Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you feel that we need a review section where our members could provide ratings and honest feedback on products, tools, and equipment used in the trade?

Why? Why not?

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
I wouldn't mind writing some reviews if I got paid for it. I need incentive to do crap like that. Otherwise I'll have to be extremely bored...

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
I'm with TJ. I feel its too much like work to write a review about a tool. Although, there are several people that would get a kick out of it. The problem will be getting members to write something that's interesting, comprehensible, and consistent.

It's probably better to make a tool review something like a contest, so the lazy people don't have to work too hard. For example, provide a poll with several like tools, and have people vote. If they're inspired to write a comment, or review, about the tool they chose, or avoided, so be it. I think it would create more spontaneity, and perhaps generate debate.

The advertisers would love it!

·
Super Moderator
2,001 Posts
If it were set up like a contest where incentives were offered, then you'd have people writing reviews about products they've never used.

If there were a designated review section, we'd never have to read another new thread about Graco 390 vs Titan 440, no more cancerous Behr threads that make me throw-up in my mouth a little, etc.

The rest of the forums might well benefit from the lack of derails. & hijacks by persons wanting to interject an unsolicited review-or a request for review.

For those who wouldn't use it, fine. Don't hafta. But for many, I think it'd be beneficial. There's members on here who have my utmost respect. If they lend insight to a tool or product, I'm all ears. JMO.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I think carefully thought out, it would be a good thing to add. I'd like to see some reviews by others, but at the same time I also want to hear the negatives as well, in the event the person is biased or doesn't know there might be another comparable product out there to do the job.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Reviews can be exceptionally helpful, especially from experienced, learned, and honest professionals. And obviously they must be encouraged to be candid, warts and all.

That said, knowing this profession, if you ask four painters one question, you will get at least five different answers. And that can only lead to confusion.

I know when I am buying stuff online, I always check out the negative reviews first. I like to know the pitfalls and problems people have had with the product.

Also, I look at the constant "reviews" PT is forever offering about Behr and other "favorite" products. We tend to get passionate about our beliefs and defend them to death.

So yes, I think reviews can be useful, but I believe the structure needs be set up where A) people are candid and thoughtful and B) differing opinions are not belabored ad nauseum

And then there is always C) - Keeping each entry ON TOPIC

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
A poll format for introducing a tool wouldn't include a reward. It simply makes participation a lot easier and accessible for not only a handful of exclusive members, but for any lurker or drop in that would like to place a vote.

The bottom line is for everybody to participate in the subject of tool review, not just a handful of members that won't necessarily be representative of painters who are actually using these things out in the field.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
I'm with TJ. I feel its too much like work to write a review about a tool. Although, there are several people that would get a kick out of it. The problem will be getting members to write something that's interesting, comprehensible, and consistent.

It's probably better to make a tool review something like a contest, so the lazy people don't have to work too hard. For example, provide a poll with several like tools, and have people vote. If they're inspired to write a comment, or review, about the tool they chose, or avoided, so be it. I think it would create more spontaneity, and perhaps generate debate.

The advertisers would love it!
I like power tools. They are cool to own. Well yeah that's about it.:whistling2:

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
A poll format for introducing a tool wouldn't include a reward. It simply makes participation a lot easier and accessible for not only a handful of exclusive members, but for any lurker or drop in that would like to place a vote.

The bottom line is for everybody to participate in the subject of tool review, not just a handful of members that won't necessarily be representative of painters who are actually using these things out in the field.
John,

You set up what I presume is a sample review poll

http://www.painttalk.com/f12/tool-review-36177/

I think that may work if folks are encouraged to expand on their poll choice, such as you did.

The only tweak I would suggest is that you have more options in the poll, so the drive-bys can get a better idea at a quick glance.

Perhaps even a star system. From 5 being excellent to 1 being totally unacceptable. Again, encouraging folks to explain succinctly in text.

And I would keep a simple statement like you presented instead of a generalized, "What do you think of ***** product ?"

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Yes Bill, and Thanks.

I put the poll together really quick, without much thought, just to demonstrate how simple it is to conduct a tool review that offers not only easy participation for those interested, but includes the option to elaborate.

I also made it transparent so others can gauge a valued members opinion without having that member burdened with the time to write a review.

I think your suggestion would enhance the reviews even more. I also forgot to add a picture of the tool in the opening post.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts