Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I've had a few jobs lately requiring large ceilings to be finished in either black or dark flat acrylic. A gym, and a couple of restaurants.
The problem is roller marks are almost impossible to prevent. The ceilings look patchy and barely acceptable. These are new ceilings (plasterboard) and primed with acrylic undercoat.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to prevent this?

I'm from Australia so I'm hoping terminology is fairly aligned

Cheers

Edit Just realised I probably should have posted this under Pro Painters. Any mods able to amend? Don't want to break any rules and double post

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,323 Posts
I think you need a 3 part formula for these situations.

A: You need to make sure your drywall is sealed really good. ( Maybe a coat of gardz? or 2.)
B: You need to get the paint on as quick as possible. ( More people, bigger rollers)
C: Paint Extender. (Add Flotrol, turn heat down.)

Alternatively, tape it all up and spray with large tip.

Hi all,

I've had a few jobs lately requiring large ceilings to be finished in either black or dark flat acrylic. A gym, and a couple of restaurants.
The problem is roller marks are almost impossible to prevent. The ceilings look patchy and barely acceptable. These are new ceilings (plasterboard) and primed with acrylic undercoat.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to prevent this?

I'm from Australia so I'm hoping terminology is fairly aligned

Cheers

Edit Just realised I probably should have posted this under Pro Painters. Any mods able to amend? Don't want to break any rules and double post

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Try to find a flat paint that is a "vinyl acrylic" and not 100% acrylic. Usually these would be mid to lower grade "contractor" grade paints. 100% acrylic paints usually tend to have a side sheen, which will cause what you are seeing with the black that you are using. In most colors it doesn't show, but in darker colors it will.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts