Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts on SW Duration Home: matte vs. satin on walls? Custom painting of light colors throughout the house, using good quality flat (SW extra white) on the ceilings. HO has painted there master bedroom with BM Regal. I will be tightening up there lines.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I am still deciding on the matte finish having seen it on a few different projects. I like the satin, and have used it quite a few times, however it has a higher sheen than an average satin finish that actually borderlines a semigloss (imho).
It is very shiny.
It covers as well if not better than Super Paint, without the brush drag.

·
House Painting Reading PA
419 Posts
I used it one time before a few years ago. I did not like it that well. If I ever use matte, it will be Benjamin Moore Regal Matte. This coating was my main product choice. The first time i used it, one of my work boots was moved and made a scuff mark on the wall that was painted an hour before. We did a test and wiped it clean with awesome results. That sold me. It also touches up really well.

There is another coating I use from Sherwin Williams called Cashmere Interior Acrylic Latex. Very decent paint coatings for high end repaints.

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
SW claims "Super Paint" is thier best covering paint.

Duration matte is shiny like everyone else said. Can't imagine even using the satin.

BM Regal is a better paint coverage wise than Duration.(IMHO)

·
House Painting Reading PA
419 Posts
Matte is a French word that means flat, so go figure what the manufacturers of paint are doing to make it shiny. :eek:

The French word for Shiny is Brillant. Thats close to Brilliant, so I guess all of our brilliant white paint needs to be shiny?

·
Registered
488 Posts
their matte is like eggshell. REALLY RUNNY to paint with, dries hard as nails. I just picked up 3 mistint gallons a second ago of the satin. Will see.
I dont see the really runny part of it. It is really smooth and easy to apply in my opinion. However it does hatband easy and the satin looks much better and doesnt have the drying problems.

·
PNITEX
307 Posts
their matte is like eggshell. REALLY RUNNY to paint with, dries hard as nails.

Dittos = runny, dries quick and matte is between flat and egshell. As long as your ready to go full throttle around the room you should be fine.

·
Registered
417 Posts
going to repeat pretty much what's already been said. Duration matte is a bit thin-ish, dries hard as nails, goes smooth, and looks great when dry. My only real complaint with it is it's feel. It doesnt have that smooth "acrylic'y" feel compared to other paints in it's class. Can't describe it effectively. It covers, looks, and performs awesomely, just doesnt feel as smooth and some would like.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here is a before and after of mine. The after is Duration satin. The before is BLP Mobile I think. I use more of the matte. But don't mind using either.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use it almost exclusively on repaints. Can't beat it. Works great in bathrooms, won't leave streaks from condesantion. Never had any trouble with matte or satin. I usually use the matte, and just use satin in kitchens or bathrooms, or high traffic areas and areas that get more abuse. Great coverage, and it can be tinted in dark colors. I hate color accents. Used semi-gloss once on trim. Won't ever do that again. I like it better than Aura. Cashmere is really good too, levels out really nice. But the Duration is only a few dollars more than the Cashmere. 200 low sheen is ok. Can picture frame really easy with certain colors. The pro industrial precat waterborne epoxy is really durable and scrubbable. Comes in egshell or semi.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts