Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or ask what price the other painters charged. I have never done this because I didn't want to give the impression that I don't know how to price jobs. The only time I ask about other contractors is when I'm already on the job, doing the work and chatting with the customer. Is it a good sales tactic to ask to see someone elses bid? I get enough work to keep me and a few guys busy, but I get a low percentage of my bids. Probably 20-25%. What percentage of bids do you guys land?

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Nah, it's not an insult. It's just that to some of us, 36 IS young :jester:

I have never asked about another's bid. Never felt it was my business. I can't remember a customer ever offering the info either.

My bid to acceptance rate has been very high, prolly in the 80 - 90 percent range. This summer with the economy the way it is, it dropped to below 50%. I almost take it as a personal insult when that happens.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
I have a form in my packet that allows customers to compare companies.

I do give a detailed scope of work and make sure to "point out" things that may be needed to be done that they should look for on any other bids. Sometimes they show me the other bids, but it is more like, "he did not spec that" or "he said this would be a good paint" etc.
I had one a few weeks on a new basement, other painter only priced rolling walls, no trim and she thought it was included and wondered why I was so much higher!:rolleyes:

So, I would ask not for the price, but for the scope!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Not really: But really, I think you know the answer to this question already, if you put yourself in the ho shoes. How would you feel about having a contractor over to your home and he asked what the other guy was bidding? As much as we contractors want to know the answer to this question, you should never ask.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, thats why I never asked. But I know that guys do, hence ads that you see where the company will "beat" any bid. I've never advertised like that because why the hell would I want to be the cheapest painter?

·
Paint Nerd
378 Posts
I have never outright asked about price or asked to see other bids. However, I have asked some clients what their criteria or concerns are for hiring a contractor. They almost always say price is a factor, so then that allows me to open the conversation about "you get what you pay for". The key is being tactful, respectful, and professional. Saying too much can cause more harm than good. Being a good listener is far more important than being a good speaker:thumbsup:

On a positive note, sometimes this really opens up the conversation and allows you to better educate the customer by addressing their "criteria or concerns", more specifically the issue of price.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Yeah, thats why I never asked. But I know that guys do, hence ads that you see where the company will "beat" any bid. I've never advertised like that because why the hell would I want to be the cheapest painter?
You make a good point. I have wondered about this myself, with that kind of advertising. I think that is more on like cars, and furniture kind of things.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I have asked. Why not? If they are going with the other company why not ask? Why not ask why they chose the other company? What are you worried about? Offending a H/O that is taking their business elsewhere? Who cares. I have asked, and try to find out if I can, what the other company gave them as a price and any other details I can. When I go to an estimate we usually have a decent talk and all. So if they go with someone else I would like to at least know why they chose them over me.. I don't think that is being rude, and gives me an idea of what the competition is.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I have asked. Why not? If they are going with the other company why not ask? Why not ask why they chose the other company? What are you worried about? Offending a H/O that is taking their business elsewhere? Who cares. I have asked, and try to find out if I can, what the other company gave them as a price and any other details I can. When I go to an estimate we usually have a decent talk and all. So if they go with someone else I would like to at least know why they chose them over me.. I don't think that is being rude, and gives me an idea of what the competition is.
Yeah: neighter along with a diet coke, sounds good.

·
Epoxy Dude
566 Posts
Well, we're a manufacturing company...

Sometimes it helps to get an opinion from outside (like from a non-painter in this case). Of course, sometimes the 'outsider' is a complete idiot and couldn't make a living painting if his life depended on it... lol... We post... you decide... lol...

BUT... If I were a painter I would ask. I would also ask who else bid. If I didn't get the job I would ask why and what they liked about the other painter. I would get as much information as possible to help me in the future.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Exactly Wolv... it is finding out as much as you can. I was painting a house and the guy across the street comes over and starts to BS with me, asks me how much I would charge to paint his house. I told him his house looks like it was just painted.. he said it was but wasn't happy with it. So we get into the discussion of why who the company was and all that jazz.. it is doing the backside of sales, the investigation that gives you the ammo to make you a better sales person. I know we did it when I worked in the different sales jobs I have had in the past.. found out what they offered, why, how much.. to help us know what the market was, who was in it, and what they were doing vs. us. Just makes sense.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
I have never outright asked about price or asked to see other bids. However, I have asked some clients what their criteria or concerns are for hiring a contractor. They almost always say price is a factor, so then that allows me to open the conversation about "you get what you pay for". The key is being tactful, respectful, and professional. Saying too much can cause more harm than good. Being a good listener is far more important than being a good speaker:thumbsup:

On a positive note, sometimes this really opens up the conversation and allows you to better educate the customer by addressing their "criteria or concerns", more specifically the issue of price.
:thumbsup:

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
I assumed the OP was asking about other bids on jobs that you had won. IMO, that is not any of my business.

I do however feel it would be helpful to ask why a bid was rejected. But do not limit the question to pricing alone, unless of course that was the HO's primary criteria.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If I won the bids I don't care what the others are. But I have started asking on jobs I lose sometimes I don't have to ask and that info is just voluntered. I normally don't ask who. Cuz I'm afraid I'll see them at SW and the first words out of my mouth will be "Hey you low balling SOB". But it has not come to this yet. But I like to know the winning price because maybe I messed up some where in the bidding process and I can refine my method.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
The customer sometimes shows me the other bids so I can help them compare them. I like the idea of seeing the other bid, however I dont ask to see it, I think that is not so professional. I may offer to help compare the estimates in a careful way.

People who advertise they will beat lowest price, are not lowballers. Usually they are the most professional estimate out their. Usually they have a few things in the offer that have to be met and those few basic simple professional things eliminates the lowballers right off the bat, Brian on here does this very thing, and has taked about it, and his rate is in the $60 range, and he has never had to lower his price. I have been meaning to start advertising like this, thanks for the reminder.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts