Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Question regarding where you all spray your trim, doors and cabinets and what you do about fumes and overspray. I've had a shop with a room we've dedicated as our spray booth for about 7 years now. We spray all of our trim, doors, and cabinets in there then move to an adjacent room to dry. I have an attic exhaust fan installed up high for fumes that works, eh... ok, but not great. It does absolutely nothing for overspray dust. I am building a new shop with a 25x12 room for a spray booth. My question is is anyone investing in an "official" exhaust wall and Make-up Air Unit for primarily residential work? (You can easily invest $10k and on up for an adequate air system. I'm not looking to spend that.) How do you all keep the spray dust down in your booth area? Any suggestions, descriptions, or pictures on your set up would be appreciated.
Thanks Guys!

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Hello All,
Question regarding where you all spray your trim, doors and cabinets and what you do about fumes and overspray. I've had a shop with a room we've dedicated as our spray booth for about 7 years now. We spray all of our trim, doors, and cabinets in there then move to an adjacent room to dry. I have an attic exhaust fan installed up high for fumes that works, eh... ok, but not great. It does absolutely nothing for overspray dust. I am building a new shop with a 25x12 room for a spray booth. My question is is anyone investing in an "official" exhaust wall and Make-up Air Unit for primarily residential work? (You can easily invest $10k and on up for an adequate air system. I'm not looking to spend that.) How do you all keep the spray dust down in your booth area? Any suggestions, descriptions, or pictures on your set up would be appreciated.
Thanks Guys!
spray booths are regulated

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spray booths are regulated
Thank you for that comment. Would you be willing to elaborate or give some examples of what you do? Are there regulations on booths that use water based only or just booths that use hazardous/ flammable coatings?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I specialize in residential repaints, although occasionally handle new construction, and infrequently some light commercial work. I use temporary paint booths when spraying, although ‘spraying’ is mostly cabinets and doors these days, and often done on-site. I built a new shop this year also, and looked into spray booths, but decided it was not the direction I wanted to go.

“Official” spray booths are strictly regulated, and I’m not sure if it matters what is being sprayed- I’m sure you can find out online somewhere (and maybe fill us in), but thought it was worth mentioning.

I decided instead of creating one large workshop, to create a workshop with two rooms- divided by a French door. One clean side, and one dirty side.

The “dirty side” is for storage and work (sanding, painting, storage). I have about a dozen ladders in the dirty side, and scaffolding, etc..., in winter I might store trailers, or not, but it is useable for projects that may need to be run through. I may use a pop-up paint booth for small projects. (I have no ambition to be a factory-type production painter)

The clean side is good for drying, and I try to keep it as a wide open, flexible, clean space. I installed a 12’ seating bench and a 12’ work bench and nothing else. Good drying room.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I can't speak to the situation everywhere but i have a cabinet builder friend who recently switched all his finishes to water-based, as new regulations covering oil-based, lacquers etc woulve cost him 20-30k to comply. Not the most helpful comment i know, as i cant recall if it was osha, epa, or something else, but at least here in Wa state there is a regulation difference depending on what materials are being sprayed.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Hello All,
Thanks Guys!
*I believe exhausting a spray booth may require checking OSHA, EPA, and local and federal regulations. Fire Safety can be bypassed by using water based finishes.

Here are a few pics of my new shop - 20x24'

I'm not sure if its exactly what you are looking for, but its about the same size as what you are building.

I have an Jet air scrubber in the room (550-1044 CFM's), which is effective at catching and filtering overspray, and takes standard size filters. However, it kicks up wind, so I only use it after the pieces are dry or it won't affect the finish. I tend to just leave the room and close the door.

Some considerations:
- South facing windows for added light.

- added (2) 14" solar tubes on each side - easily one of the best decisions.

- in-ceiling speakers- easy and inexpensive to wire during new construction, and speakers takes up no space on the floor.

- vaulted ceiling (and extra insulation). Expensive, but definitely worth the extra expense, for moving longer trim.

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
Wow. I'd kill for a shop like that or even a garage or whatever. I haven't cleared out my van in months and it's a disaster. That being said, it's well below freezing here right now and we've got blowing snow to the point that the highway running north and south of town has been closed since last night. I'm not hanging out in my laneway bundled up in a snow suit with snow mobile mits on pulling that crap out.

That, and my wife doesn't exactly like it when I have to bring an extension ladder into the house to de ice it on the laundry room floor.

·
Administrator
21,541 Posts
Wow. I'd kill for a shop like that or even a garage or whatever. I haven't cleared out my van in months and it's a disaster. That being said, it's well below freezing here right now and we've got blowing snow to the point that the highway running north and south of town has been closed since last night. I'm not hanging out in my laneway bundled up in a snow suit with snow mobile mits on pulling that crap out.

That, and my wife doesn't exactly like it when I have to bring an extension ladder into the house to de ice it on the laundry room floor.
Wives... they have such a lack of empathy.

Reactions: Wildbill7145

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes! They are highly regulated but for us was worth it. I use solvent based coatings with and airless air assist so the booth is a must and you just get a better finish in a true booth.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,230 Posts
*Exhausting a spray booth will require checking OSHA, EPA, and local and federal regulations. Fire Safety can be bypassed by using water based finishes.

Here are a few pics of my shop - 20x24'

I'm not sure if its exactly what you are looking for, but its about the same size as what you are building.

I have an Jet air scrubber in the room (550-1044 CFM's), which is effective at catching and filtering overspray, and takes standard size filters. However, it kicks up wind, so I only use it after the pieces are dry or it won't affect the finish. I tend to just leave the room and close the door.
View attachment 111394

View attachment 111396

Some considerations:
- South facing windows for added light.

- added (2) 14" solar tubes on each side - easily one of the best decisions.

- in-ceiling speakers- easy and inexpensive to wire during new construction, and speakers takes up no space on the floor.

- vaulted ceiling (and extra insulation). Expensive, but definitely worth the extra expense, for moving longer trim.

View attachment 111397
Thats the cleanest garage Ive ever seen. lol. I'll take some photos of my setup tomorrow. Feeling like I need a bigger shop these days also.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Yes! They are highly regulated but for us was worth it. I use solvent based coatings with and airless air assist so the booth is a must and you just get a better finish in a true booth.
Hi, wondering if you could elaborate, please?

I have wondered about this also. What do you have to do to "regulate" a spray booth? Where do you even start with something like that?
Guessing the city will want to look at it, but also state and federal?
What are some of the guidelines?

Any pics you could share?

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
Hi, wondering if you could elaborate, please?

I have wondered about this also. What do you have to do to "regulate" a spray booth? Where do you even start with something like that?
Guessing the city will want to look at it, but also state and federal?
What are some of the guidelines?

Any pics you could share?
As an example of regulation, the California Bay Area Air Quality Board requires us to maintain an on site log for the amount of VOC's we're emitting along with the quantity of paint being used. They rarely come by to audit so there's a tendency to skip the log. But, because we're subject to un announced drop in inspections, we have to maintain them or be subject to fines.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here is a portable spray booth that is inexpensive compared to a full blown booth. I don't actually use this, but use extension poles and plastic to create a similar "booth" with a 24" drum fan that sucks all the overspray out. The fan produces I believe 3600 cfm. We use a filter over the fan to capture most of the overspray. Works quite well. With a stand set up in front of the fan, you can watch the overspray get sucked right in.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here is a portable spray booth that is inexpensive compared to a full blown booth. I don't actually use this, but use extension poles and plastic to create a similar "booth" with a 24" drum fan that sucks all the overspray out. The fan produces I believe 3600 cfm. We use a filter over the fan to capture most of the overspray. Works quite well. With a stand set up in front of the fan, you can watch the overspray get sucked right in.
Mr paint life will sell you the whole kit

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,230 Posts
This is my ghetto little spray booth. I need better ventilation, as right now I only have a bathroom fan, which is better than nothing that's for sure.
I actually have my shop sectioned off into 3 areas: A sanding /cutting zone, a clean mixing area, and the spray booth which is also my drying area.. Al little tight but it works..

Attachments

·
Banned
878 Posts
I might need someone in the states to buy me a few liners for thepaintline booth. They've stopped shipping to Canada....

·
Registered
121 Posts
I might need someone in the states to buy me a few liners for thepaintline booth. They've stopped shipping to Canada....
How do you like that booth? I have considered buying it for a quick set up on site. How well does it evacuate overspray?

·
Banned
878 Posts
How do you like that booth? I have considered buying it for a quick set up on site. How well does it evacuate overspray?
Took me 20 minutes to setup the very first time, which was faster than I expected. I had an issue with one of the corner pieces, so they sent me 4 more corner pieces free of charge.

With a regular box fan, I find that I need to cover the open side with about 2 or 3 feet of extra plastic, to shrink the opening. Then I get a nice breeze going through. I recommend shielding the fan and filter with some cardboard, so the overspray doest hit it directly. Makes the filters last longer.

I don't have the whole blower kit with exhaust hose, but it would be easy to set it up even without their kit.

My only concern, is that they stopped shipping to Canada! Also, they've had a limit of 3 liners per customer "due to supply issues" since last August. Which worries me. Worst case, I'd have to wrap the booth in my own plastic. But that would take much longer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts