Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who shoot in RAW, how to you download/save your images?

Do you convert to DNG or save as the camera's raw format?

As I am getting my new box in order, this question arose, 'cause I want to start off right.

I always though that DNG (Digital Negative) was an Adobe proprietary format, but I was wrong.

It is open source, whereas many of the camera manufactures use their own proprietary formats (nef, cr2, sr2, etc - except Leica and Hasselblad that already use DNG)

This means that if the manufacturer goes belly up (hey, Kodak and Polaroid are gone), OR they decide to not support their RAW format (Nikon has altered theirs), you may not be able to open those .NEF's, .CR2's, .ERF's, .PEF's, etc in the near or distant future.

Anyway, I think I am convinced to save in DNG but would like your opinions, nay or yay.

·
repaintpro
971 Posts
dArch, when I was right into photography I would shoot RAW and save them to my computer. Once the files were downloaded onto computer I would then batch process these into jpeg format, that would give me smaller files to upload to cloud storage and also use these jpegs for batch processing sometimes.

I would only ever have three formats RAW, TIFF and Jpeg........I think Canon have ARC but I never used this type of file.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I import the NEF files into Lightroom for sorting and basic processing. If I need to use layer masks or want to do a bit more creative editing, I export to Photoshop as a TIFF.

Its highly unlikely in my lifetime (even if Nikon went out of business tomorrow) that there wouldn't be support for the RAW format NEF

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I import the NEF files into Lightroom for sorting and basic processing. If I need to use layer masks or want to do a bit more creative editing, I export to Photoshop as a TIFF.

Its highly unlikely in my lifetime (even if Nikon went out of business tomorrow) that there wouldn't be support for the RAW format NEF
I hear you about the likelihood that there will always be support for NEF, but not necessarily by all photo editors. DNG is open source, and as you probably know, it took awhile for Adobe's Camera RAW to support the D 7100's NEF

Also, I understand that DNG is 15 - 20% smaller than NEF and the xmp data is included in the DNG file, not as a sidecar file as with NEF.

I wasn't a fan of DNG's, but with all these things I have found out, I am looking for reasons why I should store as NEF and not DNG

And I do NOT need any reasons to store as BOTH. I'm trying to cut that cursed hoarding umbilical cord. :yes:

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Bill, if you can batch convert, there doesn't seem to be a downside. The format seems to be lossless. I believe LR5 has batch conversion capability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts