• drywaller

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • painter

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
WOw thank you for your detailed help! I really like telling them that information in a written form instead of verbally. theres no room for not having what I need , or getting lots of unexpecteds. Im implementing these sggestions with my own wording, immediately. Thank you from Detroit!!
Sure. Heres my quote form, which is only for wallpaper, so it probably wont apply to you, but take what you will from it...

Hi, Im Chris, from Woodco Paint and Wallcoverings. If you'd like a wallpaper quote, please do the following. To keep your cost down, I can quote most jobs from home with a little help from you:

Note: Before you go any further, I dont install peel and stick.

IMPORTANT: PLEASE EMAIL ALL INFORMATION to [email protected]

***For quote information: Please DO NOT call, text or message through websites such as thumbtack! I will go through my emails when I am home. Email gives me easy reference, and doesnt notify my phone, and distract me from the job at hand. Please allow up to a day or longer, if its a big job. I try to do quotes either early evening, or early in the morning. Emails do occasionally get lost, so please follow up if you havent heard from me after 48 hours.

What I need: (You may have given me some, or all of this, thats okay. Please restate anything so I can use the email for reference.)

#1: Measurements: accurate ceiling height and wall lengths, ignoring doors and windows. Square footage means very little to wallpaper, so keep it length, height and width please. More complex rooms might need a little more guidance.

#2: An online link to your chosen material, or at least the name of the company and the pattern name or number, so I may look it up and know exactly what I'd be working with. If you have already purchased, please tell me how much you have.

#3 Pictures. (Video works as well)A close up of the wall surface, so I can determine whether a float or liner is required. Also, general pictures help me a lot as well. Pictures of windows, doors, cabinets, sink areas, tile etc, or anything else odd on the walls so I know what to expect. Feel free to take several, especially in bathrooms, as they usually have some complex features.

#4 Location. What part of town are you in? If it is a multi level building, gated community, or will otherwise have difficult parking or load in situations, please let me know.

Large jobs, or complex rooms may require me to come out in person to measure. A small deposit may be required.

*pricing is good for 90 days.

Thank you very much, and I'll be looking forward to your project! Woodcopainting.com https://www.instagram.com/woodcopainting/

·
Registered
64 Posts
In my neck of the woods, it’s actually the GCs responsibility to ensure we have a clean environment to spray in. Sure, the drywallers clean up a bit, but the builder is generally the one who has the air filter equipment, uses a blower on the walls and does the “final vacuum “ before we arrive. It’s been my experience that there’s no point in trying to get other trades to clean up after themselves, it never goes far. If things do get to a point where I deem it unacceptable and I have to clean, we track the time, note who’s mess/tools/content it is and bill the GC. Things have a way of sorting themselves out after that

* quick edit- however we do dust down walls in the corners of walls/ceilings before we spray- more as a QC measure than cleaning up after someone

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my neck of the woods, it’s actually the GCs responsibility to ensure we have a clean environment to spray in. Sure, the drywallers clean up a bit, but the builder is generally the one who has the air filter equipment, uses a blower on the walls and does the “final vacuum “ before we arrive. It’s been my experience that there’s no point in trying to get other trades to clean up after themselves, it never goes far. If things do get to a point where I deem it unacceptable and I have to clean, we track the time, note who’s mess/tools/content it is and bill the GC. Things have a way of sorting themselves out after that

* quick edit- however we do dust down walls in the corners of walls/ceilings before we spray- more as a QC measure than cleaning up after someone
Yes. I agree. I don’t trust drywallers or the contractor to completely dust walls and trim before we paint so we go over it well before priming. Even if they do dust everything there is most likely dust in the air that settles.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Stuff like that can be saved for the actual contract.
I put that in my proposal as I want the client to know up front what I am proposing to do and anything else will be extra. When the client signs the proposal it becomes the contract. I like to kill 2 birds with one stone. When the job is done I convert the proposal into the invoice. I guess that would make it 3 birds.

futtyos

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
walking into the prime before finish drywall mud touch ups, the entire house , floors and walls were filled with drywall dust and mud mountains on the floor. is it the painter or the drywaller to clean this up before the prime? I feel like they are using me to clean all of this up prime it so they can see their errors and fix them. then im going to have to re prime all of their misses. Please help us decipher whose is what
Thanks Tom
Reliable Painting Plus llc
se michigan
It sounds like this is not the first time you have cleaned up after the drywallers. Since you are doing work for this construction company it seems likely that you will see more cleaning up in the future. Why not type up a checklist for the PM to go over BEFORE giving him a proposal? That way you could include cleaning up the drywallers' mess as one of the tasks you are going to charge for. Have a signature line for the PM to sign off, then include the checklist with your proposal. This will make it clear what you are and are not being authorized to do. No more headaches as if they ask you to do something not on the checklist you just show them what they agreed to. I would make sure the first time you do this you go over the checklist with the PM and specifically point out the section on cleaning up after the drywallers. I think the PM will get the point. No more need to get upset.

futtyos

·
Registered
0 Posts
the walls hadnt been done yet when I walked for my bid! I keep cursing the drywall guys all day!!!! Thanks for your reply.
I've run into quite a few carpenters also who also think they can just leave their high nails and screws,etc.,for the painter to take care of.Their nails and screws-their responsibility.If not,you have to get paid to fix it. It took me years to learn how to price jobs properly.You have to take your time and look very carefully.Of course, you got blind-sided on this one! Just explain the charge for it,lol

21 - 26 of 26 Posts