Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am decorating for a couple that have just built a new home. They have asked me to repaint the bathroom as they are unhappy with the colour and the home builder will not do it. They have immaculate 4" cherry trim baseboards and trim around the door. Short from removing it or using tape (as it bleeds) what could i do to ensure no paint blemishes the trim?? What a headache!!:censored:

·
Registered
68 Posts
If the trim is sealed properly, then you can use a flex putty knife to clean off any paint that you get on the trim. Works real well. Much easier than it seems. Good Luck.

·
Registered
Painter
2,036 Posts
Frog tape is suppose to be useful...

Otherwise. throw on some tape (blue / 2090) and seal the painted edge with clear paintable caulk. Be sure after applying the caulk that you wipe it off really well. You just need enough to seal the edge of the tape so the paint does not bleed through. Paint till your hearts' content, when done, pull tape and watch the magic...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Uuummmmm How new to painting are you? You should be able to just cut it in with a brush, and as mentioned above use a putty knife to get off any that gets on the trim. That's a pretty basic painting skill.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Usually I have no problems cutting it straight. If it's iffy or I get a little on the trim, I just pull my rag tight over a putty knife and run it down the edge leaving a nice clean line. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
The only decent painting skill I have is cutting. Here's how I do it: identify the line you want to cut. In your case, a tight paint line into cherry. Stare at that line. Let your eyes cross very slightly until you see three lines. Draw the line in the middle. Pull it fast. It is much easier to draw a straight line quickly in long strokes than it is in short choppy strokes. Cutting is an art and one of the timeless crafts of the true painter.

·
Registered
Painter
2,036 Posts
....Pull it fast. It is much easier to draw a straight line quickly in long strokes than it is in short choppy strokes. Cutting is an art and one of the timeless crafts of the true painter.

Funny!

JP would say the same thing.... :yes:

I have to agree.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
<SNIP> Let your eyes cross very slightly until you see three lines. Draw the line in the middle.
Three martinis help get you there. Which is also an old pro painter technique.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
The proper martini should have 2 olives and be in a bigger glass. This is painting we are talking about.
Sorry, I'm a little gauche when it comes to a proper martini. I'm a bourbon drinker.

My father and F-I-L were the martini drinkers (they are at Heaven's 19th hole as I write). The glasses were definitely bigger, but neither like them embellished with "garbage", and hell, they only liked vermouth whispered over the glass.

And neither were in the trades.

I'll acquiesce to your obvious experience :notworthy: :thumbup:

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
, they only liked vermouth whispered over the glass.

When I was drinking them, if the vermouth was in the same room, you were OK;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts