Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there Guys,
I've been using SW Woodscapes for siding, but somehow got stuck to BM Arborcoats for solid stain decks. Please let me know what your experience is on Woodscapes - I think I'm not very happy with Arborcoat. I men, its not bad, but since Woodscapes is so great, maybe Deckscapes also beats BM stains? TIA

·
Registered
144 Posts
Woodscapes is a great product if you like solid stain on siding, though I prefer an oil primer/acrylic topcoat system. Deckscapes is not something I'm crazy about, but then like everyone else here I'm not crazy about any solid stain on decks. I used Deckscapes on a deck that had been done with Arborcoat and was peeling after one winter and the Deckscapes looks brand new a year later. That said, I did not apply the Arborcoat and cannot vouch that it was applied correctly. I've also had complaints with Deckscapes.

Long story short, what everyone else said about solid stains on a deck.

·
Painting Contractor
4,070 Posts
I've actually seen the Flood SWP solid latex emulsion stain hold up very well on decks. It will peel in places after a few applications, but I've seen it hold up better than it has any business doing. I think it has some alkyd resins in it. But cleans up well with soap and water.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Damon T said:
I've actually seen the Flood SWP solid latex emulsion stain hold up very well on decks. It will peel in places after a few applications, but I've seen it hold up better than it has any business doing. I think it has some alkyd resins in it. But cleans up well with soap and water.

I have seen that too. That's why it's one of my favorite solid stains.

·
Flog a Mocker
1,493 Posts
Deckscapes/Woodscapes was the only thing that I still used from SW but have also moved that to BM. I did one deck with the Arborcoat before the name change and had a failure and had to redo 12months later. Since then I have used it a number of times and it seems to be interchangeable with the Deckscapes - and I get better pricing at BM.

Personally, to me, maintenance on a solid deck is not much different than a good semi - wash and recoat. Everything is going to wear - film forming coats will peel, semi-trans will fade, dry out, and wear off. I've done some solid decks that came out very nice and lasted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts