Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Paintist
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently quoted an exterior with SuperPaint. I gave them a 1 coat price and a 2 coat price. The HO came to me and asked why 2 coats. So I gave her reasons why such as proper build, uniformity, proper application (warranty) ect. She said neither of the other bids mentioned 2 coats. She then came to me and asked about Duration. I'm sure she did some research and saw "one coat on repaint for lifetime warranty." Now I know Duration is a great paint and I have used it many times, but I am a little skeptical when it comes to a "lifetime warranty" vs a 25 year warranty. When I price Duration for one coat it is more than 1 coat of SuperPaint but less than 2 coats of Super. Maybe my pricing strategy is off but I can see an easy up sell to Duration but I just do not think it will last a lifetime and I don't want to be in the middle of a paint manufacture warranty battle. Maybe I need to be clear on "my" warranty vs "their" warranty. How do you handle selling Super vs Duration and maybe for some of the 'old timers' does one coat of Duration really last a lifetime? Does two coats of Super really last 25 years?

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
Why would you quote a 1 coat price when one coat would effectively nullify a mfg's warranty, (due to required mil thickness), thereby putting any warranty issues solely on you? Doesn't make any sense what so ever. You might just as well use some cheap off-brand.

The 25 yr and Lifetime warranties are mainly just a selling/marketing issue for the Mfg's. Usually what you'll end up seeing is some substrate failure not caused by the paint causing failure. Rotting wood, damaged siding, etc.. Plenty of threads here on 1 coat vs 2 coats.

·
4,698 Posts
I don't understand why one would give a one coat AND a two coat bid. It's either one or the other. When you think you could get it done in one coat, you should have told them............one coat, two coats where needed.

·
17,818 Posts
Unless it is simply a maintenance coat for something that is going to the be the same color and been painted not long ago you should go with two coats. I used a good bit of Resilience this last year which I liked, it is in between Duration and SP in the product line.

·
17,818 Posts
You liked Resilience? Really? I couldn't get it to one coat white on white where caulked cracks in posts mildewed under the current paint (A100).
I have not had any problems like that on a two coat paint job. I hate A100 I think it is pretty transparent.

I just reread you could not get it to cover the same color? Weird I used a lot of it last season and had no problems.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
So you believe that one coat of Duration will out last two coats of Super?
Nope. You still have to build up the mil thickness to meet the mfg's specs. Sure, I may be able to effectively cover everything in a single coat to where it looks decent, but it won't perform as well unless it is applied to specs.

·
Paintist
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a bad experience with Resilience on some shutters and a front door last year that turned me away from it. The paint remained tacky for weeks, actually months. It didn't seem to cure right. These shutters were made by a cabinet shop out of mahogany. Not cheap. I oil primed them and two coats of Resilience. The HO called ticked that these and their front door were still tacky. That $30ish a gallon "lifetime warranty" paint really didn't matter. The reimbursement of that one gallon wouldn't have justified the cost to redo these shutters. However, months later they did dry but it really taught me what the warranty means. Nothing. Haven't touched it since.

Wolf- The Duration specs on repaint is one coat with proper prep qualifies for warranty. I also do not think it will out perform two coats of Super but by their specs it will and that is what HO doing research see. If this be true, why in the heck would you do anything else??

·
17,818 Posts
I hear ya, I have not had any of those problems that you and Straight have had, if I had I would probably be sitting here saying it is crap.

Bottom line is screw SW. :laughing:

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I hear ya, I have not had any of those problems that you and Straight have had, if I had I would probably be sitting here saying it is crap.

You understand what I was saying? Ona beach house on pilings they are usually 6x6 or greater treated. The splits get caulked after primer usually oil, and that caulk will discolor like mildew under the top coats.

Same white in Resilience wouldn't cover the discolored caulking in one coat. This wasn't a bad repaint maybe 4 yrs old form NC. Something any good paint should do imo.

·
314 255-2201
199 Posts
Its a numbers game, the warranty become void if the homeowner sells there house, the average HO keeps there house for 10 years. The warranty is just for your cost of the paint, 30 years from know duration is going to be $150 a gallon. When you sell a homeowner the product you cut the warranty off the can and give it to them. Let the homeowner and Sherwin Williams deal with each other.

·
17,818 Posts
You understand what I was saying? Ona beach house on pilings they are usually 6x6 or greater treated. The splits get caulked after primer usually oil, and that caulk will discolor like mildew under the top coats.

Same white in Resilience wouldn't cover the discolored caulking in one coat. This wasn't a bad repaint maybe 4 yrs old form NC. Something any good paint should do imo.
Interesting, did they slip a pastel base on you?

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
I like this thread now :whistling2: :thumbup:

It doesnt matter the product, or the manufacturer. In order to cover the warranty it needs to be applied properly and to the Mfr's specs. Most product warranty's are product replacement only. They're covering a $30'ish can of paint, you're warrantying a $3k ( example ) paint job. I wouldnt base my warranty on theirs. If you choose to offer a warranty, the job need to be done YOUR way, with the products YOU choose...its YOUR warranty after all. Am I right?

·
Paintist
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
NC- I agree with you. I haven't offered a warranty in the past, my clients rarely even ask about one. I think it is time I specify mine vs theirs. I don't even mention the can warranty unless they ask.
Don't get me wrong guys, I'm all about doing proper prep and application by the can's specs. I just have a hard time thinking one coat of Duration is better than two of Super. And price wise, one of Duration is cheaper than two of Super. EASY up sell but I don't believe it... I might be wrong since I'm not a chemist or since I haven't been in business long enough to see the difference between 25 years and lifetime...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts