (likely because of perspective). But perhaps 2 vertical rails (and 3 flat panels) would look more balanced than 1 rail & 2 panels. Just a thought..

·
Super Moderator
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow everything looks great, professionally done and modern/up to date.
Last month, installed a couple of 3/4" quarter rounds on some stair stringers and it took all morning. Measure twice but cut ..several times --kept making mistakes with that 45 degree angle cut. And the molding became irreversibly shorter.
An observation: in the 2nd to last photo, the first flat panel appears to be longer than others (likely because of perspective). But perhaps 2 vertical rails (and 3 flat panels) would look more balanced than 1 rail & 2 panels. Just a thought..
Thanks Painterina. Yep, very time consuming indeed. Lots of trips to the saw. lol. Thinking and planning was very time consuming also. I had heavily considered adding 1 more vertical board on the stairs, but the distance between them was exactly the same, believe it or not. We figured adding 1 more would have made it too busy, and in return would have had to add more vertical boards everywhere! 😅 The whole planning stage for this is mind mending. I came in on a Saturday and just sat in the stairwell for 2 hours with a sketch pad, and then still kept 2nd guessing myself and making changes.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Thanks Painterina. Yep, very time consuming indeed. Lots of trips to the saw. lol. Thinking and planning was very time consuming also. I had heavily considered adding 1 more vertical board on the stairs, but the distance between them was exactly the same, believe it or not. We figured adding 1 more would have made it too busy, and in return would have had to add more vertical boards everywhere! The whole planning stage for this is mind mending. I came in on a Saturday and just sat in the stairwell for 2 hours with a sketch pad, and then still kept 2nd guessing myself and making changes.
Yep. There’s always a lot of head scratching time when it’s something you don’t do every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Property Manager
113 Posts
Thanks Painterina. Yep, very time consuming indeed. Lots of trips to the saw. lol. Thinking and planning was very time consuming also. I had heavily considered adding 1 more vertical board on the stairs, but the distance between them was exactly the same, believe it or not. We figured adding 1 more would have made it too busy, and in return would have had to add more vertical boards everywhere! 😅 The whole planning stage for this is mind mending. I came in on a Saturday and just sat in the stairwell for 2 hours with a sketch pad, and then still kept 2nd guessing myself and making changes.
I love those kinds of jobs. The challenge, the planning, overcoming problems, the stress.... Not so much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts