Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I used to make a bad assumption that what I do is "just painting" and that the customer would know simple things like we use drop cloths and that all of our paint lines will be very straight. Make a list of all of the things you feel you already do every job and don't forget to tell the customer these things. For interior painting, I tell my customers the following: We protect to make sure that paint doesn't get on anything it shouldn't, drop cloths for the floors and plastic for furnishings, we sand the walls and address imperfections in the surfaces we are painting, we use quality paint products, we do two coats on all of the walls, all of our paint lines are very straight along the ceiling and trim, and we clean up after ourselves like we were never there...

Is anybody else doing this at the estimate?

http://straightedgepaintingllc.com

·
Premium Member
14,974 Posts
I think its probably a good idea to provide a list of standard good practices for the customer. For example, things that address preparation, protection, and clean up.

I wouldn't include a standard application procedure because that will vary along with any preparation beyond the standard practice of cleaning existing surfaces prior to painting, removal of loose and peeling paint, sanding and removal of dust, and priming with appropriate material over bare substrates.

Most proposals I've read that include a painting section, provide a good standard practices section, along with options for coatings that will provide similar performance.

·
Dry as Rye
498 Posts
All of that, but looking handsome the whole gosh dang time. And there in lies the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk.com

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
As you make your list, remember to remain succinct. Don't loose them endless details.

BTDT

·
Do NOT Drink Paint
166 Posts
Hey guys, I used to make a bad assumption that what I do is "just painting" and that the customer would know simple things like we use drop cloths and that all of our paint lines will be very straight. Make a list of all of the things you feel you already do every job and don't forget to tell the customer these things. For interior painting, I tell my customers the following: We protect to make sure that paint doesn't get on anything it shouldn't, drop cloths for the floors and plastic for furnishings, we sand the walls and address imperfections in the surfaces we are painting, we use quality paint products, we do two coats on all of the walls, all of our paint lines are very straight along the ceiling and trim, and we clean up after ourselves like we were never there...

Is anybody else doing this at the estimate?

http://straightedgepaintingllc.com
Yes. Let them know they are hiring a pro. Also put that kind of stuff on your website and provide a reasonably detailed scope of work section in your contract.

Be careful of clean up promises. Your definition of cleaning up might not be their definition of cleaning up. I tell repaint customers that we do a general sweep, swiffer and vacuum of all work areas but if they want a more thorough cleaning they should hire a service or we can "recommend" one for them. Always good to know a couple good cleaning service operators in this business.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts