Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got into the business of faux painting several years ago when a friend asked me to help do some "glazing". What in the world was that I thought to myself.

Well I found out quickly and it was actually kind of fun an not too hard to master. What I found out that really spurred my interest in decorative finishes, was that this guy charged almost twice what the straight painter did ( who painted nearly 3 times the square footage) and we were in and out in way less time. Less work and more money. wow.

Since that time I have learned and perfected a variety of decorative finishes and I paid a whole lot of money to take specialized workshops.

But times are hard and I joined this site hoping I could find people that wanted to share techniques and ideas. Sounds like a less expensive way of learning then flying somewhere, booking a hotel and paying big bucks for a class.

So, anyway, I want to share some faux techniques and recipes with anyone that might be interested.

My web site is www.EuropeanPaintandTextures.com Browse and feel free to ask questions. I have a HOW TO page where I explain different techniques. Here is one of them that uses venetian plaster, glazes and a stencil. Enjoy Barcelonaguy

Attachments

·
A PAINTER PAINTING
248 Posts
Nice web site,I will be checking it out latter and learning some of that.Hard in my area to find a market for that but still looks fun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the nice words

It was really cool hearing from you folks. I'll posr more How To stuff and photos. Faux finishing isn't really that hard we just make it look that way.

Thanks again

·
Registered
384 Posts
Ahhhh, Faux painting. One of the few processes I dread explaining to HO'S/DIYers or ARTISTS!!!!!! I believe it takes some artistic talent and creativity to do faux painting, rather than common sense and experience to do "house" painting. One of my favorite lines is telling the customer to "drink a glass of wine or two before you do the job." To get them loose, so to speak. That's the key, it's all about being spontaneous!

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I really love faux jobs!
I spent 7 months in Naples FL. as an apprentice with a full time faux/decorative co. that also worked Tromp de Soliel contracts. Yeah it was a dream job for me, and already having an extensive painting background helped tremendously.
However it sukked when the painting crews mocked us on jobsites...I felt conflicted in a way.
Double agent Wise!!

Great to see another faux member around!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts