Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I don't know what you're "touching up", but I do touch-ups all the time, and they are not noticeable. What kind of paint are you using? Are "touch-ups" your sole criteria for using a flat paint?
?
And no everything CApainter said is basically why I prefer flat

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thatguy93, what do your customers think of using flat vs eggshell, satin or semi-gloss? Wouldn't it depend on what surface you are painting? Would you put a flat paint on a kitchen ceiling where the customer is known to cook a lot of fried foods? Ever try to clean grease off of flat vs semi-gloss paint? You can't clean grease off of flat nearly as well as off of a good semi-gloss because a flat is open and porous and allows grease to soak into the paint whereas semi-gloss seals the surface and grease stays on top of the paint allowing it to be effectively cleaned off of the surface. What do your customers have to say about using different sheens in different areas for different purposes? Have you ever lost a painting bid because you tried to convince a potential client to go with flat when they wanted eggshell or satin? I have and I try not to do that anymore because it is bad for business - mine. Any thoughts?

futtyos
Right, but what situation and circumstances would a customer be in? Are they in situations in which grease is a problem?does the customer like shine or no shine at all? Does a customer want a finish that shows off the color more? Does the customer want to see more of a glow? There's many factors to consider. If I were to have a customer that wanted to do a finish that wasn't flat I would tell them that they'll see what happens In a few years with constant washing and scrubbing because for touching up flat paint touches up better than any other sheen if they were to save money. Answer these questions for me. 1. What is the proper way to clean and wash walls? 2. In order to avoid being stupid any further, if you were to wash flat paint would the whole entire coat come off and you would be left with bare walls or would paint still be on there? 3. If you were to see imperfections on walls what do you think would hide them the best?

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I don't know what you're "touching up", but I do touch-ups all the time, and they are not noticeable. What kind of paint are you using? Are "touch-ups" your sole criteria for using a flat paint?
?
If you don't know what I'm touching up then you should use your brain good sir. Touching up the wall it's not that difficult to guess. At some point in time your walls won't look as good a few years down the line. Touching up makes a difference. Clearly you have no experience with witnessing walls after a duration of time. No I'm not taking about 1 month.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I'm telling you that from the experience of others including professional painters that you cannot touch up easily, note the word easily, with anything other than flat. Brand does not matter. There is no BS in this. I call your BS on flat being literally impossible to clean as in not at all because that's definitely bullshit. Look up touch up. Search and research touch up. I guarantee you that most of the time the answer will be that it's hard to touch up without repainting. To achieve a near perfect touch up flat is the best. You can touch up with other sheets but not as good as flat this is 100% a fact.
Whom do you think you have been replying to on this forum?

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Whom do you think you have been replying to on this forum?
I've got a mixed bag, I have professional painters that tell me you can't touch up as easily, note my words, as easily not at all with anything other than flat and they recommend repainting. I have others that are telling me you can with anything other than flat in this thread. If you understand chemistry and learn the science behind it you'll know its more of the former.

·
Premium Member
15,383 Posts
It’s not about what we like or prefer, but what the customer wants or will work best for their situations: Flat for ceilings. Eggshell for most walls (though matte was becoming a bit more in vogue). And satin tor bathrooms, kitchens, and utility rooms (often walls and ceilings). Sometimes higher sheens for teen baths or kids’ bedrooms. Those seemed to be the standard sheen combinations around here for pretty much as long as I can remember.

Black matte for walls? Who were you painting for - Charles Manson or Jeffrey Dalmer?
I prefer Marylin Manson, but what I was referring to was commercial ceilings in businesses with open ceiling designs where natural woods and metals are complimented with a matte black ceiling to hide the utilities (including duct work) and enhanced by the effect of smartly placed lighting.

·
Administrator
20,080 Posts
Ju
To achieve a more better blend, flat paint is the best. There is no argument here you can either disagree with me and have more flawed logic or agree with me with reasonable logic
Since you are quite new here I want to give you a friendly word of caution.

Most of what takes place here on PT are discussions about products and processes in our trade. That means there will almost always be different opinions and rarely are there cut and dried answers or solutions to a situation. Laying down an opinion and claiming it is the only correct one and that the opinions of others are worthless, does not typically end well. Not saying you CAN’T take that approach, only that from my experience here, those that do usually don’t end up hanging around very long - for a variety of reasons.

·
Super Moderator
6,614 Posts
I thought everyone is a painter. At least that's the impression I always got.
I dare you to go out in public and start telling everyone they're a painter. lol. Hope you can float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. lol. I can hear it now.... "You calling me a painter? You son of a biotch! I ain't no painter!"

·
Premium Member
15,383 Posts
I dare you to go out in public and start telling everyone they're a painter. lol. Hope you can float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. lol. I can hear it now.... "You calling me a painter? You son of a biotch! I ain't no painter!"
So many times I had to face the old, "I could paint it no problem, but my sciatica's acting up and I've got better things to do!" "Grumble, grumble...poot"

·
Administrator
20,080 Posts
Reactions: CApainter

·
Monarchski
148 Posts
Many professional painters and contractors agree with me that with anything other than flat paint you can't touch up. It may be possible, but if you want an even finish without any noticeable sheen differences, flat paint is what touches up the best. This is well known and I disagree with you. You have to repaint the whole wall. I've heard this from professionals, and amateurs are usually the ones to say that you can touch up with anything other than than flat. You can't. I've seen several images and scenarios in which people tried to touch up non-flat and it looks horrible. Brand does not matter. If you want to argue with this to professionals you can but they'll straight up tell you that you simply can't to achieve a even surface and appearance.
Many professional painters and contractors agree with me that with anything other than flat paint you can't touch up. It may be possible, but if you want an even finish without any noticeable sheen differences, flat paint is what touches up the best. This is well known and I disagree with you. You have to repaint the whole wall. I've heard this from professionals, and amateurs are usually the ones to say that you can touch up with anything other than than flat. You can't. I've seen several images and scenarios in which people tried to touch up non-flat and it looks horrible. Brand does not matter. If you want to argue with this to professionals you can but they'll straight up tell you that you simply can't to achieve a even surface and appearance.
Does a true dead flat touch up best? Yes. is it the only paint that will touch up? No. I've been in the industry for 35 years both as a contractor and as a Sales Rep for several different paint companies and the extent of a touch up is for the painting contractor until the job is finished and he's paid. SW products have a poor reputation for touching up unless it's out of the original can but most other companies sell products that do very well from batch to batch. You're talking about years down the road after people have been scrubbing on the walls? Who cares! That's called time for a new paint job which is what pays our bills. You've got to be a homeowner.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Does a true dead flat touch up best? Yes. is it the only paint that will touch up? No. I've been in the industry for 35 years both as a contractor and as a Sales Rep for several different paint companies and the extent of a touch up is for the painting contractor until the job is finished and he's paid. SW products have a poor reputation for touching up unless it's out of the original can but most other companies sell products that do very well from batch to batch. You're talking about years down the road after people have been scrubbing on the walls? Who cares! That's called time for a new paint job which is what pays our bills. You've got to be a homeowner.
Who cares? Do you understand customer satisfaction? Being a sales representative you would know what would save the most money. Being a sales rep you advertise certain finishes other than flat are washable, but after some time it gets crappy. Where is your customers satisfaction then knowing they have to repaint? Most people don't want to spend money on repainting. Flat is cheaper and it's the best finish to touch up on. As a sales rep you should know it's cheaper and some people don't have the time and money to repaint. It costs more for a pro to do it as well. If a person were to get a dent on their car and the paint was chipping off would you tell them "who cares youre paying me and you're losing money"

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Who cares? Do you understand customer satisfaction? Being a sales representative you would know what would save the most money. Being a sales rep you advertise certain finishes other than flat are washable, but after some time it gets crappy. Where is your customers satisfaction then knowing they have to repaint? Most people don't want to spend money on repainting. Flat is cheaper and it's the best finish to touch up on. As a sales rep you should know it's cheaper and some people don't have the time and money to repaint. It costs more for a pro to do it as well. If a person were to get a dent on their car and the paint was chipping off would you tell them "who cares youre paying me and you're losing money"
I guess you just showed up here to argue with everyone if you heard something different from what you already think? You made your point. You'd rather use flats for several reasons. Great. Use flats. You have my blessing. But I don't think anyone really cares anymore.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I guess you just showed up here to argue with everyone if you heard something different from what you already think? You made your point. You'd rather use flats for several reasons. Great. Use flats. You have my blessing. But I don't think anyone really cares anymore.
Tell that to your customers

21 - 40 of 82 Posts