Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Dutch Boy or Pittsburgh Paints?

95K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  finishesbykevyn 
#1 ·
Has anybody ever use Dutch Boy or Pittsburgh paints? This HO I'm going to be starting a job for shortly has said that he's going to be buying one of those brands because he's a big Menard's shopper. Given that those 2 only come from a big box store, will they suck to work with? I certainly do not want a re-do of Behr or Valspar. I mean, I'll try to use any paint, but let's face, some are worse than others.

#2 ·
Not sure where you get the notion that PPG only comes from a big box store. A numer of lumber yards and independent paint stores around here carry it, they seem to be all over Ohio. PPG was our mainstay for many years, until our main supplier switched brands.

The problem with getting it from a big box is usually the limited selection of product lines.

#4 · (Edited)
PPG is generally a good brand of paint.

As a professional, you'll find that you will be much better off if you decide to work with one or two brands of quality paints and a few products within those brands rather than having the customer dictate what you'll be using. You'll have a much better idea of the type of performance you can expect which will allow you to give more accurate bids and, correspondingly, achieve higher profits.

The only time I use the customer's paint is if it's a rescue job where they've started and need someone to bail them out. And I rarely do any of those any more - they are too much of a PITA.

#15 ·
PPG is generally a good brand of paint.

As a professional, you'll find that you will be much better off if you decide to work with one or two brands of quality paints and a few products within those brands rather than having the customer dictate what you'll be using. You'll have a much better idea of the type of performance you can expect which will allow you to give more accurate bids and, correspondingly, achieve higher profits.

The only time I use the customer's paint is if it's a rescue job where they've started and need someone to bail them out. And I rarely do any of those any more - they are too much of a PITA.
I charge for labor&various personal supplies used w/the benefit being the customer pays for the core supplies. So far, in 18yrs I've been able to list which/what brand to get&where. Or how many times it's saved me from taking the hit upon blowing up into so much more as it inevitably does every so often. Saved me from myself as well&seen more than once; Either doing bit more as favor/simply being nice OR have you believe/think they'd be the last person to screw you over only to discover in the end...

#7 ·
Have Used Dutch Boy & Pittsburg Paints

Many years ago I have used both brands and they proved to be very good,
However, now we are only using BEHR, we like the Ultra Paint & Primer, it saves on the priming step, the coverage is great, They have a new line called Marquee which we started using on our Exteriors last summer and now here, they have just introduced the Interior formulated one coat
(this I gotta see)

I agree with the other comments of sticking to one paint that you know how it works for you in your area, that way you can price out your job better if you know how your paint works out, I think that getting the Home owner to get the paint is a very bad idea, and as you know there are formulas that cover better and go further.

Going with Behr at least you know you can go to any Home Depot in North America and get the same product.

Painting by Hart
Vancouver Island, B.C.
Canada

#9 ·
Many years ago I have used both brands and they proved to be very good,
However, now we are only using BEHR, we like the Ultra Paint & Primer, it saves on the priming step, the coverage is great, They have a new line called Marquee which we started using on our Exteriors last summer and now here, they have just introduced the Interior formulated one coat
(this I gotta see)

I agree with the other comments of sticking to one paint that you know how it works for you in your area, that way you can price out your job better if you know how your paint works out, I think that getting the Home owner to get the paint is a very bad idea, and as you know there are formulas that cover better and go further.

Going with Behr at least you know you can go to any Home Depot in North America and get the same product.

Painting by Hart
Vancouver Island, B.C.
Canada

Using paint and primer in one NEVER takes the place of primer. I'm not going to bash Behr paint, but I have learned that priming first is always better when a primer is needed. You have apparently drank the Home Depot Koolaid. :jester:

This post has been deleted
#19 ·
Did you join paint talk just to complain about your deck or are you actually a painting contractor? Because yes, this site is for professionals.
PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

If you're not a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.