Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on job I described in earlier post this week. Textured ceiling against a rough wall ( almost knockdown type), last paint job is onto ceiling in many places. Thought I would try taping a line about a 1/16th onto ceiling, then brush tape w/ ceiling paint as some guys recommend for straight ceilig line. damn that took too long... I don't have a tape dispenser, should i get one (what kind?). i just moved around on ladder doing about 5 ft lengths of tape at a time....any advice? This is the job i am doing for $400.00, lol! On the job training for me right now. Older folks are nice though, thrilled with my work so far, should finish in 2 days.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Agreed. 3M maskers are the only ones i'll use. However, you shouldn't tape a ceiling line unless you're going to spray.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments, yes i write down how long it takes me to do every piece of the job. I am a nerd about details, and I am getting better every day. In hindsite i could have handcut it much faster, but i am gonna get a dispenser!

·
Logistics
3,090 Posts
salestrainer, if your colors are close (white on white) then id do it freehand with an all nylon brush. I would also thin any thick wall paint for the first cut. Just mix enough wall paint with some water to make it super easy to flow over the texture with the nylon brush. If you think anything but nylon will work just fine, then try it but remember what you read here.

Keep the ceiling white or whatever color it is off the wall on your final coat cutting in the ceiling. Painting the wall color up on (into) the ceiling in your situation is better vs bringing the ceiling white down on the wall.

texture on texture = mo' labor

There are some DIY paint pads that can get your first coat at the ceiling line done to a point that you simply fill in the blanks with a brush and clean up a bit. These pads with min-rollers can tend to you assist with keeping a straight line too.

I'd keep track of your time on this job. (cut ceiling) = hours? etc. This is one of those jobs to remember.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jack, I am in the process of watching all you videos now, some great stuff! i have used the paint pads with wheels before, they ain't bad. I am using a purdy 2 1/2 clearcut, not sure if its all nylon.....Thanks!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Jack, I am in the process of watching all you videos now, some great stuff! i have used the paint pads with wheels before, they ain't bad. I am using a purdy 2 1/2 clearcut, not sure if its all nylon.....Thanks!
Paint pad w/ wheels? Did I read that right?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THE MORE EXPERIENCED I GET, THE LESS I LIKE TAPE! Frog tape pulled off textured ceiling in spots, not dramatic, but enough to cost me valuable time! It sounds nice to talk about perfect lines with tape, but I don't think I will EVER use tape on a ceiling again! I'm pretty darn good cutting with a brush, and when you factor in taping time, then fixing what i had to do today, man, it p......s you off!

·
Formerly ModernStyle
346 Posts
I would either just paint the ceiling then do my walls, or make sure that my line was perfect and whatever the last guy did wasnt my fault.
When I first started painting I always wondered if I was supposed to follow the other guys wavy cut line so that only the new color showed, or was I supposed to cut mine perfect and say the hell with it.
Now I just show the HO that the lines suck when I do the estimate, I give them a price on painting the ceiling to fix the problem and they either take it or they dont, I am not gonna spend alot of time trying to fix someone other painters work.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I would either just paint the ceiling then do my walls, or make sure that my line was perfect and whatever the last guy did wasnt my fault.
When I first started painting I always wondered if I was supposed to follow the other guys wavy cut line so that only the new color showed, or was I supposed to cut mine perfect and say the hell with it.
Now I just show the HO that the lines suck when I do the estimate, I give them a price on painting the ceiling to fix the problem and they either take it or they dont, I am not gonna spend alot of time trying to fix someone other painters work.
If you do want to give it a quick shot- find a primer or left over ceiling paint and quickly touch up the overlap before you cut your line. A slightly wrong white will not show as much as a totally wrong color. Keep it small, use a touch up brush. Maybe 5 min if you have a white.

Another idea some have used. Run a bead of caulk around the ceiling line. Will cover overlap if it's close and will give you a smoother surface to cut to. Just don't smear out onto ceiling.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Did we have a discussion last spring about cutting lines into a textured ceiling?

Take a pointy object and gouge a little recess into the textured ceiling at the juncture with the wall. Now free hand the wall color into that little channel.

Works for wallpaper too.

sales, learn both proper taping and free hand. there is a proper time and place for each (although I don't recall when taping is proper - I never sprayed)

·
painter
30 Posts
I would free hand this job. If you use tape on textured walls chances are the paint is going to bleed under the tape and the tape may damage the ceiling finish.

Your not going to get perfect lines on a heavy texture. Your just going to have to take your time and pay attention.

·
Spider killer
728 Posts
I want to hire five new guy's and give them new paint pads w/wheels as a bonus for joining my company.
where do I sign up?? and if I'm the first do I get one of those double slashed thingy brush's where I can cut both things at once or something like that I wasn't paying attention:no:

One vote for RCON The 3m masker is stupendous!! Lets not break out the tape so quick though.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the advice! Next time I think i will free hand if surface is fairly smooth, if rough will try to dig a groove to paint into....thanks again to all for the advice. These folks love my job by the way, invited me to eat dinner with them.....lady actually walked around her neighborhood yesterday and put my flyers out to folks on her street....no i didn't ask her too! How cool is that!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts