Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Master Painter
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Direct Mail Advertising ...

I recently had a new direct mail ad campaign made up for me by a graphic artist . I'm going to use fliers and door hangers to reach my local customers . Which methods of direct mail do you guys find most productive ? Below are some of the adds I had made up . Love to hear your opinions on them ! :)

Oversized postcard

Door hanger ( two sided )

Full sized flier

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Nice print... I especially like the door hanger. Good use of color.

I get a better return on doorhangers as what I call perimeter marketing. That doesn't really tell the whole story though because when I want an big influx of leads for a new service offering, direct mail is more effective.

They are two different types of advertising each with their own return. Like anything else, there is no single be-all-end-all solution. Just like from primers to brushes, you use all the tools to put together the big picture.

Good luck with those!

·
Master Painter
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Looks great! Now get em out there.
I'll be putting them out on the next sunny day :)

Nice print... I especially like the door hanger. Good use of color.

I get a better return on doorhangers as what I call perimeter marketing. That doesn't really tell the whole story though because when I want an big influx of leads for a new service offering, direct mail is more effective.

They are two different types of advertising each with their own return. Like anything else, there is no single be-all-end-all solution. Just like from primers to brushes, you use all the tools to put together the big picture.

Good luck with those!

Thanks , I was advised by someone in the know that the doorhangers are a more effective way to get your company good exposure . But I'm always a doubting Thomas till I see the results for myself .

Ohhh , I revamped my business card to coordinate with all my other advertising materials also :)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
They look great!

I am in the process of coming up with some door hangers for proximity marketing, however I am struggling with the fact they need a call to action..ie- $$$$ off etc... I was thinking about making a business card with an offer and stapling it to the hanger so I can change direction without being stuck with 5000 hangers with one message.

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
Sorry for sounding stupid, but what are door hangers? Are you telling me that instead of posting fliers through the door you leave a door hanger flyer on peoples front doors? like you would a 'Do Not Disturb' door hanger in a hotel?
You got it exactly. "Door hangers" also have a cut out at the top so you can "hook" it onto something, like the door handle......

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can honestly say I have never seen that used as a form of advertising in the UK.

Flyers posted through the door have zero effect here, well the return is something like 1 in 1,000. Everyday you go home to a pile of flyers which get instantly binned unless it has something seriously eye catching or the home owner is very bored and decides to take a look.

I'm not sure if door hangers would work here??? People are hot on there privacy and a door hanger seems a bit like a calling card i.e. I was on your property. I know this is the same as posting a flyer through the door but it's a bit more in you face. Good from a marketing POV but i'm not sure how people would react here. Nice idea but needs some thought I think... hmmmmm

I'm all up for new ways to advertise. I've been thinking on doing some clean graffiti but haven't got round to it yet:blink:

·
Master Painter
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You got it exactly. "Door hangers" also have a cut out at the top so you can "hook" it onto something, like the door handle......
I'm still waiting for them to be delivered . When I get them in I'll scan one so you guys can see the doorhanger cut out thingy :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I can honestly say I have never seen that used as a form of advertising in the UK.

Flyers posted through the door have zero effect here, well the return is something like 1 in 1,000. Everyday you go home to a pile of flyers which get instantly binned unless it has something seriously eye catching or the home owner is very bored and decides to take a look.

I'm not sure if door hangers would work here??? People are hot on there privacy and a door hanger seems a bit like a calling card i.e. I was on your property. I know this is the same as posting a flyer through the door but it's a bit more in you face. Good from a marketing POV but i'm not sure how people would react here. Nice idea but needs some thought I think... hmmmmm

I'm all up for new ways to advertise. I've been thinking on doing some clean graffiti but haven't got round to it yet:blink:
The reason they can be effective is because they are not mixed in with the usual pile of fliers. They produce very well they are just (more) difficult to distribute. When I say "perimeter marketing" I have every crew leader lay out 20 or so to surrounding neighbors.

If you believe doorhangars are not done in your area, I would jump on it. You are not groundbreaking per se, just changing the game a bit. You could benefit greatly from that.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I send newsletters Email is pretty efective way to advertise! Your flyers look good, but to many words.....people don't want to read all that!

·
Master Painter
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I send newsletters Email is pretty efective way to advertise! Your flyers look good, but to many words.....people don't want to read all that!

While it's true that most customers don't want to get into reading a very "wordy" advertisement . Most will see the large bullet points and pictures of our work and that should hopefully be enough to stir their interest . :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
The greatest producing sales letter of all time was 4 pages long. Its about quality of presentation. If you can write, you can keep people reading.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Gives a nice high quality impression. I personally think however there is a little visual punch still lacking. The flyers won't stand out too much from the other dozens that homeowners get every week. Use more black or contrasting colours...

·
Master Painter
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gives a nice high quality impression. I personally think however there is a little visual punch still lacking. The flyers won't stand out too much from the other dozens that homeowners get every week. Use more black or contrasting colours...

I used to distribute a very bright yellow flier with bold black type . It worked for a long time but nowdays customers need to see more . I agree that it could use a little more visually . I wanted better pictures of my work used , But I had very little input on all of these materials as they were made up as a surprise by my brother !

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
I used to distribute a very bright yellow flier with bold black type . It worked for a long time but nowdays customers need to see more . I agree that it could use a little more visually . I wanted better pictures of my work used , But I had very little input on all of these materials as they were made up as a surprise by my brother !
Cool brother! :thumbsup:

·
Logistics
3,090 Posts
Back in the day, (sigh) wow I've been doing this awhile... I was all about trying to cram everything into fliers, ads etc. All my old stuff was wordy, like my posts, like my blog. Its so hard to leave out things you feel are important to get the message across. I am very big on the fact that you need to capture someones attention in 2-3 seconds.

I think your stuff looks good. Its not overkill. Appears to be effective.

Just remember why Google became successful so fast. Need a reminder? Go to www.google.com and have a look then go to yahoo.com

Then go to godaddy.com and look at that mess.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Sorry for sounding stupid, but what are door hangers? Are you telling me that instead of posting fliers through the door you leave a door hanger flyer on peoples front doors? like you would a 'Do Not Disturb' door hanger in a hotel?
It is against the law in the United States to post anything through the mail slot of the house that is not registered US mail of one form or the other.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts