Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Don't You Just Love It...

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  TJ Paint 
#1 ·
Just venting here.

Got a call earlier this week from a business here in town. They want a bid for painting the interior of their offices. We talk and go over a few details on the phone and make an appointment for me to come by this morning to look at the project so I can write up a bid.

So, three days have gone by since the since the initial call - not all that much. I'm in my truck literally five minutes from getting there this morning and my cell rings. It's the rep asking me if I'm on my way. I reply in the affirmative and she apologizes and says that due to other things going on today (Christmas party) she'll need to reschedule.

I stay polite and professional but inside I'm seething. Couldn't she have figured this out when she originally suggested the day and time? How about yesterday afternoon? Heck, how about 20 minutes before the appointment time?

Some people.... :cursing:

#2 ·
Sorry Dan. The lady called and told me after seeing your Christmas lights last night, she was going to use a Mr Steve Richards instead. She just didn't have the heart to tell you. :jester:

#5 ·
Yeah, didn't get the vibe it was a brush off. Says she wants to meet Monday. We'll see.

Meanwhile, since my earlier OP I got an email confirmation from a customer concerning a large interior that was tentatively scheduled for February. Will be drawing up the contract for that this afternoon so my frustration level has subsided considerably. Nothing like a positive customer experience to cancel out a negative one. :thumbup:

Good luck with yours!

#6 ·
I did an estimate last week for a homeowner who is to move into his new home Dec 24....The possession date is Dec 14 and he also needs to get new carpet installed...Fine, I meet him and his Realtor to take a look and spend an hour with the guy going over everything...He says I'm the only painter to see the job and that my price is reasonable...We create a time schedule and schedule another meeting to go over the paint colours...

Three hours later I get a text message phone call saying that his son and his buddy from military college will do the painting and he thanks me...Keep in mind he bragged about owning a big engineering company that employed 15 people.

I actually reduced my price by 50% for that job because it's slow....

#8 ·
Mine wasn't a cancellation on a scheduled job, just a last minute cancellation to do the bid. It was just the inconsiderateness of her waiting until literally the last minute (well, five minutes) to cancel that p----d me off. The ones that verbally commit and then change their mind shortly thereafter (before a contract can be drawn up) are very frustrating.

#10 ·
Thanks Bill - and I hear you loud and clear.

Actually this is one that we may just choose to pass on. We know our limitations and at 11,000 sq. ft. we are pretty much there. But, it depends on how they want to do it. If it's an "all at once" kinda deal (which I think they want - but their time frame is between Christmas and New Years - good luck!) then we are not their outfit. However, if it's a bit by bit kind of job (which we could do very easily) then perhaps we can do business. Either way, if there are any more "games", or if my gut tells me to run the other way, we will be done with it.

Fortunately, plenty of other work is on line and waiting so it's not a "must have" job for us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.