Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
Awesome, Aaron. What will you use for chems when you wash over water?

We just did one of our annuals, 200' of dock on water. We had a guy in a kayak with wand for the perimeter skirts. I didn't post pics here but they are on our fb.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
What are the procedures? I was curious when I saw Scott's guy using a power washer in a kayak! Or all the chemicals you use to clean safe for the water?

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I am not so sure about phosphates around water. Its difficult getting a hold of the right AHJ, but these jobs are always worth the extra homework. Jobs like this I go against everything I preach. Straight water, higher pressure and waterborne sealers.

·
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not so sure about phosphates around water. Its difficult getting a hold of the right AHJ, but these jobs are always worth the extra homework. Jobs like this I go against everything I preach. Straight water, higher pressure and waterborne sealers.
Why would you choose a waterborne and would you be OK with the Sikkens Waterborne SRD?
Better yet what would you recommend?

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
Why would you choose a waterborne and would you be OK with the Sikkens Waterborne SRD?

Phosphate free TSP...Oil is ok, just be very very careful of drips. A small drop of oil stain hitting the water, looks like the gulf oil spill. Waterborne would have less impact if a drip or two hits the lake.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
NC pretty much summed it up. If you get any into the water, it will disperse and sink. Oil spills are like a little tattletale that can stick around for days or move a mile away, intact, if there is enough of it. There are also less volatile carriers in a waterborne so its more environmentally sound.

I can't make any product recommendations because I just don't know them well enough to point you in the right direction. SRD would probably be fine. I didn't know they had a waterborne.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Aaron, on a still lake like that, you can use large blue tarps with bobbins attached to the eye holes at the corners.

This one definitely qualifies for the PITA category, though that can be overcome at the right price ;)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I am not a professional washer but from my mediocre experience the problem with using high pressure only on wood is the felting. Most HOs don't want to pay you to sand the deck. Here, however with chemicals being an issue, why not factor in the sanding, find a way to tarp the water (necessity is the mother of invention) and use a good penetrating oil stain that will hold up longer?

And I would be in a john boat, NOT a kayak, unless I wanted to swim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts