Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend what I should apply on a deck? It's pressure treated and is peeling. I know if I scrape, prime and paint with latex, it will only last the season. This being said, what does everyone use these days?

Thanks

·
Midwest painter
312 Posts
Can anyone recommend what I should apply on a deck? It's pressure treated and is peeling. I know if I scrape, prime and paint with latex, it will only last the season. This being said, what does everyone use these days?

Thanks
Deckscapes is what I would use I have used it in the past its a good product.

·
Registered
852 Posts

Thanks
The northeast here is brutal on decks. I had a great write up on what could be expected, realities and company claims for decks in the northeast, but alas it has been lost to the internet gods when the website changed. I will try and find a hard copy and post it. Basically said any given deck if prep'd right would most likely last 2-3 years in the northeast. Between the salt air, snow, rain, sun, shoveling, everyday traffic, tree crud, cleaning, sweeping, chloromines + flourides used in public water sources, ice melt and whatever else you can think of. Our decks literally get crapped on all year from every extreme. Unrealistically people expect a stain / paint job to last 5+ years. On vertical siding this is fine, decks are horizontal and collect everything.
Storm System has made their line very consumer friendly and easy to understand. http://www.stormsystem.com/

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Storm System, Storm Stain (I think are both California products or the same thing) and I have used a ton in the past 10 years on decks and clapboards and fencing in coastal New England. The stuff is far better than anything SW makes. I think Arborcoat is cool stuff, but for most applications I use storm stain. For 100% acrylic stains, I can't think of any better.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yes, both are California products. last season they went through a product marketing program which re-labeled everything. Now called Storm System. Labeled in "Weather categories" from Category 1 to Category 5. 1 being transparent, 2 toned, 3 semi-solid, 4 solids, 5 primers. The higher category, the better protection. The enduradeck in cat4 is probably the most popular and best all around. Solid oil stains were discontinued when this change happened. Oil primers still available in the quick dry 227.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Instead of deck restore, use deck/dock revive. Waaaaay better and faster system. Check out their website, mfg by gulf systems

·
Grants Painting
224 Posts
dock revive.

Instead of deck restore, use deck/dock revive. Waaaaay better and faster system. Check out their website, mfg by gulf systems
How long do you see that lasting under harsh conditions?

Midwestchemicals.com has a pretty harsh rubberized paint formula. It takes any kind of abuse but man is it smelly. Certainly not VOC free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts