Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

61 - 80 of 149 Posts

·
Time Traveler
1,624 Posts
I used to enjoy it until I lived my life behind the camera.
Wow, so nice, seriously.
Taking pictures of people is so hard. I've tried and failed. Candids is all I can do.
Thanks for posting these, they are very inspiring.

:cowboy:

Reactions: Repaintpro

·
repaintpro
971 Posts
:thumbup1:Thank you guys. I much prefer making images of people than landscape work......however time constraints with family and painting make it very hard to get into the frame of mind required!

You guys are taking some great stuff! Here are a couple of images with my little point and shoot G12 canon camera. I love not having to lug stuff around!

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Any descriptions of the steps you took to create the Opera House & Harbour Bridge ??

Please

·
repaintpro
971 Posts
Any descriptions of the steps you took to create the Opera House & Harbour Bridge ??

Please

I am not sure why I stripped the metadata out of the images. So this was a family trip to Sydney, hence taking the little G12 camera, I still take a tripod with a ball and trigger head as I like to swivel around (that comes from taking images of people).

Set camera to manual mode

Dial your aperture down so you let in as much of that gorgeous light as possible! I keep mine at around f8-9.5. The lens it at its sharpest around f8-9.5 and I dont need DOF. Also you can mimic a lens filter when you get your aperture right (I dont technically know why but you can)

Set ISO to 80 or 100........whatever your cameras native ISO rating is.

Take a couple of test shots to get your exposure correct. These might have been 10-30 sec exposure.

When you have the exposure right, set your timer so you dont have to touch the camera once you have composed your shot.......nothing worse than a soft image created by toughing the camera.

Press the button and magic happens! :thumbsup:

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
I am not sure why I stripped the metadata out of the images. So this was a family trip to Sydney, hence taking the little G12 camera, I still take a tripod with a ball and trigger head as I like to swivel around (that comes from taking images of people).

Set camera to manual mode

Dial your aperture down so you let in as much of that gorgeous light as possible! I keep mine at around f8-9.5. The lens it at its sharpest around f8-9.5 and I dont need DOF. Also you can mimic a lens filter when you get your aperture right (I dont technically know why but you can)

Set ISO to 80 or 100........whatever your cameras native ISO rating is.

Take a couple of test shots to get your exposure correct. These might have been 10-30 sec exposure.

When you have the exposure right, set your timer so you dont have to touch the camera once you have composed your shot.......nothing worse than a soft image created by toughing the camera.

Press the button and magic happens! :thumbsup:
Essentially, just a longer exposure with a middle f stop.

I was just surprised the sky came out as black as it did without some fooling around during post exposure manipulation.

·
Time Traveler
1,624 Posts
I love photography but do not spend nearly enough time actually doing it. A couple pics from my Nikon D60
I'm so jealous of people who are close to such beautiful landscapes.
S. Texas is so bleak especially right now. You kinda have to create your own.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts

a true artist makes masterpieces with the pallet he/she is given.

You ain't got nuthin to worry about.

I always find when I am new to an area, it is easy to find interesting compositions. But after the surroundings become too familiar, it is difficult to see creatively.

maybe that's just me.

Reactions: Underdog

·
repaintpro
971 Posts

With your landscapes......you have two main things to get right, Lighting and composition.

The rule for lighting landscapes is you have golden hours. Hour after sunrise and hour before sunset. Shoot during these these times and you can have awesome light, dont even take the camera out if it's midday (try not to anyway)

Composition, use your rule of thirds.

Personally I think light and composition comes before everything else. Even subject is irrelevant to making a image look attractive.

·
repaintpro
971 Posts
a true artist makes masterpieces with the pallet he/she is given.

You ain't got nuthin to worry about.

I always find when I am new to an area, it is easy to find interesting compositions. But after the surroundings become too familiar, it is difficult to see creatively.

maybe that's just me.
How true that statement is. I find when you are screaming for creativity to come out, creativity is very shy and digs it heals in!

One photographer that is very easy to follow and understand is Ken Rockwell. Lots of people hate him, I like his simplicity in explaining photography.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I am hoping for some decent weather this coming weekend so I can get some new shots. I am not a big fan of cold weather so I tend to hibernate when the weather is nasty.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Cricket, sometimes I do not like folks living inside my head - or at least looking at it through what must be a portal :whistling2:

Those first two passages perfectly describe my present state - and I have drawn the same conclusions for the fix.

The last passage I am still pondering - but something rings true :thumbsup:

Reactions: Cricket

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I think that most people who love taking pictures go through similar stages.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
I think that most people who love taking pictures go through similar stages.
That I know, but it is still good to read.

I am sure most folks with creative/artistic drives go through the same. But it's still nice to hear we are not alone.

With that in mind, I reworked an old pic today. It did not turn out the way I wanted and I thought, "not ready for viewing by others". But at least I tried. And after reading what you wrote, I feel more at ease to show it, not because it is the finish product I wanted, but because it demonstrates an attempt, a step, a progression.

It's trying to capture the feeling we get in late late winter that not all is stark and frozen and we will emerge soon enough.

Nope, they all can't be perfect.

StopRiver1039a.jpg

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Some of my favorite pictures break every rule and the quality sucks.

This is one that is so far below perfection it isn't even funny, but my grandson was acting up in the store. His mama, put him over her shoulder to take him outside and he was screaming for his grandma, to SAVE HIM!

It still makes me smile every time I see it.

·
repaintpro
971 Posts
Some of my favorite pictures break every rule and the quality sucks.

This is one that is so far below perfection it isn't even funny, but my grandson was acting up in the store. His mama, put him over her shoulder to take him outside and he was screaming for his grandma, to SAVE HIM!

It still makes me smile every time I see it.
I like this Image a lot! Post process is a little contrasty or heavy with dodge and burn tool but the image has captured a fantastic moment in time. :thumbup:

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I like this Image a lot! Post process is a little contrasty or heavy with dodge and burn tool but the image has captured a fantastic moment in time. :thumbup:
It was actually just a quick iPhone shot (that I tried to save throwing an iPhone filter on it) and yeah, it sucks, but I sure love having a picture (good or bad) of that moment.

61 - 80 of 149 Posts