Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone w a buddy of mine and he told me that they upped their prices on average of 5 - 6% effective 2020. Anyone else seeing that?

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Just got off the phone w a buddy of mine and he told me that they upped their prices on average of 5 - 6% effective 2020. Anyone else seeing that?
SW pricing has always seemed arbitrary- one of my biggest complaints when working with them. 40% off sales (the inside joke is that nobody ever pays full retail)! And yet, SW has been strategic about driving out competition.

I won't be too surprised when prices are gradually driven up proportional to their market share domination.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
SW pricing has always seemed arbitrary- one of my biggest complaints when working with them. 40% off sales (the inside joke is that nobody ever pays full retail)! And yet, SW has been strategic about driving out competition.

I won't be too surprised when prices are gradually driven up proportional to their market share domination.

SW employees all get a bonus when they put a local store out of business. Then watch rates go up and up. No one to thank but your selves.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
SW employees all get a bonus when they put a local store out of business. Then watch rates go up and up. No one to thank but your selves.
I have railed against this for years.
I generally support the local paint store when the choice is mine.

Competition is the cornerstone to Capitalism. SW feels like it is becoming a monopoly. I have often felt like they want to minimize the contractor, and reach the homeowner instead.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Here's an awkward scenario: (relevant to "customer purchasing paint" thread)

-Customer requests SW paint and specific product, and provides colors.
-SW is having 40% off sale.
-Customer wants to know if they can get the 40% off.
-hmmm - how to handle this?
-I check my prices, and see that my contractor rate for that particular product is not quite 40%. In other words, the person off the street could potentially get a better deal on that paint than I could.
-I approach SW with my dilemma.
-SW says they can offer me 40% off also (but only if I ask).
-WOW!
-Contractor to Customer: Heres the deal -1.) you can pick up the paint (PITA) 2.) I can give you a discount with no profit to myself and I can pick up the paint/ do all of the work. or 3.) I can charge you current retail like I charge all of my customers but I will pick up the paint? Thank you for your business.

- How would you like to proceed?

*obviously, SW must know this opens up the contractor to tension and bad feeling between customer and contractor.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Things like the sw 40% sale is one of many reasons I generally didn't itemized bids for residential work....my price was for a complete job, one price. Main reason was I tended to make more money with an aggregate price.

The local BM dealer gives anybody who asks contractor price. smh

*I certainly wouldn't expect them to drop prices 5-6%.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

-I check my prices, and see that my contractor rate for that particular product is not quite 40%. In other words, the person off the street could potentially get a better deal on that paint than I could.
-WOW!
-Contractor to Customer: Heres the deal -1.) you can pick up the paint (PITA) 2.) I can give you a discount with no profit to myself and I can pick up the paint/ do all of the work. or 3.) I can charge you current retail like I charge all of my customers but I will pick up the paint? Thank you for your business.

*obviously, SW must know this opens up the contractor to tension and bad feeling between customer and contractor.
Couldn't have said it any better. For 40 years I've dealt with these type of situations. I normally add $5 per gallon to MY paint price to cover the cost of getting it, meeting with the customer, my gas cost to and from the paintstore so a price increase doesn't bother me too much but the frustration with the 40% off sales that CAN make the contractor look bad will always remain, I guess.

For the record, I had started buying from a local (albeit, out of the way) BM store but it went out of business last fall leaving me "stuck" with SW.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
I have railed against this for years.
I generally support the local paint store when the choice is mine.

Competition is the cornerstone to Capitalism. SW feels like it is becoming a monopoly. I have often felt like they want to minimize the contractor, and reach the homeowner instead.
There actually was an investigation into SW for anti-trust violations when they bought Valspar. They had to sell several of their "brands" as a result of that investigation. Unfortunately because of the lack of suitable retail outlet several of those divested divisions and brands are already failing financially under their new owners. It is already too late to be honest. There literally are no nationwide retailers that aren't basically proxies of Sherwin Williams or PPG Other than Ben Moore and behr. And it will get worse. Some sources are saying up to 80% of the architectural paint market are controlled by SW, PPG, and behr.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts

-WOW!

And they don't care! As long as contractors flock to SW the way they do they will never care! Hell they are even training your competition!

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Yes, 5-6 % in the Northwest. But larger accounts seem to avoid most of these increases.
And they get an annual rebate from SW on their paint purchases on top of those lower prices.

Reactions: monarchski

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Just telling the truth. Not the "spin" that people trying to sell you paint give you.

and since i'm no longer in the paint industry....who knows?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts