Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Customer won't pay up

13K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Wolverine 
#1 ·
Have a customer who I did some work for, not a huge job. Wrote up 2 different proposals for the 2 separate projects done at different times. The total for everything came to $330.00. Now, I know that's not a ton of money, but it's mine and honestly I'm insulted that it has gone this long. The reason is quite simple-I painted, she told me she was broke. She told me Friday. I called Friday. She told me Wednesday. I called Wednesday. She told me Friday. I called Friday...

....answering machine....this is when I almost lost it, but tried to keep it somewhat cool. I left a message saying that I needed my money now, that I had waited long enough, and that if she did not pay me soon I would have to take her to court. That was this past Friday.

I did the work May 12th.

A. Was I wrong for telling her I'd take her to court? Wifey says that was to harsh and now she definitely won't pay.
B. Had wifey get the form for small claims, I'm in the middle of filling it out. What do I do from this point? You think I should give her more time or send the form right away?

I'm sure some of you guys have been through this. Again, I know it's not a huge amount, but I'm in the middle of some big things and need all the funds I can get and then some. Plus, this is a first and I'm super insulted.

Thanks for listening

See less See more
#4 ·
I have an intent to lien letter
I'll shoot it to you if you want, you can fill in the appropriate info

It doesn't really matter if your state requires them, the hope is that the "Intent..." letter shakes loose a few bucks

If you do end up filing a lien, and your state does require it, you're covered
There's time limits and waiting periods involved, so do not hesitate to send out this letter just in case you want to proceed

#7 ·
Update

Well, she called me today, finally. She apologized and swore that she'd pay me asap, that she has really been struggling lately. I told her even $100 payments are fine, but I need her to show some initiative. She agreed and said she will try to pay me in full by the end of this week.

So the court papers wait on the desk.

Yes, I said court. Why? My wife informed me that I can't do the lien notice since she is not the owner of the house where I did the work.

This week will tell-at least she called...that was bugging me the most

Thanks for the tips and thanks John for the form this morning, at least I have it now if I need it

#9 ·
Well, she called me today, finally. She apologized and swore that she'd pay me asap, that she has really been struggling lately. I told her even $100 payments are fine, but I need her to show some initiative. She agreed and said she will try to pay me in full by the end of this week.

So the court papers wait on the desk.

Yes, I said court. Why? My wife informed me that I can't do the lien notice since she is not the owner of the house where I did the work.

This week will tell-at least she called...that was bugging me the most

Thanks for the tips and thanks John for the form this morning, at least I have it now if I need it
I learned over the years to be patient with clients like that, I give them a month to pay me even if they said they would pay in a few says, they are always much longer than that to get you paid, it is just human nature, or broke and needs the time. Remember flys and honey storie it works.;)

#11 ·
good point...I can see why too

I guess I had to experience this to learn a few things

it sucks because it was supposed to be one of those easy in easy out jobs, no hassle...I mean I painted a total of 7 hours

#10 ·
Threatening someone with court changes the relationship. Granted it usually isn't very good by the time it gets to that, but such a threat will really get someone's dander up.

I've had a few dead beat customers over the years. Usually we start with phone calls, and if that doesn't work (taking credit cards helps collect money), I'll send a letter with a finance charge attached. Funny, but they don't mind ignoring me while holding hundreds of my dollars, but when I hit them with a $10 late fee they suddenly find my phone number.

Brian Phillips

#13 ·
I've got to tell you guys... I'm sick and tired of my fellow humans not keeping their word (with or without a contract).

Why in the WORLD do you believe this human who has demonstrated countless times that she is a LIAR!!! LIAR!!! LIAR!!! :no:

Don't delay... File the papers! :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.