Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Dutch Boy or Pittsburgh Paints?

95K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  finishesbykevyn 
Using paint and primer in one NEVER takes the place of primer. I'm not going to bash Behr paint, but I have learned that priming first is always better when a primer is needed. You have apparently drank the Home Depot Koolaid. :jester:
With PPG, that is no longer true; both Evolution and Timeless are true, self priming paints. The world of paint is really advancing! Most "Paint & Primer" paints are still a lie! PPG is moving that needle.

The question is, when will we know that needle has arrived? Can’t really take the paint company’s word for it and in order to determine first hand that it has become a true primer-less product would take us a long time of checking the finished jobs to evaluate how they are performing and holding up over time.
Well, with the 2 I named, Timeless & Evolution, I have used both and the truth can always be found in the data sheets. What one needs pay attention to is the surface recomedations in those data sheets. Timeless is no longer available in Canada. I used it on a gazebo about 5-6 years ago for a regular client and it is still looking great today. No primer of any kind was used on that job. As for the evolutiion, there is another thread that goes on extensively about my experience there. I plan to make SICO Evolution SICO=PPG) my go to paint now. I liked it better than the Manor Hall that I did prefer. Again, taken at the word of PPG & the data sheet, I did no spot priming on any of the repair work on that job. The tape test said its priming ability was excellent! So, how would we know? I suggest reading data sheets on any untried product. Also, if you read the fine print on most cans of "Paint & Primer", you can clearly read that you don't need primer on any surface where you would not consider primer anyway. They do tell you that primer IS required in all the areas we knew need to be primed. Data sheets are the answer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.