Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I start a direct mail program?
The little I know about it is that I will have to get a postal license?
I would have to design and print a flyer.
Where do I get a mail listing of addresses for areas I want to target?
Would most of you agree that direct mail is the way to go?
Thanks for your help
Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have never done a direct mail program, however I know there are service companies out there that specialize in this type of marketing campaign. A good service will already have lists of homeowners in the areas you would like to target. Despite having to pay the service provider a fee, you may save money in the long run because they can get discounts on printing and they will already have a postal license. Depending on the size of the direct mail company, they may have even negotiated a better rate for bulk mail as well.

One other thing you might consider is to distribute a circular in your local newspaper. I know the cost for this is very low and you would then be able to get your flyers printed through your vendor. The circulation of newspapers has certainly declined over the years, so it may not be as effective, however more cost-effective.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Circular

Thanks for the advice Kevin
Getting a company that provides that service makes sense.
I'm not sure if I understand how the newspaper idea works. Are you saying the newspaper prints the flyer for its circulation, then if I want to I can have the direct mail service use it as well? Sorry if this flying over my head.
Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not quite

Sorry, I probably did not articulate myself very well. With respects to the newspaper, you go to them with the flyers you want placed in the newspaper. They will then take your boxes of flyers and insert one flyer in each newspaper headed to the households in your targeted area. So, the newspaper does not print them, you provide them to the newspaper. The flyer that you generate can then also be used by the direct mail service company. I would not recommend this because for the direct mail flyer, you will need a spot for a stamp and address. On the newspaper flyer, you will be able to fill both sides completely with content. Thus, having two flyers I think would be a better idea. Then again, you have to consider costs and you might be able to get a bulk discount from a printer.

·
Freedom Maker
119 Posts
Thanks for your help
Jim
I recommend Patrick with PainterzMail(you'll see his link over to the right or go to painterzmail.com). He has been working with us on a plan for 2008. We have tried to do direct mail ourselves, and do on occasion, but it is much easier and effective to just get some help from a professional and let it rip when you need.

We used a local company for some direct mail, and it worked pretty well, but I've found that painterzmail, because they are tailored specifically for a paint contractor can be more efficient and save even more money.

Just my 2 cents.

Ethan

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
Anybody give NAPP members a break on direct mail?

Also may want to check out Quantum mail. (not that I have used either)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for your help
Jim
Why do you need a postal license ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
About 1 out of 100 people do, so 1000 direct mailings will get you 10 leads. If you sell 1 of those.... you should make enough to do 10,000 mailings the next time.
.....The process continues

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Where 99% of guys go wrong is with the shotgun approach. They forget the basic rules of advertising and look for immediate gratification. Then they return to the forums and say "postcards don't work".

Again I have to pull a post from my forum so bare with any references to washing. In fact instead of posting here, I will post it in a new thread.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks for your help
Jim
More than one business expert has advised me that direct mail gets you the most for your advertising dollar. It must be done as part of an advertising campaign, using all forms available in your market area.

I was once in a business networking group. A direct mailer guy also
participated. His advice, was discuss your plan with a direct mail person first. He will be able to advice you on which format can be mailed inexpensively, and also how to target areas that would be beneficial to you.
Also, he knows which printers do optimal work and will tell you who to talk to.

When you go see the printer, he will give you the information for submitting your data in proper format for least expensive printing. Printer can also show you examples, and you could select a designer based upon those samples.

Ken, the direct mail guy I knew, took great pride in his work. He made very good presentations and made believers of our whole group.

Almost anything can be bulk mailed. If you take good advice and select the proper format you will get better impact at far less money.

One thing I recall specifically is that it must be repeated every 3 weeks to get the full effect.

Advertising is all about name recognition.

You want to be considered when the topic comes up.

·
Banned
201 Posts
and that guy took your payment with a smile on his face being that he him self has never run his own business and is just a salesman who hosed you. Bend Over for some more!

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
and that guy took your payment with a smile on his face being that he him self has never run his own business and is just a salesman who hosed you. Bend Over for some more!
I take offense to this for two reasons. Like it or not, we are all salespeople. Whether you are trying to sell yourself to some "hottie" for a date, or your kids trying to get you to buy that cool $200 pair of tennis shoes made out of un-obtainium or selling an interior paint job to one of your customers. You are in sales every day.

Two: I worked in sales for 10 years. Straight commision with repeat sales to a customer base that I partially built. If you did not perform you did not provide for the family. If you did not take care of the customer, you did not get repeat sales. (If you don't do a good job for your painting customers, you don't get referals or repeat sales) We paid all of our own expenses. There was not one SUCCESSFUL salesperson I know who does not believe they work for themselves.

In any business...if you constantly "bend over" your clients, you won't be around long. Are you a drunk? A drug addict? Too stupid to use your mind so you work with your hands? These are all thing I have heard about painters. I don't believe they are true and all salespeople are not crooks!

If there was and icon for "flipping the bird" I would end this message with it. (imagine this as a middle finger) :thumbsup:

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
Two: I worked in sales for 10 years. :thumbsup:
Oh...I forgot that I was still in sales. Just in another industry and that is what this link is really about. My appologies to all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts