Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Double Tap

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Pete Martin the Painter 
#1 ·
I was at my California Paint dealer inquiring on their Storm stains. I have a fairly old deck I have to do. It was built well. good board spacing. Never stained. HO wants it stained. the dealer suggested an oil stain but doing a double tap. Where right after I put my first coat do a second coat. I mean right after. Do it before the first has time to dry and seal so it will accept the second coat.

Anyone done this before?

#10 ·
I did a this with Storm oil semi transparent (although we call it a wet coat) many years ago, I think it was around 6 years) on a really beat up deck. I will be doing it again in the Spring. It needs a lot of work done because of structural issues and the railings are not up to code. But, that said, the stain has help up really well. I could have easily put only a maintainance coat of the railings if they were not being replace. The deck is on the west side of the building and is almost in full shade most of the day. So, almost now full strength summer sun beating down on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.