Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody been using the stuff that is said to drop dust straight to the floor. If yes, is it as advertised and is the product otherwise up to scratch?

·
Lambrecht Painting
1,607 Posts
I have used it many times and enjoy working with it. Works and feels like regular mud. When sanding the majority of the material will fall straight to the floor but some will still get into the air.

·
17,849 Posts
Has anybody been using the stuff that is said to drop dust straight to the floor. If yes, is it as advertised and is the product otherwise up to scratch?
I have used a good bit of it and it works as advertised but my biggest complaint of the material is it does not seem like it ever fully dries.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
It is soft when dry and will show sanding scratches and dent very easy if you are not careful. Once primed it is fine. I use it for a skim coat on patches only in repaints.. I have done entire basements and one whole house all NC and will not again. The dust falls in clumps into your eye when sanding ceilings! It is hard to sand compared to light weight.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Like any product, it has its place, but yes, the short answer is it does reduces dust significantly. Whip the crap out of it.

Jeff and Different Strokes ("hey", BTW haven't seen you around for awhile?) I found what you say is true with the purple stuff you find at Home Depot. (can't remember the name) Doesn't set hard and clogs the sand paper. Didn't like it at all.

This stuff (Rona) on the other hand works much better.

The biggest problem is these are slow to dry.

I've tried the Hyde (Richard's in Canada) system, coupled with a Dust Duty to my shop vac. Dust deputy works great, but too much suction from a shop vac, screen gets sucked to wall and leaves scratches too easily.

Sorry to be a broken record here, but going to a Festool extractor coupled with a Mirka screen hand sander is a game changer. Its not perfect either :)eek:), but its so effective I'm going to go back to mixing my own quick set.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Sorry, pic was on phone. Can't figure out how to edit.

image-1264335573.jpg

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Those screens make a mess of the finish coat of mud!

Rona is 2 hours away... All I get is CGC in the purple. Over the next few weeks we will level 4 finish and sand about 16,000 board feet and then prime and paint it! We will use a mask!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
The problem with all these options is they can't perform well if you can't regulate the suction.

Any of these attached to a shop vac running 'full-on' will suck to the wall and take away the control from the user.

Reactions: Workaholic

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I have taken the time to tweek all these issues, also including getting too much dust in the vac. I think i wrote it out earlier- but if someone is seriously interested I will do it again. I also have a "sanding sponge on a hose" thingy that just today I found another tweakage for.
Being minimal dust on redos is a great sales tool, besides making life easier at the back end of a job.
I know some will point and laugh, but it works!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts