Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's the perfect age to go out on your own. Nothing will make you learn and improve faster than the pressure of running your own business.

Don't tolerate a psycho boss. When I started out, I put up with a maniac boss and regret every day I did so.

That said, you don't need to start a business to get away from a bad boss. If you don't feel 100% sure about going it alone, find the best paint company in your area and get some experience at a top shelf business.

·
Registered
511 Posts
That's the perfect age to go out on your own. Nothing will make you learn and improve faster than the pressure of running your own business.

Don't tolerate a psycho boss. When I started out, I put up with a maniac boss and regret every day I did so.

That said, you don't need to start a business to get away from a bad boss. If you don't feel 100% sure about going it alone, find the best paint company in your area and get some experience at a top shelf business.
"People don't quit jobs, they quit bosses."

The old quote often thrown around.

·
Administrator
21,731 Posts
Well if Mr. Craigy Pants is as tardy replying to clients as he is to a forum question, it may not go well.. 🤷‍♂️
Yep. Even a few “likes” thrown in here or there would have been appropriate. Hopefully he will check in soon and rectify the situation.

·
Registered
Painter & Furniture Refinishing
2,448 Posts
Yep. Even a few “likes” thrown in here or there would have been appropriate. Hopefully he will check in soon and rectify the situation.
Perhaps he was just a fly by "member" and is permanently absent, now. :(

·
Administrator
21,731 Posts
He retired from slinging a brush with all the great advice he was given he's probably out setting up franchises all over the United States and he's going to reap billions of dollars.;)
Hey! That’s MY plan! But I may have gotten things out of order since the only part of it I’ve implemented is the retirement.

·
Registered
Residential Painting
5 Posts
I’m 24 years old been painting for 3 years, i don’t wanna get stuck like my co workers who have been working for 10 years and have never touched a sprayer or patched a wall, i already know how to do more then them because i went out and started doing it on own to learn , some of my co workers only rolled never touched a brush for 3 -4 years. My boss has anger issues and pisses me off even though he’s my family lol. Basically what I’m asking do you think I’m too young for people to take me serious ? I’ve painted entire exterior jobs myself and pretty much do every job start to finish myself with one other person cause the boss never works lol. I can spray roll cut everything only thing i don’t do is patch holes cause never got the chance. Will customers think I’m too young ? Will i have a hard time hiring help because they will most likely be older then me? Any recommendations?
I'd say this is the best time for you to get out there on your own. If you have the skillset down then its going to be all about getting business and finding reliable help, when needed. Depending on where you live the market is bonkers and you can find work pretty easy, even production stuff for GC's. Employees will always have their challenges, no matter how old they are, Don't let age become a topic, take control and set expectations. The only way to learn is to get a little dirty!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Hey i appreciate all of you guys and everything i will get back to as many as i can soon enough, life has been crazy and business haha. You guys gave me some of the best advice ever though thank you !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
He retired from slinging a brush with all the great advice he was given he's probably out setting up franchises all over the United States and he's going to reap billions of dollars.;)
Haha sorry people i really appreciate the advice; when i get a chance to sit down at my computer illl get back to everyone , my life is crazy at the moment I’ve been dealing with some health issues . And the paint talk forum slipped my mind but guys r the best !

·
Administrator
21,731 Posts
Hey i appreciate all of you guys and everything i will get back to as many as i can soon enough, life has been crazy and business haha. You guys gave me some of the best advice ever though thank you !
No worries. Just giving ya‘ a hard time. Real life and work take priority over PT anytime.

Reactions: jennifertemple

·
Registered
14 Posts
You're not too young bruh, if you would've started 3 years ago in an apprenticeship, you would almost have your ticket. Just remember every job you do, every "Client" you meet, you're selling a "Reputation" to them, and everyone they may talk to.

Be honest and courteous, don't take on more than you can handle, and you should be fine.

I'll put up a pic of a basic contract as a reference. Here's a link to a video on quick drywall fixes .. I put a space between MEDIA and = so just copy/paste and use the backspace to fix the link.

[MEDIA =youtube]BUcT5LHmA7w[/MEDIA]

I have this old saying hung above my door.. "Stay Small and Keep it All." Good Luck!
Black Font Line Material property Parallel

41 - 52 of 52 Posts