Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I saw some ad online selling these metal clips [straps] to repair drywall, without having to fasten to a stud or other backing. Has anyone seen these?

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
I got a 3x3 patch I got to do on monday. 5/8 inch fire rated.

I don't want to cut out a hole bigger than I have to. Don't think a stir stick will cut it either...

I got a bunch of 1x1 I was going to use.

Thoughts?

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
3 x 3 ...... feet or inches.

seriously (I know it's obvious to you)

if it's a 3 x 3 inch, the so called california hot patch

if its feet, catch the stud or two that are exposed and back the "floating" edges with the 1 x 1 's screwed to the existing sheet rock and screw the patch the 1 x 1's. Then tape and mud

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you are a "pro" you should not need to hit a stud or have some special clips.

I normally use any piece of wood that is longer than the hole I'm trying to patch. If my hole is 4x4 then I would use 2 small pieces about 7 or 8 inches long, one on the right side of the hole and one on the left. Center the piece in the hole and use screws to told the wood to the existing drywall. Next use screws to hold the patch piece to the wood I put in place.

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
Oden said:
A blowout patch is what I call it and for a 3 by 3 it would do nicely.
For exteriors back in the day when I wasn't a pro ya know an somebody didn't want to spring for wood repair we used to do "flash patches" over rotten wood. Cut some metal flashing an caulk the back of it then stick it over the rot. Maybe a few flashing nails if I was in a good mood.... Get what you pay for right ?

·
Registered
647 Posts
A piece of one by four works nicely and is usually readily available. For many larger patches it is not difficult to cut it back to the studs for the best fix.

I have ever used the clips, but they dont look worth the learning curve/expense/ordering and delivery time, IMO.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
3x3 feet

It's inside a hospital...

Do you think it's kosher to cut my pieces up in the open hallway? ;)
I would cut some 3/4" plywood 2" strips to frame the inside of the hole, fasten with screws and then screw the patch to the ply.

If you aren't making enough dust cutting the sheet rock in the hall, you could always bring some extra :thumbsup:. and do not forget the 20" box fan for better dispersal :rolleyes:

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
A piece of one by four works nicely and is usually readily available. For many larger patches it is not difficult to cut it back to the studs for the best fix.
Good point. enlarge it to 4 feet to the studs.

·
Banned
3,745 Posts
For exteriors back in the day when I wasn't a pro ya know an somebody didn't want to spring for wood repair we used to do "flash patches" over rotten wood. Cut some metal flashing an caulk the back of it then stick it over the rot. Maybe a few flashing nails if I was in a good mood.... Get what you pay for right ?
I used to smash some wood filler type fil it in stuff on such problem areas at a similar stage of my early craftmanship development.

·
Registered
633 Posts
3x3 feet

It's inside a hospital...

Do you think it's kosher to cut my pieces up in the open hallway? ;)
I have noticed that the USG Ultralight makes a lot less dust when you are scoring and breaking it. We cut about 25 8 ft pieces down to 7 ft and had nearly no dust on the customers black driveway when done. Seems odd but true.

·
TERRY365
521 Posts
If ya had a containment area ! A couple of zip poles and some poly . I care a little japanese
Ninja saw is what I call it . In my drywall bag perfect for cutting on the spot . If not cut 2 pieces outside . 1 by 4 work good . In most cases ,if I can I will run one side to a stud .

·
TERRY365
521 Posts
Also 5 min mudd all day everyday . For one patch
With a hair dryer boom bang out of there.
But also being a hospital the festool would be needed . I use to do painting and drywall repairs for a hospital lots of walking . Bring everything with ya .

1 - 20 of 39 Posts